"Taking the knee was a positive message but it's now diluted"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Taking the knee was a positive message but it's now diluted"

Les Ferdinand speaks on behalf of QPR (who chose not to at the weekend) and compares the gesture to the 'clap for carers' thing. He's not belittling it at all but saying now is the time for clubs and the FA to demonstrate actual action not just a symbolic gesture that goes on indefinitely.

I was trying to find a link but I think this an interview Sky have done with him in the last half an hour or so.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54237179

I hope he gets listened to.

Comment

I think this is spot on, actually. It’s just become a bit gimmicky now like the handshakes and it’s almost lost meaning. Action isn’t being taken.

Comment

The Sky commentators criticism has resulted in an outpouring of anger from everyone at QPR, supporters and management alike. Not least because it comes from someone who works for Murdoch media, which is rank hypocrisy of the most blatant kind. But mainly because, as Ferdinand says, the work the club does within the community has been exemplary, especially since Amit Bhatia took over as chairman.

Comment

I liken this to an argument (I'd say discussion, but the other person wasn't prepared to listen to any reasoning) with someone after the first British soldier died in Afghanistan. There was a minute's silence at games that weekend and she stated that they should have a minute's silence every time a British soldier died. I tried to point out to her that if you did, then eventually, if things got so bad, you'd be having a minute's silence at every game and the impact would lose all meaning. That's why you have Remembrance Sunday, etc...

Of course I was wrong, because every soldier is just as important as another and it was deeply unpatriotic of me.

Reading what Les Ferdinand has said today is exactly how I felt at the time. Yes, make an impact with your actions, but you have to follow them up rather than just pay lip service and it becoming part of the norm. I'd tip my hat to him if I wore one.

Comment

I have conflicting feelings about this. There have been some ridiculous minutes silences at matches I have attended - Diana, Kenneth Bigley, some anniversary of Winston Churchill. There are some that, as you say, would be diluted if it was done every time someone dies such as the soldier's as you were suggesting. However, I did think that the taking a knee was OK as well as the kit badges celebrating the NHS.

I think that really it is down to relevance to football and/or football clubs. For instance, if an ex-player or manager of a club or even a widely revered player/manager in the game dies, then there is, of course, every reason for a minute's silence. If a death has a local pertinence - I am thinking of, perhaps, the Manchester bombing - then it is apt. Having said that though, if you are going to do local non-football related then what about a national non-football related death and we are back to Diana.

Equally, although racism and Black Lives Matters does have a relevance in football, am I just predisposed to that because it fits in with my views.

Comment

I'm with Les on this.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                The Sky commentators criticism has resulted in an outpouring of anger from everyone at QPR, supporters and management alike. Not least because it comes from someone who works for Murdoch media, which is rank hypocrisy of the most blatant kind. But mainly because, as Ferdinand says, the work the club does within the community has been exemplary, especially since Amit Bhatia took over as chairman.
                A minor point but Murdoch hasn't owned Sky for two years.

Ferdinand statement seems excellent and someone needed to move this issue forwards.

Comment

Cheers. I'd forgotten (or maybe didn't know that.)

Comment

Originally posted by fatbear View Post
                    I'm with Les on this.
                    Yes, in summary, I think I am as well.

Comment

Good on you, Les. He mentions hashtags and the like in his statement too. Although the blackout on Instagram following the death of George Floyd did at least manage to get rid of one idiot season ticket holder at my club so not entirely unproductive.

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport...loyd-campaign/

Comment

Working...
                      X