Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TWO MILLION QUID? In the Conference? During a recession?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought that at the late and very lamented Sportspages.

Comment

I think Wrexham are in safe hands. I believe McElhenney's lawyer is an expert in the field of bird law.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
        I've got a(n admittedly pretty unlikely) theory that Reynolds or McElhenney may have alighted on Wrexham due to reading this Pete Davies book for the US market in the nineties ;

Twenty-Two Foreigners in Funny Shorts:: The Intelligent Fan's Guide to Soccer and World Cup '94
        That is how I heard of them, and I've followed them vaguely ever since, largely through here since they went into the Conference.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
          I've got a(n admittedly pretty unlikely) theory that Reynolds or McElhenney may have alighted on Wrexham due to reading this Pete Davies book for the US market in the nineties ;

Twenty-Two Foreigners in Funny Shorts:: The Intelligent Fan's Guide to Soccer and World Cup '94
          My equally far-fetched rationale is that maybe one of them has worked with Adrian Holmes, whose credits list on IMDb is as long as your arm and may have had a word about his hometown club.

Comment

Been told that they tried to buy Pools about a month ago. Idea is to buy a failing but traditionally football league "blue collar" club and make a documentary series as they rise again. Kept their identities secret while trying to buy Pools and used Chris Turner and Russ Green (former Pools CEO) to represent them. This was to hide the fact that Fenway Group are/were their advisers. You have to wonder if the plan was to call the documentary Dead Pools and what will happen to whoever they buy once the story has no legs left but I would have happily had them in charge rather than a Covid battered granny farmer. Not sure I'd be as keen if we were fan owned.

Comment

Originally posted by born toulouse View Post
              Been told that they tried to buy Pools about a month ago. Idea is to buy a failing but traditionally football league "blue collar" club and make a documentary series as they rise again. Kept their identities secret while trying to buy Pools and used Chris Turner and Russ Green (former Pools CEO) to represent them. This was to hide the fact that Fenway Group are/were their advisers. You have to wonder if the plan was to call the documentary Dead Pools and what will happen to whoever they buy once the story has no legs left but I would have happily had them in charge rather than a Covid battered granny farmer. Not sure I'd be as keen if we were fan owned.
              I'm still so weirded out by this I honestly can't tell if this is a wind up or not, could you please clarify?

Comment

There was a widely circulated rumour about a month or so ago that some mystery investors were trying to buy Pools. The "high net worth" investors were represented by Russ Green and Chris Turner and, at the time, the fact they wanted to stay anonymous was given as a reason for Raj Singh rejecting their offer. This was later changed to the offer being derisory. Later there was a 'leak' through the local press saying that the investors had moved their attention to Wrexham. Yesterday, Jeff Stelling's son admitted in a Tweet that Jeff knew who it was while the deal was still a possibility but kept it quiet out of loyalty to Raj Singh.

The stuff about the TV programme plans comes form a source with good connections to Green and Turner, I've got no absolute proof of this but no reason to disbelieve him either. Also makes more sense than a completely pure 'doing a lovely thing' gesture.

Comment

Sorry, should have also said that the two million investment is exactly what was on offer at Pools. Presumably our chairman's intransigence in trying to get as much of the money he has 'given' the club back scuppered the deal - if he wanted a million then there wouldn't be much left to invest.

Given I've never trusted our bloke, he was a key player in Darlington's final demise, I'd have preferred becoming a Hollywood plaything but you're fan owned and I'm not sure I'd risk that for a future that depends on Netflix not cancelling the next series.

Comment

Originally posted by born toulouse View Post
                    I'm not sure I'd risk that for a future that depends on Netflix not cancelling the next series.
                    As a fan of MST3K and what Netflix did with the revival, I know that pain! Couple that with our previous ownership sagas and you've just scared the shit out of me.

Of course I had a feeling that their interest would not have been for purely altruistic reasons but I would have hoped that the WST would have had more noble intentions than to potentially turn us into a binge watch plaything.

Bets on Squires mentioning this in his next strip?

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post

As a fan of MST3K and what Netflix did with the revival, I know that pain! Couple that with our previous ownership sagas and you've just scared the shit out of me.

Of course I had a feeling that their interest would not have been for purely altruistic reasons but I would have hoped that the WST would have had more noble intentions than to potentially turn us into a binge watch plaything.

Bets on Squires mentioning this in his next strip?
                      I wouldn't bet against that! Perfect timing for him, plenty of time to work up a punchline before Tuesday.

Comment

Oh God, a Netflix series on Wrexham would even more exposure for that bloody 'Bootlegger' wouldn't it.

Comment

Has the “fly on the wall” documentary thing not been done to death over the past couple of years? We’ve had two seasons of slow motion car crashes at Sunderland with two different owners behind the respective wheels alongside that salmon trousered Partridge impersonator on Netflix and we’ve had Leeds, City and Spurs things on Amazon. I’m sure I’m probably missing a couple of others as well but it feels like that has been done now and I’m not sure how much appetite there is for another and especially one at Wrexham, who are considerably smaller in these times than all four of those clubs.

And even if we must have one, are they not just going to try and make it more “attractive” to the viewer by getting in some fairly well known but inexperienced (as a manager) ex-footballer in as manager and/or throw money at well-known(ish) players who are either old and wanting a payday or players from slightly higher up the leagues on daft money?

Seeing your football club being brought to its knees by a megalomaniac who is using it as their latest play thing is tough to watch. It is largely what turned me away from Orient in the end, two seasons of that was enough for me, I couldn’t take much more of it. What was “my club” no longer felt like my club and it was inevitable what was going to happen when the interest died down, though plenty are just happy to bury their heads in the sand while the club bundles along becoming more and more unsustainable and broken by the week.
                          Last edited by Jumbo McGinnis; 24-09-2020, 10:43.

Comment

Originally posted by Uros Predic View Post
                            Oh God, a Netflix series on Wrexham would even more exposure for that bloody 'Bootlegger' wouldn't it.
                            Him having his own beer is bad enough.

I fucking hate him and his videos... making us all look like inbred pissheads speaking in tongues i.e. exactly the kind of people I can imagine posting their wet dream fantasies about this potential takeover on Red Passion. We're not all like that - honest!

Comment

I wonder how much the local rag received for this puff piece:

https://www.leaderlive.co.uk/news/18...am-afc/?ref=ar

Comment

Knowing their standards, a fiver and a Curly Wurly would have been enough.

Comment

Originally posted by My Name Is Ian View Post
                                  I wonder how much the local rag received for this puff piece:

https://www.leaderlive.co.uk/news/18...am-afc/?ref=ar
                                  I would be amazed if they didn't write this entirely off their own bat

Comment

Anyone know the story behind this?

https://twitter.com/FCUtdofWxm/status/1322615733109608453?s=19

Comment

No idea what it's about, but the red dragon definitely looks like a Pez dispenser.

Comment

An 8 bit rendering of a Pez dispenser

Comment

Reading the rest of their tweets, not sure how serious this whole FCUW proposal is. Looks like someone who was involved with the Brickfield futsal team is being a total chancer... and I have a soft spot for Brickfield (my brother played for them for the best part of a decade)!

Comment

So has this awful nonsense giveaway happened?

Comment

It's all gone a bit quiet... not really surprising given current circumstances. I'd twig that we'll have to wait for another SGM (which could be a VERY long time) to hear anything more.

Comment

Fingers crossed they lose interest.

Comment

I have it on good authority that the Reynolds takeover was being discussed at the Supporters Society meeting of another non-league in a, I think, "look what could happen" manner. My only issue with supporter/community-owned clubs is that, while the theory is fantastic, in reality, football supporters and the wider community can be trusted to make remarkably stupid decisions.

Comment

https://twitter.com/walesawayfans/status/1325532692553854978?s=19

My Dad, both Grandads, my Great Uncle who played for them and all my dead ancestors who ever stood on the Kop would approve of this manifesto.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X