Random pages from old programmes and stories behind them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
    That's a nice idea for a New Year photo, using the numbers like that.
    You could do it with two players these days.

Comment

If that's not Mariner, it's his twin brother.

Comment

Wiki insists Mariner didn't play for Plymouth until 73-4. Jim Hinch played number 9 for Plymouth around this time. He's in the middle of the back row. I reckon it's him.

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post
          I'm putting this here by way of an enquiry which has come up elsewhere and I guess it's particularly aimed at Greenlander . I was trying to identify the players and in particular number 9. My first reaction was that it is Paul Mariner because it looks like him but this is from the first two weeks of 1973 and Wiki tells us he joined Argyle in 1973 so he would have needed to join very early in 1973 to have been in the photo. Jim Furnell's the 'keeper and Tony Waiters the manager I think.

Before my time but I'll attempt it.

Good going with Furnell in goals and Tony Waiters in the managerial tracksuit, but it's not Paul Mariner. He did join us in 1973 but not until September. It's Jimmy Hinch in the nine shirt who while prolific enough was blown out the club by Mariner who was another level. Left us for Hereford.

Going by the numbers they wore for us that season the others are Ernie Machin at 7 and Colin Sullivan the 3.

Comment

Many of the old heads will tell you that while Mariner may have been the greatest player to wear the green shirt Jimmy Hinch remains a cult favourite. Apparently he played football like a baby calf but certainly knew how to score a goal. Mariner just knew how to do it better.

Comment

Ta. The story behind the programme is that Plymouth won the cup-tie 1-0 and Boro's manager Stan Anderson resigned after 7 years in charge. He later said that it was his intention to resign whatever the result but given that he had only a few weeks earlier brought in Graeme Souness I'm not sure about that.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenlander View Post

Going by the numbers they wore for us that season the others are Ernie Machin at 7 and Colin Sullivan the 3.
                I've done a bit of digging and it seems I may have got these two wrong.

The 7 is Keith Allen who hadn't been in the team since August due to injury and would eventually retire having never played again while the 3 is Dave Provan of Rangers fame.

Comment

Various clubs have experimented with newspapers for programmes over the years before going back to more ‘conventional’ formats. Derby County had a newspaper for at least two seasons in the mid-1970s and I went to the Baseball Ground a few times when I was studying in Nottingham. One such visit was for a European Cup tie in 1975. The front page shows Archie Gemmill who Slovan Bratislava manager Josef Venglos has identified as the main danger to his team’s progress. Derby won the game 3-0 and went through 3-1 on aggregate. A number of the Bratislava players were later members of the 1976 Czechoslovakia European Championship winning squad.

Comment

That's a really progressive prog, for the time. Translating into foreign?

Also ... half-time alphabets, midweek? Rare. Includes Anglo-Scottish Cup, I assume.

Comment

I see Marian Masny gets a mention, the definition of a player who was unplayable on his home ground but disappeared away from home. In those days Czechoslavakia played all their "must win" games in Bratislava, and Masny was outstanding in a 2-1 win over Don Revie's England side.

Comment

Plymouth also used the newspaper format for a couple of years.

On another note, that York v. Luton programme, was it from a Saturday evening kickoff? York used to play quite a few Saturday evening matches in the late 1960s, & I think Shrewsbury did as well.

Comment

Middlesbrough went down the newspaper route in the 1980s. I'd imagine these are quite rare given that newspapers are more likely to be thrown away, but also because the reason they produced them was because they were hard up and they were getting very small crowds at the time.

The York v Luton game was a standard Saturday 3pm kick-off.

Comment

I was looking through some old programmes last week and this one popped up. I remember going to this game back in 1968 and it was the only time I ever went in the North Stand at Ayresome Park. I don't recognise any of the English names as ever making it at Football League level but perhaps others might. The programme mentions that some of the Westfalen side had played at schoolboy level for West Germany so I was wondering if any of them ever made it to playing at a professional level. I guess they would be aged about 16-18 at the time of this game which would mean that if they had a professional career it would have been in the 70s/early 80s.

Comment

Russmann and Burdenski were both capped at full international level.

Comment

Excellent! Thanks. Unfortunately I don't know if either of them played. People who are far better at that sort of thing than I am have tried, and failed, to find a record of the game.

Comment

Just to add. I’m pretty sure that W. Schafer went on to play for BMG.

Comment

I was looking through some programmes the other day and found this single-sheet four-page effort. Fifty years ago this weekend I went with my younger brother to see Harrogate Town play Harrogate Railway in the Yorkshire League Division Three. The two teams have played each other competitively since, but a local derby in the near future seems unlikely as in 2022 Town are a League club and Railway are six levels lower. There was no pyramid in 1972 of course. The Northern Premier League was still in its infancy and the formal distinction between amateur and professional wasn’t removed until a couple of years later. The Yorkshire League Division Three was about as low as it got. Indeed, when Harrogate Railway dropped out, they joined the Harrogate League where they were up against park teams.

The programme announces Railway’s signing of Dave Dunmore but says nothing of his background. Dunmore was a Cumbrian from Whitehaven who started out as a striker at York City in the early 1950s before a big money move to Tottenham Hotspur where he featured in the First Division, later moving to West Ham for a couple of seasons. He then transferred to Leyton Orient in 1961 and helped them to promotion to the First Division before returning to York City in 1965. He made York his home and died there in 2021.

Town won the game 1-0 and later that season gained promotion to the Yorkshire League Division Two. Railway finished off the bottom ahead of Retford Town Reserves and Sheffield Waterworks and, as mentioned, dropped out a year or so later and spent the rest of the 70s in local football. But there were other things happening on the same day. It was the fourth round of the FA Cup but much attention was focussed on a third round tie that was still uncompleted. As we walked home we were listening intently to our transistor radio where news was coming through from Hereford where the game against Newcastle United had gone into extra time. By the time we got home, Hereford United had won and were big news. I couldn’t wait to see Match of the Day that evening.
                                    Last edited by Capybara; 04-02-2022, 11:25.

Comment

Strange to see an advert for a firm based in Middlesex there.

Comment

I have been looking through Ebay UK to find programmes, which will list kick off times for FA Cup and League Cup matches that were shown on TV in full or as highlights. I'm currently looking through 1967 and noticing some interesting shifts in the graphic design of covers, such as this Fulham cover. Down a rabbit hole and found this, which might be of interest to others:
                                        https://www.cultkits.com/blogs/news/...ign-revolution

Comment

Thanks for that.

Interesting project. Pitch just published another 1000 copies.

Comment

An odd, but interesting photobook that collects "face in the crowd" images from old programmes.

https://www.fourcornersbooks.co.uk/b...-in-the-crowd/

More images and a bit more description:

https://www.huckmag.com/article/face...-football-fans
                                            Last edited by danielmak; 20-02-2024, 20:08.

Comment

Working...
                                            X