La Liga 2020-21: A Messi Business

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
    It would be ch in Scotland, where weirdly Gallagher gains a "k" sound.
    That's an ulster thing. it's also closer to the irish language version in both cases. There's a hard ch in both O'Docheartaigh and O Geallachoir

The Dough thing is just people pronouncing their name wrong. Next time you meet one of these people Ursus, give me a ring and I'll set them right.

Speaking of which, I discovered that Albert Thayer Mahan, the great Naval historian/theorist wasn't of german or french origin but actually Irish. The variety of different ways his name gets pronounced, would leave you with no clue. HIs parernal grandparents came over from ireland in 1802 and his father is one of those 19th century military people where it's unclear whether they were born in Ireland or the US. There were huge advantages to being born in the US, particularly if you wanted to be in the army. (Fucking Genocidal monster Phillip "the only good indian is a dead one" Sheridan being the prime example) Given that he was baptised within two days of arrival in america, it would seem as though he was born on the boat.

Given that his mam was called Cleary, and albert's dad was called Dennis, would strongly suggest that it's just a version of McMahon, and they came from north clare/east galway, because Irish names were extremely geographically specific in 1800. It's the same name as the golfer Hunter Mahan, and the way he pronounces that would almost make you think he was persian.
    Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 15-09-2020, 15:30.

Comment

So McMahon is Clare/Galway in origin? My grandad on my mums side was McMahon, though massively incurious about his origins.

We kind of assumed his grandad probably took the soup on coming to Scotland- being a shopkeeper in an almost completely prod town/region (prior to the late 19th century Fife coal boom) It would prob have been prudent to tone down on the smells and bells if you wanted customers.

Also thought his family might have been Monaghan based for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
        So McMahon is Clare/Galway in origin? My grandad on my mums side was McMahon, though massively incurious about his origins.

We kind of assumed his grandad probably took the soup on coming to Scotland- being a shopkeeper in an almost completely prod town/region (prior to the late 19th century Fife coal boom) It would prob have been prudent to tone down on the smells and bells if you wanted customers.

Also thought his family might have been Monaghan based for some reason.
        There are also unrelated McMahons who were chieftains in Monaghan, which might pertain more to Scotland:

https://www.johngrenham.com/surnames...arch_type=full

Comment

Lot of protestants in monaghan, or at least there used to be. There's normally a protestant fine gael td from that constituency. Heather humphries is the latest. I'm fairly sure Seymour Crawford was the one before her

Comment

At some point the name may have jumped then, even afore Scotland. Like the way the Scottish Borders turned Planter surname Kerr became mostly cafflick in the North.
            Last edited by Lang Spoon; 15-09-2020, 19:04.

Comment

Great thread shift going on here!

Comment

There's a Mancunian chap who goes in my local (when there's not a global pandemic on, that is) called Doherty, and whose family are such recent arrivals to England that his older brother was born in Ireland, so I found out the proper pronunciation from him a few years ago. I'm surprised Mr Brewin was that taken aback by it, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                  There's a Mancunian chap who goes in my local (when there's not a global pandemic on, that is) called Doherty, and whose family are such recent arrivals to England that his older brother was born in Ireland, so I found out the proper pronunciation from him a few years ago. I'm surprised Mr Brewin was that taken aback by it, though.
                  I don't think he was taken aback by it Sam, I think he just couldn't say it. Kind of the way that my mam can't say Szechuan, even though all the sounds are in irish. She's not mortified by it though, she finds her inability to say it inexplicable and hilarious.

Comment

Granada start the season just as well as last. They have won two in two. Betis are also on maximum points.

The clubs that were in Europe (and Elche, who came up via the play-offs) have yet to play, apart from Real Madrid who are currently 0-0 at half time away at Real Sociedad. Good first half from Madrid who look switched on. Surprisingly (or maybe not, considering he played for Real Sociedad last season) Odegaard starts, just behind Benzema and Casemiro is left out; a rarity under Zidane.

Comment

Coutinho had a good game for Barcelona in the pre-season Joan Gamper Trophy match. No sign of any defenders bought. Piquet and Busquets still in the first team.

https://www.football-espana.net/2020...win-over-elche

Comment

Barcelona's only 3 pre-season friendlies - Elche, Gimnastic de Tarragona and Girona. Brilliant!

Equally, Madrid today looked all the better for not having to go on any grueling pre-season tours of the Far East or the US. A good point away at Real Sociedad. Both Marvin Park and Sergio Arribas came off the bench to make debuts today. Arribas is from Leganes and Park is from Palma de Mallorca, with a Nigerian father and a South Korean mother. Presumably he could choose to play for either of these countries but he has actually already represented Spain once - for the under 19s. He has been with Madrid since he was about 16. However, going further back he had a season at a club in Caracas, Venezuela and a further three in Tranmere Rovers' youth set up.

Comment

is this true? It seems like a pretty major detail to be only finding out about now.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...um-22709427?1=

Comment

Somewhat suspicious that the Mirror got it before any reliable Spanish or Catalan sources, though it is on eltabloidingles.com.

Comment

Spanish clubs are going to be selling more than buying for a while, presumably making it impossible to catch Bayern and Liverpool for at least a couple of seasons, and possibly dropping below even their 2019-20 finishes in the CL.

But then how long are Liverpool going to be a spending club with no gates and with TV money falling?
                              Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 21-09-2020, 01:23.

Comment

Some of the more excitable elements.of Barca Twitter are bitching about how successful Madrid have been in doing just that.

Comment

Luis Suarez to Atleti is just perfect.

Comment

Shitbag central between him and Simeone indeed.

Comment

It seems to be mostly because suarez was caught cheating on his Italian language exam for his Italian passport

Comment

Comment

The Italian reporting on this is focusing on the "star struck" people administering the test, who appear to have given him all of the answers (and advance notice of the result) without him even asking.

Comment

So you're saying that he's the victim of minor actors doing what they believed to be the will of the great and the good? So he's basically the footballing Thomas Beckett, or anna politovskaya? Except in this case the people were doing what they thought that Gianni himself would have them do?

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                                              is this true? It seems like a pretty major detail to be only finding out about now.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...um-22709427?1=
                                              I think La Liga imposed salary reductions at the beginning of the pandemic and, yes, this does seem to be affecting the spending of Spanish clubs with most clubs in the selling rather than buying market. Good for la seleccion I would guess as more young Spaniards will be getting their chance in the first team.

Comment

Something has to be going on because Real Madrid haven't bought anyone. I don't know how great it's going to be for the spanish national team, as Spain doesn't seem to have too much of a problem getting young spanish players into their top division. It might accelerate the development of players at bigger clubs, but Real Madrid seem to be a club that relies on selling a certain quota of young players to fund their purchases.

Comment

From the above Mirror link:

[Clubs] must also pay the same amount as the transfer fee to the Spanish government following financial help given to clubs during the health crisis.

La Liga has given every club in the top division a limit of how much they can spend on transfers and staff dependent on their financial results in the past five years.

Joris Evers, La Liga's director of communications, says: “We have a financial system, which goes beyond UEFA’s Financial Fair Play.

"At UEFA they look at figures when a season is finished, we set the standards before the season starts.

“If Barcelona try to do a deal behind the scenes, our analysts will notice this immediately.

“The clubs agreed on this system as a reaction on a period when they were struggling to pay the wages of the players, because they'd overspent time and time again. Nobody wants to go back to that situation.’’
                                                  Massive austerity measures, enforced by the government and agreed by the clubs when they were dependent on a bailout. It may be an opportunity for Atletico to win the title and/or go farthest in the CL.

On the surface that looks good for Liverpool and Man City (the removal of Barcelona and Real as threats) but you could see them being next in line for this kind of shock therapy.
                                                  Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 23-09-2020, 00:28.

Comment

Yes, not good for Spanish teams in the Champions League maybe but La Liga should hopefully be a much more interesting watch than usual. Granada in particular were one of my favourites to watch last year and they've started well again this year, winning both games in the league as well as getting through a qualifying round of the Europa League last week. They have another game in Europe tomorrow, against Locomotive Tbilisi and then a huge one at the weekend - Atleti away.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X