No announcement yet.

Rope A Doper: Champions League Group Stage 2020-21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.....aaaaaand they go 1 up thanks to a decent cross and some dozy defending.

Firmino, Jota and Fabinho replace Origi, Salah and Wijnaldum.

Comment

0-2, rodrygo scores with his first touch.
      Last edited by Jon; 25-11-2020, 21:56.

Comment

Not seen 4 subs at the same time before.

2-0

Comment

Gomes looks a more than decent player

Comment

More utterly useless defending.

Comment

Oh, hang on, Robertson came on as well.

Comment

Mrs Thistle woke up on the sofa, asked who was playing and thought I said Liverpool versus Atlantis. "What, the under the sea people?"

Comment

Webbed fingers are good for goalkeeping.

Comment

Liverpool have played like shite, and that scoreline is exactly what they deserve out of it.

Comment

Klopp looked utterly deflated at the end.

Comment

Well, it means he has to put a side out to do a job against Ajax in the middle of a pretty hectic run of games. Not sure that was what he had in mind.

Comment

I liked the Atalanta shirts tonight. Forgot to mention it earlier.

Comment

I'm starting to wonder if Klopp's complaining about injuries is affecting the players who are still fit, who must still have cost a lot more money than Atalanta's XI. Atalanta also have a congested programme, not just Liverpool.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                              A pretty dominant first half for Madrid, despite many players out. It's 0-1, a hazard penalty, but the main talking point of the half has been Vidal completely losing his shit after getting a yellow card only to receive a second yellow. Even then it took him some three minutes or so to finally leave the pitch. Earlier on, BMG thrashed shakhtar Donetsk and top the group.
                              I can't find a single match report that engages with the question about whether or not Vidal was actually fouled. To me it looked like he definitely was, and this was the sort of penalty that VAR should have given after close examination. But when Vidal screamed at Taylor, and then got (correctly) sent off after continuing to scream, despite a yellow card already having been thrust in his face, did VAR bottle the call? That is, it would look pretty bad for the officiating team if a player gets sent off for protesting a decision, and then that decision is overturned.

Comment

Repubblica's match report says the contact was very similar to that given earlier as a penalty to Madrid.

La Gazzetta is more equivocal.

Comment

It's odd that some reporters are so opinionated about certain penalty calls, but go all quiet when something doesn't appear to be so clear-cut, like they don't want to be in the minority. The kicker play-by-play commentary on Tuesday described the penalty given for Manchester United as "a very, very hard decision", even though Rashford was clearly charged at from the side - 100% nailed-on penalty call (though I needed the behind-the-goal camera to confirm it after the first look). Their match report later, though, described the call in neutral terms. It does emphasise how tough penalty calls are for referees, and why in such cases VAR is a worthwhile thing - provided it's consistent, which in Vidal's case it clearly wasn't.

Also interesting was the Salzburg goal at Bayern. VAR took an age to give it, even though the scorer looked slightly offside when they stilled the replay. They've stopped drawing the lines across the screen, which I think is a good thing. If they've also stopped cancelling out goals like this that may have been offside by a toe-nail, then that's also a good thing.

Comment

I didn't realise VAR was in use in Champions league games. I think I'm lucky because I don't recall it being used in the (few) games I've watched.

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
                                      It's odd that some reporters are so opinionated about certain penalty calls, but go all quiet when something doesn't appear to be so clear-cut, like they don't want to be in the minority. The kicker play-by-play commentary on Tuesday described the penalty given for Manchester United as "a very, very hard decision", even though Rashford was clearly charged at from the side - 100% nailed-on penalty call (though I needed the behind-the-goal camera to confirm it after the first look). Their match report later, though, described the call in neutral terms. It does emphasise how tough penalty calls are for referees, and why in such cases VAR is a worthwhile thing - provided it's consistent, which in Vidal's case it clearly wasn't.

Also interesting was the Salzburg goal at Bayern. VAR took an age to give it, even though the scorer looked slightly offside when they stilled the replay. They've stopped drawing the lines across the screen, which I think is a good thing. If they've also stopped cancelling out goals like this that may have been offside by a toe-nail, then that's also a good thing.
                                      They still use the lines on the screen. They used them in the lead up to the rashford penalty. What's wrong with them? The camera usually isn't looking straight down the line of play, and that can be seriously misleading

Comment

They should look at the picture for no more than five seconds, without lines, and if it's not clearly offside to the naked eye then the goal should stand, because the linesman will not have made "a clear and obvious error". Cancelling out goals for millimetre-marginal infringements is against the sprit of the game and the purpose of the offside law, as well as contradicting the stated purpose of VAR (see previous sentence). And it depresses/infuriates me every time I see it happen, which is the main reason they should stop it.

Comment

Every likelihood now of a first-ever Real group stage crashout.

Comment

Don't jinx it, please

Comment

Liverpool giving Caoimhin Kelleher a debut* in goal tonight as Alisson is out with a 'tight muscle' (there'd been a rumour doing the rounds locally that he had Covid). Big vote of confidence in the lad to put him in ahead of Adrian.

(*debut in a proper game, he's had a couple of starts in weakened teams in the domestic cups)
                                              Last edited by Third rate Leszno; 01-12-2020, 19:47.

Comment

And boosts his case in terms of future Irish caps, to boot.

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate Leszno View Post
                                                  Liverpool giving Caoimhin Kelleher a debut* in goal tonight as Alisson is out with a 'tight muscle' (there'd been a rumour doing the rounds locally that he had Covid). Big vote of confidence in the lad to put him in ahead of Adrian.

(*debut in a proper game, he's had a couple of starts in weakened teams in the domestic cups)
                                                  https://twitter.com/JamesPearceLFC/s...159842304?s=19

Queev!

Comment

I mean, my half-Irish Mrs pronounced it that way, so...

Anyway. For my birthday Real Madrid got dumped out of the competition. So that's nice.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X