Random pages from old programmes and stories behind them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
    That's a nice idea for a New Year photo, using the numbers like that.
    You could do it with two players these days.

Comment

If that's not Mariner, it's his twin brother.

Comment

Wiki insists Mariner didn't play for Plymouth until 73-4. Jim Hinch played number 9 for Plymouth around this time. He's in the middle of the back row. I reckon it's him.

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post
          I'm putting this here by way of an enquiry which has come up elsewhere and I guess it's particularly aimed at Greenlander . I was trying to identify the players and in particular number 9. My first reaction was that it is Paul Mariner because it looks like him but this is from the first two weeks of 1973 and Wiki tells us he joined Argyle in 1973 so he would have needed to join very early in 1973 to have been in the photo. Jim Furnell's the 'keeper and Tony Waiters the manager I think.

Before my time but I'll attempt it.

Good going with Furnell in goals and Tony Waiters in the managerial tracksuit, but it's not Paul Mariner. He did join us in 1973 but not until September. It's Jimmy Hinch in the nine shirt who while prolific enough was blown out the club by Mariner who was another level. Left us for Hereford.

Going by the numbers they wore for us that season the others are Ernie Machin at 7 and Colin Sullivan the 3.

Comment

Many of the old heads will tell you that while Mariner may have been the greatest player to wear the green shirt Jimmy Hinch remains a cult favourite. Apparently he played football like a baby calf but certainly knew how to score a goal. Mariner just knew how to do it better.

Comment

Ta. The story behind the programme is that Plymouth won the cup-tie 1-0 and Boro's manager Stan Anderson resigned after 7 years in charge. He later said that it was his intention to resign whatever the result but given that he had only a few weeks earlier brought in Graeme Souness I'm not sure about that.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenlander View Post

Going by the numbers they wore for us that season the others are Ernie Machin at 7 and Colin Sullivan the 3.
                I've done a bit of digging and it seems I may have got these two wrong.

The 7 is Keith Allen who hadn't been in the team since August due to injury and would eventually retire having never played again while the 3 is Dave Provan of Rangers fame.

Comment

Working...
                X