No announcement yet.

Nations Notions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They also have a much higher rate than the Republic of Ireland, who aren't letting anyone in.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
      How come Northern Ireland admitted fans, albeit only 600, when England and Scotland didn't. Don't they have higher infection rates than both of the other countries.
      Stormont decision - much lower lockdown restrictions there than in the Republic, though that should change this week.

Comment

Why are Wales wearing yellow?

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post

Stormont decision - much lower lockdown restrictions there than in the Republic, though that should change this week.
          Well yes, that's clear. The issue is why they allowed fans when England and Scotland who have lower overall rates didn't.

I'm not comparing Northern Ireland to the Republic, to which they have no governmental link, only to other parts of the UK.

Comment

That Portuguese kit is almost good.

Comment

The crowd limit of at NI v Austria suggests that variously

- Stormont can justify different rules to England in ways that Scotland and Wales can't for the obvious geographic reason- the former is easier to isolate

- but in practice NI will have to follow the South by locking down more restrictively. The recent sharp rise in cases in Derry has shocked and suggests previous complacency

- specifically, the Irish FA are under pressure with a real threat that the semi pro structure will face widespread failures. Those 600 fans at Windsor obv won't change that per se- the figure is a PR compromise trying to boost morale

- on field we were predictably knackered even with 5 changes. Austria should have been 3-0 ahead by HT

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                Why are Wales wearing yellow?
                I would imagine because
                a) they have a long history of wearing yellow as their change kit
                b) they want to sell some replica shirts.

Comment

Ray de Galles has already mentioned the consideration towards the colour blind - red/green being the most common type of course.

Although the fact that those with red/green colour blindness tend to see green as a mustardy brown sort of shade, I don't think a deep yellow change kit is the best at solving that clash.

Comment

Seems an unlikely reason - page 28 of this pdf cites five of the worst clashes for the colour blind, two of them being green v red and green v yellow!

Surely a better solution would've been Ireland in white and Wales in red?

Comment

Sunday's game was the first time since a 4.0 win over Turkey in 1975 that the Irish starting 11were all born on the island of Ireland

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                        Sunday's game was the first time since a 4.0 win over Turkey in 1975 that the Irish starting 11were all born on the island of Ireland
                        According to Second Captains' Ken Early: "Derrymen? Whatever they are, it isn't Irish"

Comment

Originally posted by Bridgford Ender View Post
                          Seems an unlikely reason - page 28 of this pdf cites five of the worst clashes for the colour blind, two of them being green v red and green v yellow!

Surely a better solution would've been Ireland in white and Wales in red?
                          Maybe Ireland only had the green available and Wales in yellow was the slightly less worse option?

Comment

A second Irish player tests positive for Covid.

Comment

One of Luxembourg's biggest scalps in recent years, winning 2-1 away to Montenegro, and so have a strong chance of promotion to League B.

Comment

What happened at the end of that game? There appears to have been three red cards in a minute.

Comment

I only noticed the result on Soccerway, so you'll know more than myself.

Comment

https://twitter.com/champion_footy/status/1316120513991892993

Comment

A rare example of the double-slap KO there.

Comment

The last team with a 100% record is...Gibraltar. It looks like they and the Faroes will go up to Tier C. Nobody in the top tier is playing consistently well, possibly because they are tinkering with line-ups prior to the actual WC qualifiers.
                                        Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 14-10-2020, 11:42.

Comment

I thought the first foul was unintentional but the second was more definitely deliberate and out of frustration as he was initially fouled - the play restarted with an Irish free kick.

The dig on Ampadu as he was lying injured on the ground was a wanker's move.

Awful game, even worse than the other recent ones against Ireland.
                                          If I was the ref I would have been desperately trying to blow for the foul by Levitt in an effort to stop mcClean, and reaching for the red card before the tackle. He didn't need to even make contact for that to be a red card. You can't run at top speed into a tackle. If anyone wants a textbook example of excessive force that was it. That's what that automatic red card is for. I must say I was a bit worried when I saw mcClean starting the two games. Kenny gave mcClean his start at Derry, and while he shows little interest in picking him on a regular basis, But I'd sooner take ireland going out on penalties to slovakia than mcClean scoring the winner in that game, and cementing himself into the team. The long term damage would be incalculable. (I don't think the first yellow card was anything other than accidental)

As for the game itself, I still don't understand how Wales didn't get a first half penalty for that incident involving randolph, and that welsh lad he rugby tackled. That's what VAR is for. To counter balance that, Brady and Long should probably have scored, and daryl horgan probably should have scored as well. I didn't see the moore/long incident. I only saw the aftermath. It was not pretty, but that's not really an indicator of guilt.

That game was way better than the recent games between us. We made nearly twice as many passes as in the 2017 one, despite having most of the same players. The issue for ireland is that while the passing game has improved, the forwards keep changing for a variety of reasons, but Ireland only had five outfield subs for that game, and I've actually lost track of how many players have had to withdraw in total over being covid 'close contacts.'Ireland are playing an entirely different kind of football now. It's just going to take a bit of time to get the hang of scoring goals playing this way.

Comment

still don't understand how Wales didn't get a first half penalty for that incident involving randolph, and that welsh lad he rugby tackled. That's what VAR is for

If VAR is to achieve some balance between

a) correcting the worst decisions while

b) giving teams authority to challenge mistakes without a free for all, then

you need a fixed limited number of such challenges as in other sports

Comment

There isn't VAR in Nations League game, is there?

Who and when is the (seeming) quote in italics fro, DG?

Comment

Who and when is the (seeming) quote in italics fro, DG?

It's from TAB in the post directly above it.

Comment

Ah, hadn't read that yet and had been scanning further upthread for one that featured the emoji in DG's piece.

Comment

Sorry about that- phone playing up. Emoji entirely unintended. My Comms people are sourcing a replacement urgently

My point was general- I knew that VAR wasn't being used in this competition (which is odd in itself)

NI should have had a penalty in the Bosnia game but the ref missed a kick in the head...
                                                    Last edited by Duncan Gardner; 14-10-2020, 16:12.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X