Northern League

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Northern League

Having got into my fifties all this has got a bit demanding what with the aorta exploding, the two strokes and now potential diabetes.

Watching Hearts isn't really enjoyable (though might be next year in the Champioship). I'll mostly be watching The Burgh when I'm home and Sunderland who I had a schoolboy fling with given the story that's about to follow.

We've just got ourselves a caravan near Consett , they're playing in the Vase semi tomorrow. Should I just commit to them and go to Wemberlee maybe? Up until now I've mostly liked Bedlington down that way and the North Shields guys were good.

I'm too old just to decide.

Who's it to be?

Harry Pearson was singing the praises of Tow Law on the podcast recently, although he did say how cold it was. They're away today but at home Tuesday night I think?

Comment

Newton Aycliffe, a town that's younger than the league.

Comment

Consett moved to a new ground a few years ago that is very uninspiring - basically a 3G pitch with just enough seating to meet the ground grading requirements.

Crook have a nice old fashioned ground. Some of the cover at Esh Wiining is made up of trolley shelters acquired from a supermarket.

Comment

Use it as a base for picking up a few of the Northern grounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
            Newton Aycliffe, a town that's younger than the league.
            That will apply to a lot of teams surely given the New Towns Act 1946.

Comment

Billingham Synthonia, a name I first encountered in The Far Corner.

Comment

Isn't everyone's favourite Northern League team West Auckland, who beat Juventus before WW1 with Dennis Waterman up front?

Comment

When the NL was outside thd pyramid, several clubs left for the NPL but later went back, partly I think because the supporters missed the local games and partly because they were financially overstretched in the NPL. Bishop Auckland are the best example of that, I think, and shared their ground with the phoenix Darlington 1883 for a few seasons.

Comment

We may have covered before how Washington FC's crest looks distinctly, and deliberately, USAesque.

I think it's a relatively recent design and have to wonder if it was done for some kind of marketing reason.

Comment

This household has been to Thornaby FC twice this week and seen two home wins, so there's your answer.

Comment

Originally posted by RobM View Post
                        Having got into my fifties all this has got a bit demanding what with the aorta exploding, the two strokes and now potential diabetes.

Watching Hearts isn't really enjoyable (though might be next year in the Champioship). I'll mostly be watching The Burgh when I'm home and Sunderland who I had a schoolboy fling with given the story that's about to follow.

We've just got ourselves a caravan near Consett , they're playing in the Vase semi tomorrow. Should I just commit to them and go to Wemberlee maybe? Up until now I've mostly liked Bedlington down that way and the North Shields guys were good.

I'm too old just to decide.

Who's it to be?

[Trivia] Consett once kind of adopted the mighty Heffron Hawks FC as their Australian 'sister' club many moons ago... We had links to each other on our websites back in the days when clubs had a 'Links' page [/Trivia]

I note they don't mention the mighty Hawks now...

Comment

During my 7 year stay in the NE I watched North Shields more than anyone else, back in the days of Appleby Park, sadly a housing estate these days. Any number of excellent boozers on hand as well. As you say the North Shields fans were very good fun.

Comment

Tow Law and Whickham so far, both hugely enjoyable.

Tow Law was great but sadly Harry Pearsonless. Likely to call a halt to it for now given Covid rates, might even be the case the NL gets suspended.

Comment

Working...
                            X