Tomorrow - 13 Nov
    Chile v Peru
    Santiago

Colombia v Uruguay
    Barranquilla

Brasil v Venezuela
    Morumbi
    Sao Paulo
    Last edited by jason voorhees; 13-11-2020, 02:13.

Comment

Paraguay shows that Copa America wasn't a fluke, and goes up 1-0 again on Argentina. Argentina then takes 67-33% possession and gets one before the half. Now Argentina gets another VAR (Video Assisted Robbery) call when a ball obviously hits the bicep, then Messi gets the 2nd a minute later.

2-1 Argentina
      Last edited by jason voorhees; 13-11-2020, 01:21.

Comment

I guess CON-ME-BULL checked the tweets, and figured out some way to take Argentina's goal away.

DisasVARous game. 1-1.

Comment

Bolivia 2:3 Ecuador
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ReLB0JZB-E

Argentina 1:1 Paraguay
          ​​​​​​ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcbKQmOH1T0
          (Miguel Almiron gets a second yellow, has to miss the next game against Bolivia)
          Last edited by jason voorhees; 13-11-2020, 02:12.

Comment

Small shocker, especially with how both teams were doing up until today and Colombia playing at home.

Colombia 0:3 Uruguay
            ​​​​​​https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpwFtn-iXEQ (Awesome echo chamber reverb special announcer)

Comment

Chile 2:0 Peru
              Real good game, bringing Chile back from the dead. All the highlights posted so far are crap, so I'll post those tomorrow.

Brasil 0:0 Venezuela 1T
              Real watchable game as well. Yeferson Alberto Soteldo has been as much a pain in the neck for Brasil as he is for Santos in the Brasilian league. Put in a real nice cross. I had too many late nights the past week, so it's bedtime for me at 10:30pm.

But here's some Soteldo highlights - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QrHPoGt4ng

Comment

Brazil beat Venezuela 1-0

Comment

Originally posted by jason voorhees View Post
                  I guess CON-ME-BULL checked the tweets, and figured out some way to take Argentina's goal away.

DisasVARous game. 1-1.
                  The foul spotted by VAR to disallow Messi's effort happened just a long time before the goal........the highlights attached by Jason don't seem to be available in the UK. These are better than the CONMEBOL highlights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9CyJA4WP_Q

Comment

Jason, are you saying that the disallowing of the 2nd goal was a makeup call by VAR officials for fucking up the first goal?

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                      Jason, are you saying that the disallowing of the 2nd goal was a makeup call by VAR officials for fucking up the first goal?
                      Lil' bit lil' bit.

Comment

Ecuadorian football is having a golden spell at both club and national level. They've just thrashed Colombia 6-1.

Venezuela get their first points by beating Chile 2-1.

Currently playing are Paraguay who are 1 up against Bolivia and Brazil for whom Arthur has scored his first international goal to give them the lead in Uruguay who were unlucky not to go ahead themselves when Nunez smashed the ball against Ederson's crossbar.

Edit: a Richarlison header makes it 2-0 just before half-time.

Comment

Two semi-shockers early...

Ecuador 6:1 Colombia
                          Colombia's free fall continues in a November Nightmare (aggregate score of 1:9 in two games.)
                          Ecuador looked like Brasil '82. Insano Golazos. Brilliant one-touch Zico shit.
                          ​​​​​​https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPDDLhD2qKg

Venezuela 2:1 Chile
                          The Vinotintos finally broke through after a few valiant 1-0 losses.
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18ikB1xTTqc

Paraguay is tied 1-1 with Bolivia at the Defensores del Chaco (and apparently there are a TON of Bolivians in the city judging from the fireworks that went off on the equalizer a few minutes ago.)

Uruguay is down 0-2 at home to Brazil.

Here's my edit: Bolivia nails another one! 2-1.
                          Last edited by jason voorhees; 18-11-2020, 01:11.

Comment

PAR 2:2 BOL
                            Balls out intense game. One I'm happy the crowd wasn't there; with Paraguay getting VARRED out of a goal, scoring the game-tying goal about 60 seconds later, then two reds getting VARRED into yellows, a ref's correct decision getting VARRED into an even more correct decision (by a foul getting called 2 feet away from the penalty area and getting moved to 2 inches from the penalty area,) and a bunch of cheap shots all over the place. Paraguay wasn't happy to drop the 2 points, but they grew as a team and scored without Almiron.

Paraguay's challenge will be getting past Uruguay and seeing if Colombia straightens themselves out. The top 3 are Brazil-Argentina-Ecuador, and all 3 are showing no signs of losing anytime soon.

Bolivia was quite dangerous on the break, and will have some confidence in the next round of games. No team is on zero points anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOJTS8AMTwE

Comment

Argentina is up 2-0 on Peru. As of right now, and if that holds......

1) BRA......4-0-0......12-2.......12
                              2) ARG.....3-1-0.......6-2........10
                              3) ECU.....3-0-1.......13-6.......9
                              4) PAR.....1-3-0........6-5.........6
                              5) URU.....2-0-2.......7-7.........6
                              6) CHI......1-1-2.......6-6.........4
                              7) COL.....1-1-2.......6-11.......4
                              8) VEN.....1-0-3.......2-6.........3
                              9) PER.....0-1-3.......4-10.......1
                              10) BOL....0-1-3......5-12.......1

Comment

Neymar goes up 1-0 against Paraguay in the 4th or 5th minute.

Couldn't have been any shockier of shocking defending.

Decent game so far. A few corners for both teams.

Ecuador has a horrible start to this round with 2 straight losses in a week to Brasil and now Peru.

That was Peru's first win.

Argentina is up 2-1 on Colombia in the 77th.

Comment

Colombia ties it in injury time!
                                  2-2 FT

Comment

Originally posted by jason voorhees View Post
                                    Colombia ties it in injury time!
                                    2-2 FT
                                    rather infuriatingly,premier sports pitiful catch up service missed the sorta important injury time at the end of this

Comment

DAT SUX.

1) BRA......6-0-0......16-2......18
                                      2) ARG.....3-3-0.......9-5........12
                                      3) ECU.....3-0-3.......14-10......9
                                      4) URU.....2-2-2.......11-13......8
                                      5) COL.....2-2-2.......11-13......8
                                      6) PAR.....1-4-1.......6-7........ .7
                                      7) CHI.... .1-3-2.......8-8..........6
                                      8) BOL. ...1-2-3......9-14...... ..5
                                      9) VEN.....1-1-4......3-9..........4
                                      10) PER...1-1-4......6-14........4

Comment

I notice that many South American leagues haven't bothered with a break this week, unlike in Europe. Would this be due to the small number of domestic players in the squads, bad planning or something else?

Comment

In the case of Argentina it's because they've got to cram 25 rounds of league matches between the Copa América and the end of the year to allow for a calendar flip to a year-round championship next year. I'm not sure about the others. It's not unusual in many countries, though, most notably Brazil.

The bigger story is the decisions by the Premier League, LaLiga, Serie A and Liga NOS (and perhaps some others) to back their clubs in not releasing players going to red-zone countries (this terminology might be different for the leagues that aren't the PL, of course) for this window. Argentina's lot are all travelling anyway (and according to Aston Villa, the Emilianos Buendía and Martínez do so with the club's blessing) but Brazil were rather panicky that their players might not force the issue as much, and Uruguay will be without Edinson Cavani at least after (according to Manchester United's website) they agreed to cancel his call-up.

The LaLiga decision was thrown out by the Court of Arbitration for Sport in what must be the CAS's fastest ever decision. I've not seen anything on FIFA's response to it but they really ought to be throwing the book at the English, Spanish, Italian and Portuguese FAs for it, and the book ought to be the big bumper large-print illustrated hardback edition of À la recherche du temps perdu in a fancy lead-plated slipcase. Imagine if England were playing a country the UK Government says is in the red zone and that country's two or three best players happened to play for PL clubs. Besides which they're only moving between bubbles anyway, and the UK currently has five times the number of new cases Argentina is recording each day. What difference are twenty- or thirty-odd sportspeople who are going to be tested every day and will be spending every minute they're not playing matches either training or in their hotel rooms going to make?
                                          Last edited by Sam; 31-08-2021, 05:35.

Comment

I agree with your points, Sam. The legal situation seems grey to say the least. I thought clubs were duty bound to release players. And what if a player wants to go but his club prevents him?

Comment

Well quite. Under FIFA's rules (which were suspended for one or two breaks when friendlies were played in the last twelve months, but are not suspended for this window) they do indeed have to release them. If I were President of FIFA then the night after those leagues started putting their press releases out I'd have had several rum and tonics and then sent each of the FAs in those countries a rudely worded letter informing them that since they weren't sticking to the rules they'd signed up to, they weren't going to be allowed to take part in the 2022 World Cup. That would obviously result in the FAs taking FIFA to CAS, but CAS has shown us with the LaLiga ruling where they'd come down on that one. FIFA won't do that though, obviously.

Comment

I've never had a rum and tonic. Gin, vodka; never rum.

Comment

One thing I've found since I stopped drinking Coke (and other brands of cola) a few years ago is that everything that's normally mixed with Coke tastes at least as good and often better with tonic.

Comment

https://twitter.com/JuanG_Arango/status/1432352348970442752?s=20

Reportedly these four will play only the first two of the qualifiers before returning to Europe

Comment

Working...
                                                    X