Nations Notions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
    Wales crash a Habsburg reunion in League B, with Austria, Hungary and Czechia all in the semis. Belgium and Italy join France and Spain in the League A final four, while Armenia get some national consolation by edging North Macedonia out of the League C semis, joining a Balkan party of Slovenia, Albania and Montenegro.
    Semis for what?

Comment

I don't think they have semis below Tier A. Wales are almost certainly guaranteed a WCQ playoff if they don't make the top two in the main qualifiers, assuming at least 3 of the Tier A winners finish Top 2 in the groups.

Comment

Yeah, that was my point - there are no semis for our tier.
        Last edited by Ray de Galles; 18-11-2020, 21:55.

Comment

Scotland's home draw with Israel in their opener ultimately cost them the group win.

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
            Armenia get some national consolation by edging North Macedonia out of the League C semis
            ...thus thwarting back-to-back promotions for North Macedonia. Did another country manage to go up twice in a row?

Comment

Wales will be in the top tier next time won't they?

Comment

Yes. In Tier A, Wales, Czechia, Austria and Hungary replace Bosnia, Sweden, Iceland and Ukraine (assuming they forfeit their game in Switzerland 3-0.) Wales also won't have to play RoI in the next one due to going up.

Hungary went up twice in a row. They were promoted as Tier C runners up in 2018 and Group B winners in 2022.

Comment

Yes, the whole point of finishing top of the group is promotion and, in Tier B, the potential to have a WC 2022 play-off place as a fallback if we fail in the qualifying group.

Comment

Originally posted by Belhaven View Post
                    Anyway, here is Norway's emergency squad for the game against Austria on Wednesday.

Anders Kristiansen, Union Saint-Giloise, Belgium, 0 caps for Norway
                    Per-Kristian Bratveit, Djurg?rden, Sweden 0 caps
                    Andreas Vindheim, Sparta Prague, Czech Rep, 0 caps
                    Jorgen Skjelvik Odense, Denmark, 7 caps
                    Julian Ryerson, Union Berlin, Germany, 0 caps
                    Daniel Granli, Aalborg, Denmark, 0 caps
                    Ruben Gabrielsen, Toulouse, France, 0 caps
                    Andreas Hanche-Olsen, Gent, Belgium, 0 caps
                    Tobias Borkeeiet, Brondby, Denmark, 0 caps
                    Sondre Tronstad, Vitesse, Holland, 0 caps
                    Fredrik Ulvestad, Djurgarden, Sweden, 7 caps
                    Hakon Evjen, AZ'67, Holland' 0 caps
                    Ghayas Zahid, APOEL, Cyprus, 1 cap
                    Kristoffer Askildsen, Sampdoria, Italy, 0 caps
                    Kristian Thorstvedt, Genk, Belgium, 0 caps
                    Mats Moller Daehli, Genk, Belgium, 23 caps
                    Jorgen Strand Larsen, Groningen, Holland, 0 caps
                    Veton Berisha, Viking, Norway, 4 caps

I'm surprised we have that many uncapped players based in Italy, Germany or the Netherlands.
                    It took a 94th minute Austrian equaliser to deny them an away win too!

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                      Yes, the whole point of finishing top of the group is promotion and, in Tier B, the potential to have a WC 2022 play-off place as a fallback if we fail in the qualifying group not having to play Ireland again
                      Pretty sure you meant that

I've concluded Wales play better if I watch them on TV, so I'm going to do my bit post-pandemic and not go to any matches.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                        Scotland's home draw with Israel in their opener ultimately cost them the group win.
                        Clarke’s decision to make 8 changes for the Slovakia game from the team that beat Serbia was a massive mistake.

Having Ollie McBurnie anywhere near the team is an even bigger mistake.

Comment

The next version of this competition is played 2 June – 27 September 2022, and these are the teams per tier:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022%E...s_League#Teams

It's not yet clear how it will coordinate with Euro 2024 qualification. Surely they won't give a place to Tier D now that it's only the bottom 7?

Comment

Regrettably I think the last two results are an indication of where Scotland are. But we wouldn’t have wanted to be too overconfident going into the tournament, certainly no danger of that now.
                            Last edited by Mr Beast; 19-11-2020, 11:11. Reason: **New - With added stereotypical pessimism edit**

Comment

Win one of the home games and at least draw the other must be the target. Three points might also be enough but I don't think they'll get a draw at Wembley unless England massively underperform. This isn't Euro 96 or the Euro 2000 playoffs where the gap between the sides is small enough to overcome in a one-off game.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Beast View Post
                                Regrettably I think the last two results are an indication of where Scotland are. But we wouldn’t have wanted to be too overconfident going into the tournament, certainly no danger of that now.
                                That is, creating loads of chances and contriving to lose 1-0. Didn't take us long to lose the champions-of-Europe-in-waiting tag. Pah, who cares about promotion, we're concentrating on the cup this season!

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                                  Surely a big factor was that 10 of the german players played against Ukraine a couple of days ago, while the spaniards rotated four of their front six, only keeping the two 21 year olds. That looked like a big deal as the spanish were first to every ball. and after that it all went downhill for germany.
                                  You could maybe cite that in a poor performance leading to a 1-0 or 2-0 defeat. This was something completely different - a collective capitulation so catastrophic that you have to think there was some other reason behind it. Like the team made a pact to get Loew fired. Honestly, I've reffed youth games that ended 16-0 that were less one-sided than this. If Spain had shown less mercy it could have been ten-nothing.

Besides, three days between games is hardly uncommon in football. None of those players had played against the Czechs six days earlier aside from Koch and Max, and the rest had hardly over-exerted themselves against Ukraine.

It'd be really interesting to see what Rangnick would do with this team. Or maybe call great uncle Jupp.

Comment

Comment

Comment

FUBAR = Floreat Ultonia's Boolean Algorithm

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
                                          FUBAR = Floreat Ultonia's Boolean Algorithm
                                          You need to capitalise the R in algorithm

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post

You could maybe cite that in a poor performance leading to a 1-0 or 2-0 defeat. This was something completely different - a collective capitulation so catastrophic that you have to think there was some other reason behind it. Like the team made a pact to get Loew fired. Honestly, I've reffed youth games that ended 16-0 that were less one-sided than this. If Spain had shown less mercy it could have been ten-nothing.

Besides, three days between games is hardly uncommon in football. None of those players had played against the Czechs six days earlier aside from Koch and Max, and the rest had hardly over-exerted themselves against Ukraine.

It'd be really interesting to see what Rangnick would do with this team. Or maybe call great uncle Jupp.
                                            See this is one of the ways in which football has changed a lot. Teams like germany and spain play a certain way, to a certain system, which when it works is great, and they can make it work a lot of the time. But when they fall, they fall fucking hard. If it's not working, it really doesn't work. If you can't run fast enough or long enough to make it work, you don't lose 1-0, you lose like Barcelona to liverpool, or you lose like Barcelona to Bayern munich, or you lose like spain to holland or.....

So if you have a situation where you have two teams that are basically trying to play that way, and one of them for whatever reason, can't make it work, it could theoretically end up any score, as long as that score was really high in the favour of one team. This isn't like the old days where if things really weren't going well that you'd curl up into a ball and keep the score down, and even if they tried it probably wouldn't work. There are plenty of reasons to think that spain might have beaten germany on their best day anyway, but people have to start getting used to what this sort of thing looks like when it goes really badly wrong.

But if people want to use it to push out Low, then fair enough. It's clear that only a crowbar and a thermonuclear device will get him out of that job. But this is always going to be on the cards for anyone who replaces him from time to time.

Comment

The latest "controversy" is that Kenny reportedly showed a 3-minute anti-English/Irish history video to the Irish squad before the England game - which, even if true, is nothing worse than happened during the Charlton era.

Comment

That reminds me of the South Wales Echo asking Sam Warburton before his first match as Wales captain against England if he would give a passionate anti-England speech, to which Sam answered "My dad is English, I quite like him"

Comment

It's the fucking Mail, they still think the Birmingham six are guilty. Anyway it's Irish history, 90% is anti British if you look at it the right way.

Comment

You mean "If you look at it written down"

Comment

Working...
                                                    X