No announcement yet.

From Hartlepool to Weymouth - Your Bananarama League 20/21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I presume that would have been the "Campbell's soup veg silo" Felicity mentioned upthread.

Comment

I believe so

Comment

Originally posted by Gert from the Well View Post

Having grown up in Felixstowe I would argue that this applies to all the seaside towns of Suffolk and Norfolk. They foster a weird insular mentality and a propensity for weekend violence.
        Are we all being a little unfair? (Me included.) Let's hear it now for the pro-East Anglia seaside towns' fans.

Comment

As my sister lived in Norfolk for a few years I've been to watch a couple of Boxing Day games at Kings Lynn Town. I can't speak for the town, but The Walks is a great football ground. Massive long covered terrace on one side; hulking great 1950s Grandstand on the other. Be interested to see if the move up in level means they do something to the two ends where there was shallow open terracing on my visits.

Comment

I think I'd just call it The Beavery Beveree Stadium.

"5. Your chosen name will proceed the words 'Beveree Stadium' e.g. The ALAN SIMPSON Beveree Stadium"

https://twitter.com/hrbfc/status/1304014159395393540?s=21

Comment

So Wealdstone's famous plan to show the match against Chesterfield instead club house whilst not allowing fans into the ground has been kiboshed by a waterlogged pitch...

Comment

Stones playing their first game at this level for 32 years. There seems to be BBC live text.

Comment

Looks like it could be a long season...

Comment

Two games off in the National League and four in the National League North, all due to COVID AFAIK (Altrincham and Barnet are the squads with players testing positive in the Prem).
                    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 17-10-2020, 11:26.

Comment

A second seven goal thriller in a week for the Stones. This time it finished well.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                        This time it finished well.
                        Says you...

Comment

Tee hee hee!

Comment

The mere idea that Wealdstone could play Chesterfield in a league game is something that I couldn't have imagined, let alone beating the buggers...

Comment

The way the government's aid package will be split between clubs has been decided. Having previously apparently asked clubs for information about average/expected attendances, suggesting that would be the basis by which the money would be split, they've now decided to give a handful of selected clubs (mainly ex-league) more than the others, and the national division much more than the North and South. Makes for some interesting numbers if you calculate the grants in terms of numbers of paying spectators (based on 19/20 average attendances), with Boreham Wood coming out at the top of the range with over ?100 per fan more than York at the bottom. I'm sure it's complete coincidence that the MP for Borehamwood is Oliver Dowden, the DCMS Secretary...

https://twitter.com/bobbinsoncrusoe/status/1318904787564376065?s=20

Comment

It might create a perverse incentive to lobby against letting fans back in if it means losing out on future 36k monthly payments.

However I think 30k is reasonable for clubs given that I think most clubs need roughly that amount. If a club's costs are higher it's their look-out for overspending.

The Darlo fan board seems happy with it. Their club said they needed 250k for the season and this plus streaming revenue should get there. Note it's not just about attendances but how much clubs are losing through having no social club revenues etc.
                                Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 21-10-2020, 14:14.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                  It might create a perverse incentive to lobby against letting fans back in if it means losing out on future 36k monthly payments.

However I think 30k is reasonable for clubs given that I think most clubs need roughly that amount. If a club's costs are higher it's their look-out for overspending.

The Darlo fan board seems happy with it. Their club said they needed 250k for the season and this plus streaming revenue should get there. Note it's not just about attendances but how much clubs are losing through having no social club revenues etc.
                                  But surely social club revenues etc. are linked to attendances, i.e. clubs who get bigger crowds will be losing more in terms of what they would normally attract through those channels too?

I completely agree that clubs who routinely overspend shouldn't have that recklessness endorsed or propped up in any way, but it just seems a bit odd, not to say unfair, that a club like Boreham Wood, who I assume must also receive some sort of rent payment from Arsenal for their use of the ground, should be doing so well out of this.

Comment

I think the issue about the unfairness of the distribution of the money is important. It was apparently to cover lost revenue (so not about clubs overspending) and given all the clubs submitted this information to the Conference, I had assumed (perhaps naively given how the Conference is run) it would be divided based on average attendance as that's the best way of measuring lost match day revenue? Evidently not given how all the clubs with biggest crowds are at the bottom of the list. Maybe this should be in the Tory corruption thread!

Comment

Can it be proven that the Tories are deliberately giving a boost to smaller clubs knowing they are more likely to be from Tory areas?

Comment

Interesting theory. Wealdstone, whose fans largely come from a less well off area, currently play in the constituency of Johnson...

Comment

Really interesting interview with the Dulwich Hamlet chairman on today's episode of the Price of Football podcast, talking about the issue of the distribution of these monies. I hadn't previously thought of it in the longer term sense that he describes – with the distribution as it stands, some of the clubs at the top end of that scale will be getting more from this aid package for the 3-month period than they would in normal circumstances get through the gate for the whole season, while the likes of Hamlet are now facing the prospect of not having enough money to last the season.

Comment

Wealdstone's first ever trip to The Shay is off thanks to the virus.

Comment

And it was on today, as Wealdstone beat nine Shay men to go clear in second...

Comment

Finally Kings Lynn sign a decent center back - ex- Norwich Youth, played under Culverhouse. Kyle Callan-McFadden from Sligo Rovers https://www.sligorovers.com/callan-m...amily-reasons/

Comment

Yeah, he's not bad.

Comment

https://twitter.com/JackPittBrooke/status/1327257306963337219?s=19

Comment

Working...
                                                    X