No announcement yet.

Random pages from old programmes and stories behind them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yellow is usually in the shirt pocket, and red in the arse pocket, or am I living in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
      Yellow is usually in the shirt pocket, and red in the arse pocket, or am I living in the past.
      In the spirit of "Small Claims Court" on 6 Music, my brother used to know Ken Aston, who was credited with inventing red and yellow cards - apparently the idea came to him when sitting at traffic lights. If only he was still alive (Ken Aston, not my brother) we could get the question to him.

Speaking of whom (my brother, not Ken Aston)....

Comment

Completing the Workington Quadrilogy (although there may be more tales in the box), a game I didn't go to but my brother did, as he was living back in Workington at the time and I have never lived there. This is billed as a Lancashire Football League XI, which may give the impression that it is a select XI from the Lancashire Football League, but no, it is an XI from Lancashire based (in old money) clubs from the Football League. The special guest on this occasion was George Best.

Comment

A nod back to that Fort Lauderdale game, with a picture that is now making me doubt my notion that Bobby Charlton was thrilled to be turning out at Borough Park.

Comment

And that Lancashire team in full.

Comment

Actually one last family connection I've just spotted - ,my sister briefly went out with Workington number 9 Mark Dobie (who also played for Carlisle)

Comment

Workington WAG?

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                  Workington WAG?
                  A G rather than W - she M'd a former Sheffield United youth player, as it happens.

Comment

Limerick v Torino in the Cup Winners Cup, 1971. Don't know why but I find the self-importance of the club secretary sticking his signature prominently on the cover quiet endearing. "This might be a glamour tie against a big Italian club but let's not forget who really does all the work around here!"

Last edited by seand; 23-11-2020, 10:44.

Comment

Nottingham Forest attempt to get hold of their ticket allocation for the 1980 European Cup Final.

Comment

From the St Pats v Slovan Bratislava programme in 96-7 UEFA Cup, a flyer for a trip to the away leg

Comment

Six nights for 360 or for an extra 9 you go for only two nights? I'd make an obvious joke there but I quite like Bratislava.

Comment

Not much difference between 2 and 6 nights.

Comment

telex ...

Comment

Trying to entertain yourself for 6 nights in Bratislava, in 1996, was a looooong time

Comment

Liverpool - Ipswich; 1973:

Comment

My first visit to Bootham Crescent in February 1968 for a fourth division fixture. The York City goalkeeper is the same Mike Walker who was a 'top' manager for a period in the 1990s. Barry Jackson at centre half holds the record for the highest number of appearances for the club. The thing I remember from the game was that he was getting stick from a section of the home crowd behind the goal and at one point turned and shouted at them to "Fuck off!" I was there with my father and this was embarrassing, for both of us. Bruce Rioch was at the World Cup finals ten years later.

Comment

From the Football League Review that came with the programme, a player's wife says she won't watch again. Anthea Stubbs later divorced and, as Anthea Redfern, appeared a few years later with Bruce Forsyth hosting The Generation Game. They subsequently married. Are Wills Whiffs still a thing?

Comment

Comment

Team pages from Limerick v Dundalk 1954-55

Comment

Valur v Cork City 2007 Intertoto Cup, and a fabulous picture from Valur's most famous day... a 0-0 draw with Eusebio's Benfica, whose previous European outing had been the 1968 final at Wembley. Benfica won the second leg 8-1

Comment

When football was played on Christmas Day in England. I took on a friend's programme collection when he died four years ago to save it from going into a skip. I've been intending to find a good home for it since but haven't got round to it yet. Anyway, it looks like he saw a thriller 63 years ago.

Comment

I'll take this opportunity to say (again) that zine archives and local museums are always good places to start when wanting to avoid binning your printed football materials. Of course, some places don't have the capacity to take on full collections and others get understandably picky depending on space. An archive isn't a dumping ground. But local angles can be good. Maybe a local library would like to have old programmes or zines related to a local club. Rare materials will be attractive for national archives, libraries, and maybe the national football museum.

My university had historically taken everything I offered up to the zine archive but in the past year they've become more focused on stuff that would be unique for researchers, so they just sent me back all of the Maximum Rockandroll and WSC issues I sent them over the past few years, but they've kept everything else.

Comment

I'm putting this here by way of an enquiry which has come up elsewhere and I guess it's particularly aimed at Greenlander . I was trying to identify the players and in particular number 9. My first reaction was that it is Paul Mariner because it looks like him but this is from the first two weeks of 1973 and Wiki tells us he joined Argyle in 1973 so he would have needed to join very early in 1973 to have been in the photo. Jim Furnell's the 'keeper and Tony Waiters the manager I think.

Comment

That's a nice idea for a New Year photo, using the numbers like that.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X