Random pages from old programmes and stories behind them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Forest Gump View Post
    This illustration accompanied the Leyton Pennant (now Walthamstow) programme during the 1997-8 season. We've still got a few people around who were supporting us in the 90s, but no one has any idea who did the little doodle. I've always found it quite charming in an odd way, so have used it again in this season's Stow programme. While I'm on the subject, here's a link to download our most recent prog if anyone fancies a look. I'm already on our 8th programme of the season - I could do with another few months off.
    Fantastic programme!

If you want an old Leyton programme to feature in a future issue then take a look at this one from the one season when Leyton played their home games at Upton Park - Leyton v Tufnell Park in the Herts and Middlesex Combination, 10th April 1943

I've no idea why Leyton played at West Ham's ground that season but would love to know the story behind that happening

Comment

Interesting to see the players numbered 1-22 there.

Not a huge fan of scrawling the score on the programme like that, although I used to do it myself, it helps if the printers give you some room.

Comment

Originally posted by colchestersid View Post

I've no idea why Leyton played at West Ham's ground that season but would love to know the story behind that happening

Me neither, and it doesn't get in a mention in the extensive club history written by our club historian. I'll ask him if he knows any more on Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by Forest Gump View Post

Me neither, and it doesn't get in a mention in the extensive club history written by our club historian. I'll ask him if he knows any more on Saturday.
          Here's a mention of the arrangements from the West Ham v Tottenham programme, 19th September 1942

Comment

More data for football language historians there. 'Spurs gets an apostrophe, "Un." not "Utd".

Somebody hurry up and publish that guaranteed best-seller on the evolution of club abbreviations. Was "M'chester" ever a thing? Was it "W. Brom. A" in the league table? We (I) need to know.

Comment

The teleprinter will need a chapter of its own.

Comment

Your club can have a whole chapter.

e.g. 1965 half-time scores, Exeter City programme:

http://grecianarchive.exeter.ac.uk/i...1585#gallery-7

Comment

https://www.theguardian.com/football...tors-amid-boom

Comment

Does anyone remember Ian Gilzean? Spurs 1988:

Comment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Gilzean

Comment

I remember him well, big lump of a centre forward. He had a decent career in the league of Ireland with Sligo Rovers and St Patrick's Athletic.

Comment

Just catching up, but I adore the Partizan programme writer's description of Manchester United as "compact and militant".

Comment

Great innovative page from a Palace home programme in the 1940s....

Comment

Originally posted by beak View Post
                              Just catching up, but I adore the Partizan programme writer's description of Manchester United as "compact and militant".
                              Thanks for noticing that.

Comment

Originally posted by seand View Post
                                Great innovative page from a Palace home programme in the 1940s....

Brilliant!

Comment

Chertsey Town v West Ham "A" team, Metropolitan League, March 1966

Gay Dogs - fresh meat daily no less. The mind boggles

Comment

In the Builders and Decorators ad what do F.I.O.B and L.I.O.B stand for?

Comment

Also, what are "general printers"? Are there more specific kinds?

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                        In the Builders and Decorators ad what do F.I.O.B and L.I.O.B stand for?
                                        There must be an "institute of builders" or some such, and FIOB will be "fellow of" I'd guess. LIOB I'm not sure about. Layperson of? Leader of?

Comment

Not football but rugby: Pontypridd - Swansea, 1993:

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                                  Also, what are "general printers"? Are there more specific kinds?
                                                  Well for a start there is (or was) offset and litho. I say "for a start" but I've reached the edge of my knowledge quite quickly there.

​​​​​​Also on that Chertsey programme there is the gem at the foot of the page "Advertising Rights acquired by Allsports Publicity Company Ltd, 17, Nottingham Street, London W.1" - which conjures up the notion that rivals were competing to acquire the advertising rights for programmes in the Metropolitan League, and that the whole racket was so lucrative that the successful participants were operating out of West End offices. The arse must have fallen out of the market at some point, as No.17 is now occupied by an estate agent, apparently.

Comment

And meanwhile in Penygraig, "Insurance Work A Pleasure" seems to be hinting at how lucrative that work is too...

Comment

Working...
                                                    X