Random pages from old programmes and stories behind them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Random pages from old programmes and stories behind them

A thread to post random pages from old programmes in our possession. The first includes an ad for Don Rogers Sports. Wiki says he went into the retail business after he retired, but this page comes from 14 December 1968, a game against Brighton, with Don himself acoring a last minute winner And I was there! And the shop is still there!

(photo in next post)
    Last edited by Sporting; 20-09-2020, 04:47.

50 Fleet Street is now occupied by: https://www.businessbiscuit.com/prop...0-fleet-street
    image widget
    Last edited by Sporting; 20-09-2020, 04:05.

Comment

When referees were real men (Swindon vs Barrow 1968-69):

Comment

Advert in Soton programme 1977. You wonder if the company were targeting the right customers.

Comment

Great stuff. Sadly my old programmes have long since disappeared, not always my decision (grrrr ...).

I'd love to read a huge compilation/book of old programmes, featuring an index of the compulsory football puns in the ads. Actually I think it should be somebody's Masters' project. "Marketing in Print to Football fans: a Social History".

You can always "Score" at Blinkthorpe & Sons, where you "Save" every time! (The ads didn't need internal logic, just the words in quotes).

Comment

Leeds - Man Utd 1976. How many fans were attracted by this ad?

Last edited by Sporting; 20-09-2020, 05:06.

Comment

Another page from the same programme:

Comment

Sunderland 1976:

Comment

Fulham 1966:

Comment

Everton 1977:

Comment

There’ll be someone here who saw the Elton John concert, and someone else who will do that crossword.

Personally I’d just like a go on that big Drotts bulldozer/digger thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                        There’ll be someone here who saw the Elton John concert, and someone else who will do that crossword.

Personally I’d just like a go on that big Drotts bulldozer/digger thing.
                        I'm impressed that Sunderland supporters in 1976 were expected to know about Yugoslavs playing club football in France and Germany.

Less impressed that the editor couldn't stick the answers on another page.

Comment

These are great, Sporting.

I've dropped a line to Chief Inspector Mark Rand and look forward to getting out on the beat.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                            These are great, Sporting.

I've dropped a line to Chief Inspector Mark Rand and look forward to getting out on the beat.
                            Thanks. I've loads more but don't want to crowd the thread. Other contributions most welcome.

The police ad is interesting. A whole house! Or tax free allowances: for what? Are these still part of the perks nowadays?

I'm still wondering why an iron works thought it worthwhile to take out a whole page ad in Leeds, though (maybe elsewhere too). Bit different to some of the other smaller scale stuff above and in other programmes.

Comment

The Plant Hire ad makes more sense than most. I could imagine plenty of ground workers attending games every Saturday.

I love how the GPO engineer jointing cables in a dirty underground pit is still wearing a nice blazer, although it could be a lab coat (looks too short to me).

Local steel stockholders used to be a regular presence in old Wednesday programmes, and I should imagine it was the same with United's. It wasn't unusual to see such companies having a presence in areas which used to have a fair amount of industry.
                              Last edited by George; 20-09-2020, 10:39.

Comment

I wonder what George out of George and Mildred did with his five pounds.

Comment

Originally posted by George View Post

Local steel stockholders used to be a regular presence in old Wednesday programmes, and I should imagine it was the same with United's. It wasn't unusual to see such companies having a presence in areas which used to have a fair amount of industry.
                                  Wednesday programmes of the 1960s used to contain massive ads for the National Coal Board, advertising it as "a job for life" and with the strapline "BE A MAN - BE A MINER"

Comment

Leicester City 1973:

Comment

An almost sinister Valentines poetry competition from a Manchester Derby programme in 1993, does a now 36 year old Lynsey still hold a candle for Mike Sheron?

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                        Everton 1977:
                                        Elton John, yes. The Four Seasons, yes. Johnny Mathis, Neil Sedaka, yes yes. But who the fuck is Jack Jones?

(Apart from Clive Dunn's character in Dad's Army... and I assume he wasn't doing gigs, despite his Number One success with 'Grandad'.)

Comment

Comment

Many years ago I inherited a number of UK/Ireland football programs from the late 60s to the late 70s. Most were either internationals or European tournament matches. I thought I'd give you a sample of used car prices in 1976.

Various Artist -- I remember Jack Jones was often on tv variety shows and my parents did not like him.
                                            Last edited by Cal Alamein; 20-09-2020, 23:42.

Comment

Yep, I remember him too, or at least his name.

Comment

Clubs often used to provide directions for the following week's away game and Swindon in 1968 were no exception. I wonder if you followed those instructions today you'd still get to Gillingham.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                                                  Elton John, yes. The Four Seasons, yes. Johnny Mathis, Neil Sedaka, yes yes. But who the fuck is Jack Jones?

(Apart from Clive Dunn's character in Dad's Army... and I assume he wasn't doing gigs, despite his Number One success with 'Grandad'.)
                                                  We could crowbar him into "pop stars immortalised in rhyming slang" but it's not that Jack Jones.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X