Trophy Life - Matchgoing Sept 25 - Oct 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trophy Life - Matchgoing Sept 25 - Oct 1

I thought I'd roll in the weekend and midweek matchgoing threads, as there's less games around to do.

The FA Trophy starts tomorrow and I'm off to the only tie in London, Northwood v Basildon United. I'm not sure I've ever attended fixtures in the FA Cup, Trophy and Vase by the end of September before but knockout ties seem the most attractive option at the moment.

Tuesday night I am threatening to take my brother to Ware v Barking in the Isthmian South Central for his 49th birthday as he lives locally. He seems unfathomably keen on the idea having barely seen a game all year but I'm awaiting his confirmation. Perhaps with everything else under curfew he realises there are few other options.

Bought advance tickets for Warrington Town vs Gainsborough Trinity on Saturday and Crawley Wasps vs MK Women on Sunday.

Comment

I'm not sure it will prove to be a wise decision but tomorrow I'm opting for Millwall v Brentford on iFollow.

On Tuesday, I'm considering AFC Mansfield v Penistone Church, partly due to the visitors' name and partly to edge closer to the 200 ground target.

Comment

Poynton v Egerton in the Cheshire League. Hopefully better luck than my last attempt to go there, when a sudden downpour caused the game to be postponed about ten minutes before it should have kicked off.

Comment

As it looks set to be a sunny Sunday I'm off to the coast with a plan to go to Eastbourne Town v Hassocks in the afternoon.

Comment

Are you non-league followers seeing any evidence of larger 'crowds' than normal (even with restrictions) at lower tiered games? People desperate to watch live football seeking out anything they can get to?

Comment

So far, yes. Crowds seemed up by 50 - 100% for most of the games I've been to.

Comment

I'm tempted to go to Brimscombe and Thrupp to see their Hellenic League game against Bishops Cleeve. My cousin will be on the bench again which is an added incentive to go.

Comment

"Brimscombe & Thrupp and Bishop's Cleeve" sounds like a Steeleye Span song title.

Comment

Bohemians 2 Derry City 1

I got a late call to do PA for tonight's game, and for 92 minutes I wish I hadn't because we were as shit as I've seen us in years. Derry took the lead in the second minute, and set out to defend it with anything it took, including a lot of cynical fouling throughout the game. In fairness, we didn't do a lot to trouble them, resorting to the long ball too much, especially when it went straight through to the keeper most of the time. When the board went up with 4 minutes of injury time, I started packing up, cursing my luck for getting this match in the freezing cold. Then, after another attempted attack in the 48th minute, the referee pointed for a Bohs penalty. It was over the far side of the pitch, so I couldn't see what happened clearly, I presume it was a handball. Keith Ward didn't care and buried it. I would have been happy with that, but we got a chance to launch one more free kick in, and after a scramble in the box, Andre Wright buried it from 6 yards to seal the most unlikely of victories.

Comment

Was there a crowd?

Comment

No, Dublin's in semi lockdown so it's only essential staff. Outside Dublin and Donegal, crowds of up to 100 are allowed.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                          So far, yes. Crowds seemed up by 50 - 100% for most of the games I've been to.
                          Yes, agree with that.

Comment

Potters Bar Town v Cheshunt for me on Tuesday, with a possible bonus game on Monday in the London area.

I am however tempted to gatecrash Ray's Ware v Barking jaunt and give a socially distanced wave to someone taller the me. Barking were good value for their 6-1 win v Dunstable in the FA Cup, albeit against lower opposition.

Last Saturday I drove past Porthmadog's ground on the way to, and from, walking up Snowdon, and very tidy the ground looked too for a ground next to a bypass.

Comment

And yes to bigger crowds, but a lot seem to be groundhoppers making up for lost time.

Comment

Welcome to give us a wave and even say hello, Trin. I was thrown by you knowing my height but I suppose I must have revealed it on here some time before.

Comment

West Essex 2-3 Walthamstow
                                  Essex Senior League

First Friday night football of the season, played at Barking's Mayesbrook Park.

West Essex are unbeaten in the league so far, and won 8-1 in the Vase on Sunday, whereas Stow have already lost twice in the league and have needed penalties in the last three cup games.

A bonkers first half an hour. West were 2-0 up after just five minutes thanks to a goalkeeping howler and some pretty non-existent defending. But within ten minutes Stow were level, and took the lead on 25. As is often the case when games start like this, there was no further scoring, though both teams missed a good few chances.

I really like Barking's ground. They've put a 4G pitch in, and tidied up the terracing a bit, but the buildings are all cobbled together from shipping containers and portakabins - gives it quite a homely feel.

Off to New Bradwell St Peter v Pitstone & Ivinghoe this afternoon.

Comment

Buried lede there is West Essex are wearing West Germany's Italia 90 kit

Comment

Originally posted by Forest Gump View Post
                                      West Essex 2-3 Walthamstow
                                      Essex Senior League

First Friday night football of the season, played at Barking's Mayesbrook Park.

West Essex are unbeaten in the league so far, and won 8-1 in the Vase on Sunday, whereas Stow have already lost twice in the league and have needed penalties in the last three cup games.

A bonkers first half an hour. West were 2-0 up after just five minutes thanks to a goalkeeping howler and some pretty non-existent defending. But within ten minutes Stow were level, and took the lead on 25. As is often the case when games start like this, there was no further scoring, though both teams missed a good few chances.

I really like Barking's ground. They've put a 4G pitch in, and tidied up the terracing a bit, but the buildings are all cobbled together from shipping containers and portakabins - gives it quite a homely feel.

Off to New Bradwell St Peter v Pitstone & Ivinghoe this afternoon.

2-3?

Comment

It's a great photo, but hard to parse what's going on- from the body language it looks like 'stow are defending and West Essex have just missed a chance, but it can't be that as W-essex's keeper is there

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                          Welcome to give us a wave and even say hello, Trin. I was thrown by you knowing my height but I suppose I must have revealed it on here some time before.
                                          Yes, a discussion about leg room in football grounds I think.

I don't know your shoe size or inside leg measurement!

Comment

South Liverpool 4-0 Aintree Villa (West Cheshire League Division 1)

South Liverpool have been playing at the nearby 4G Hub facility which has been tidily upgraded to allow them to move up to Step 6 (which they would've done already, had last season not been nulled). However the owners of the Hub (and the others in Liverpool) have said that all games there must be played without fans, so South have moved next door to their old turfed pitch in North Field for the time being to ensure that fans can continue to come and watch.

The game wasn't as one-sided as the score might suggest, with newly promoted Villa being fast on the break and having chances of their own in the first half. However South Liverpool are a very good side at this level and really took control in the second half.

Quite a vocal game from both sides, with the visitors being particularly gobby. It was bloody chilly too, the wind coming off the land rather than the usual direction from the nearby river Mersey.

Comment

Poynton 0-5 Egerton

Poynton and Egerton both entered this game having lost all their Cheshire League matches this season. The hosts almost scored within seconds of kickoff, but after that it was the Knutsford-based visitors who dominated. At 2-0 down Poynton had a chance to get back into it but a tame penalty was saved, before Egerton ran away with things. In addition to the five goals they did score, they also hit the woodwork on a couple of occasions, so it could have been worse.

Poynton is a small commuter town to the south of Stockport. The football team are part of a sports club where cricket and tennis are also played. As is required in this part of the world the club also has a lacrosse side, who were European champions in 2018.

Comment

I went to Haringey Borough v Bognor Regis Town with friends who are semi-regulars at Coles Park. It is a nice set up there, although the grandstand was at (distanced) capacity by the time we arrived. Haringey's singing contingent generate a good atmosphere without being irritating. The game followed a satisfying arc, with Haringey going behind but bossing the second half to win 2-1. Tottenham is a bit of a hike from my side of London but I'll definitely try to get over again.

Comment

Thornaby 0-6 Newton Aycliffe (Northern League Division 1)

Not much to say about this one, truly one of those "lucky to get nil" kind of games. It rained for most of it as well. Fair play to Newton Aycliffe, they looked absolutely dynamite and their 5th goal (on 28 minutes!) was a real beauty.

The crowd was a lot lower than in recent weeks, most likely a combination of people being cautious, rubbish weather and extra restrictions putting people off (NHS app required, all spectators and staff to wear masks throughout unless eating or drinking, and an amusing attempt at 'table service only' for pints.) Not sure which of the restrictions are mandated by the league, the local FA, the council or the government at this point.

Still the biggest crowd in the league today, as all teams under the Durham and Northumberland FAs now have a cap of 150, but Thornaby and Redcar Athletic are covered by the North Riding FA which still allows crowds of up to 300.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X