No announcement yet.

Random pages from old programmes and stories behind them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That cleaner is going to have a nasty accident if he doesn't watch what doing. Admittedly he's doing well to be able to stand at all given the size of his head. I do wonder what the British Institute of Cleaning Science would have to say about his rather old school appearing equipment. They'd probably also query his wearing of fishnets and high heels.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
      Well for a start there is (or was) offset and litho. I say "for a start" but I've reached the edge of my knowledge quite quickly there.
      Offset lithography was the most common form of commercial printing for over half a century. Traditional lithography was/is only used for high quality short runs (100-300 copies) mainly art prints.

"General printing," most likely refers to bread & butter small press work. One to two colours, small format work, (eg: business cards, flyers, football programmes etc.) In other words, not multi-page publications, long print runs, nor full colour. A lot of these shops would soon become "instant printers" as paper plates and then the first toner based presses were introduced.

Comment

The only reason I know offset (and that it is different from traditional litho) is that there was a major print works up our end of town which back in the day churned out a lot of popular magazines. As a kid, occasionally you'd know someone who knew someone who worked there (and my dad ended up working there for a while) so you'd get the excitement of advance copies of Look-in.

Comment

I was a jobbing printer for a number of years.

Comment

As mentioned around the start of lockdown, in 1978 Fort Lauderdale Strikers chose to tour over here, as slogging round a load of lower league muddy pitches in February was the ideal preparation for playing an NASL season based in Florida. Through a former player Workington was included in the itinerary, the local club having lost out on re-election the previous summer and in need of cheering up. As if the prospect of seeing Gordon Banks wasn't exciting enough, Workington brought in a ringer by the name of Charlton, R. Over 6,000 turned out in horrendous weather, including a very young yours truly.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

I googled Tognarelli. I found this:

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/inde...topic=340578.0

A post from that thread (with spelling and other mistakes preserved):

"My last name is Tognarelli. I live in Workington. Even though I am quite young I have done some research with my aunt. The Tognarelli's are from Barga in Tuscany and some of the family moved to Britain towards the end of the 1800s. My side of the family owned some cafe s in finckle street as well as Station Road and we owned cafe s in other areas. The other side of my family owned other cafe s of witch one cafe still exists called Tognarelli's cafe. H and R stands for Harry and Renzo two brothers who lived in Workington and owned a ice cream factory opposite where the courts now are in Workington. My family went from Barga to Glasgow in a time when the harvest was bad and from Glasgow they moved to Whitehaven then finally to Workington. Other members moved down south and had a bus company my grandad called the Toggie who owned it the boss. Be careful looking at the census for 1911 as they have missed spelt Tognarelli for one person caus they could not read his handwriting."

There are some great photos and memories in the thread in general.

As far as Italian-run ice cream parlours in the UK are concerned, I always thought that South Wales was the epicentre.

Comment

McCollough's still going!

https://www.facebook.com/McCulloughs-124343114313919/

Comment

Or maybe not:

https://www.tiendeo.co.uk/Shops/work...e-street/93879

Comment

Tognarelli's is an institution in Workington and as far as I know is still going. Glasgow was also a major centre for the Italian ice cream and cafe trade as well - see here and here for example - and from the above the family spread out from Glasgow.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                            Although that says Bose, it looks like the shop is actually Peter Tyson which is a Carlisle-based electrical retailer (which would be a Bose retailer), so looks like Peter Tyson took them over at some point.

Comment

Part Two of a Workington odyssey, almost a year to the day later. Bobby Charlton obviously couldn't get enough of playing at Borough Park in the baltic cold, because he's back again. The occasion is a bit of a tale. The match is between Hall Park Rangers (of Workington) and the Dart Inn (of Rutherglen) and was a return fixture of a friendly between the two teams (though it is not clear why the original friendly happened). Things seem to have escalated when it was decided to make the match a fundraiser for the John Burke Fund. Burke was a rugby league player who played across the road for Workington Town having, the programme explains, been signed from Wigan for the sum of ?11,000 (which was big money at the time for Town). Tragically Burke suffered spinal injuries in a match and a fund was launched for him and his family.

Therefore Charlton came back to lend a hand, and although they don't appear on the team page Billy Bremner and Bobby Moncur (who was then manager of Carlisle) played for Dart Inn, who were managed for the day by Kenny Dalglish. Dalglish was the big draw for most of the crowd, who by now were a bit blase about the sight of Charlton. If I remember rightly (I was there, but still a little 'un) he made a cameo appearance in the second half. And why he was involved at all is revealed in the third photo.

Comment

Dennis Wise didn't like to talk about his charitable donations, nor his pre-football career in joinery.

Comment

Comment

Dennis Wise didn't like to talk about his charitable donations, nor his pre-football career in joinery.

What's a dart inn?

Comment

Were’nt Hall Park Rangers a decent FA Sunday Cup side in years gone by?

Comment

If they were I don't think it was this one - in the biog in the programme it describes they had formed in 1962 and taken that name in 1966, giving their only honour as being runners up in the Workington Sunday League Cup in 1970. At the time of this match they were in the second division of the Workington Sunday League which with all due respect etc etc. They might have gone on to better things after 1979 but if they did I can't recall them.

Comment

Ta WFD. I thought their name was ringing a bell but having checked through previous finalists I can see that they‘ve not been up to that standard.

Comment

Are you thinking of Hall Road Rangers? - from Hull, play in the Northern Counties League.

Comment

Yes Zeb. That’s them.

Comment

An all-Cumbrian affair tonight (right down to the match officials, at least in terms of residence), and (apart from the subsequent replay) the last fully competitive meeting of once local rivals Carlisle and Workington. This was the start of the fault-line in the loyalties of the male side of our family, which opened up spectacularly 18 months or so later when Workington Town beat Carlisle RL in a late season midweek game to end Carlisle's Division Two title hopes (although both sides went up anyway) and my dad and brother (both from Workington) took the piss all the way back to Carlisle and made me (from Carlisle) cry.

Where was I? Oh yeah, the FA Cup showdown at Borough Park. I don't think there was much in the way of segregation and I remember a Carlisle fan shouting something about Workington being non league and remember a female Reds fan turning round to shout at him "we're not non league, we play in the Northern Premier League". She seemed a bit touchy about the whole thing - maybe her mam and sister were from Carlisle and had been winding her up. At one point fighting broke out near us, and later my dad said that anyone fighting at a match should be locked up, and then without irony said he would have got stuck in and shown then what fighting was, if he wasn't an old man. At that point he was younger than I now am, by several years.

Carlisle won the replay 4-1, Peter Beardsley playing a stormer (think he scored twice). My dad was quiet on the way home that night.

Comment

Not particularly random and not from an old programme but other than that perfectly cromulent..

I was recently sent this clipping having enquired of someone at Worksop Town whether they had any information about a friendly with Newcastle United I'd been to, about which there's nothing online. What was news to me was the bit about red and yellow cards returning that season. I've since read that having been introduced in '76 they were withdrawn in '81 with it being felt that the extravagant gestures of certain referees when wielding cards was acting like a red rag to the raging bulls who dominated the terraces of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Artificial Hipster View Post
                                                    What was news to me was the bit about red and yellow cards returning that season. I've since read that having been introduced in '76 they were withdrawn in '81 with it being felt that the extravagant gestures of certain referees when wielding cards was acting like a red rag to the raging bulls who dominated the terraces of the time.
                                                    I'd never connected the cards being a different shape with "colour blind footballers", I always heard it that the reason was so the referee knew which one he was pulling out of his pocket, in case he pulled the wrong one out by mistake. But now I'm even wondering if that was right, given that refs now have folding wallet things for their notebooks with little compartments for their cards, and surely they haven't been invented only recently?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X