From Hartlepool to Weymouth - Your Bananarama League 20/21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From Hartlepool to Weymouth - Your Bananarama League 20/21

Couldn't find a thread on the top of the non-league tier. So here we are - but if there is one - point it out and I will get rid.

Kings Lynn (go ahead - boo hiss) make their first appearance in the Vanarama - before even that Utd club of Manchester, which is great. We lose out on the 'money spinning derbies' with the Pilgrims up the road but look fwd to hosting 14 by my count ex-League clubs to the Walks. Lynn have signed/loaned a couple of lads from Norwich City including the U21 goalkeeper Archie Mair who has just been called up by Scotland U21's. Best off season news was the re-signing of ex-Norwich and Lynn midfielder, 24yr old Cameron King, who was let go by Halifax. Supposedly Crewe had offered him a contract but he decided to come back to Norfolk. Along with keeping the non-league's top goalscorer from last season Adam Marriott - and re-signing Simon Power from Norwich City for another season, most fans are looking for a top 10 finish. I would like the club not to go bankrupt and finish out of the relegation spots in this first year. Exciting times at Kings Lynn - up with the big boys.

The Stones are back!

Comment

Why do we need to boo Kings Lynn?

Comment

If we are doing puns:

Vanarama Morrison

White Vanarama Man

Comment

Vanarama-rama-rama-rama Chameeeeleon

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

The fans have a reputation as being : Racist; Ignorant; Have 6 Fingers and the team is owned / funded by a dodgy UKIP wide boy. I think I have it covered?

However, they have consistently averaged higher attendances than most everyone at their level - and higher than 7 teams in this league from last season.

Comment

King's Lynn (a)

https://twitter.com/Yorktone/status/1218644751915896833?s=20

Comment

Yeah - but this team can play football - despite what happens off the field.

Comment

Originally posted by Jobi1 View Post
                  Bloody hell, like something out of Dawn of the Dead.

Comment

Stephen Cleeve was one of the tyre kickers when it looked as though Wrexham might go pop a few years ago.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/busines...cc86b856d32ac4

Comment

Originally posted by Jobi1 View Post
                      Something rather unpleasant appears to have happened to two men there.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbo McGinnis View Post

Something rather unpleasant appears to have happened to two men there.
                        Revolting Cocks earworm - Stainless Steel Provider

Comment

I don’t know why we’re supposed to dislike Kings Lynn. I enjoyed my afternoon there when I was on a works course there for a week. I even bought an old players shirt for a fiver.

Comment

To be fair to Exiled off Main Street I remember watching Adam Marriott at Cambridge City, he was some player whose positional play in the box was second-to-none for Step 3. Good to see he back a Step 1 where I think he belongs.

Comment

Originally posted by My Name Is Ian View Post
                              Stephen Cleeve was one of the tyre kickers when it looked as though Wrexham might go pop a few years ago.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/busines...cc86b856d32ac4
                              Don't remind me of that fucking saga. Ashley Ward was sniffing around too and that would have also turned us into a soap opera.... one of those "scripted reality" ones on ITV's digital channels of despair.

Comment

Wealdstone start the season at home to Cheaterfield. A league fixture that I'd never have invisioned...

Comment

Cheated at what, remind me.

Comment

Darren Brown and their 2001 promotion. Can't remember the detail except he eventually went down for fraud and the club went into administration but still got promoted.

Comment

Lived in King's Lynn for a while. Interesting place.

Comment

After staying in a bed and breakfast in Cambridge the next day I hitched to King`s Lynn and got a lift from a couple who were quite drunk and arguing violently. The man drove fast down narrow country lanes, avoiding the main routes into the town. They invited me to stay with them, but on arriving home there was a letter waiting for him about a court appearance of his. He did a runner; she advised me to leave. I wasn’t so unhappy about this.

Comment

KL is an interesting place, though less so now the Campbell’s soup veg silo has been demolished

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ethan View Post
                                            Lived in King's Lynn for a while. Interesting place.
                                            Having grown up in Felixstowe I would argue that this applies to all the seaside towns of Suffolk and Norfolk. They foster a weird insular mentality and a propensity for weekend violence. When I was 18 I was into punk and started drinking in Ipswich (11 miles away) and it seems to amaze a lot of the people I grew up as to quote them 'it was full of blacks". My school year of 200 had IIRC 4 non-white kids.

Comment

Kings Lynn was always speedway to me. No other connections.

Having just checked, I'm surprised they never won the British League, back when that was a thing. They seemed to be taking on Exeter every other week.

Comment

Certainly the only time I've been to Kings Lynn was for speedway. It was a World Cup event six or seven years ago on a blistering hot evening which was a great way to see the track, though I'd love to go back and watch the Stars there too.

I did see the football team away at Warrington Town in the play-off "super-final" to get in to the Conference North a couple of seasons ago and a large section of their fans were indeed very objectionable. I'm not sure I've ever seen massed fighting at that level before and they were clearly the main aggressors (I moved stands about 15 minutes in because I could see what their behavior could lead to).

The team were good though.
                                                Last edited by Ray de Galles; 09-09-2020, 10:24.

Comment

KL wasn't that home to a massive sugar beet factory that would waft a sickly sweet yet rotting veg smell through the car whenever we drove past on the way from Boston to Newmarket to visit my grandma on a Sunday back in the early part of the 70s.

Though it might have been Wisbech?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X