Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rogin the Armchair fan
    replied
    Chorley v Wayne Rooney's Derby just got interesting, odds-wise.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55560401

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    The Beeb's audience might not be aware that there were amateur winners of the FA Cup before the League was founded, which the Beeb are falsely conflating with 'non-league.' Sloppy that they don't qualify their statement accordingly but I suppose it's an example of sacrificing accuracy for a soundbite.

Coventry couldn't even put out a first-string team that could beat Sutton.
    True, and it would be a far larger shock now for a team that finished 7th in the top flight would go out of the Cup in the same season to a side that wasn't even in the 5th tier.
    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 01-12-2020, 18:11.

Leave a comment:

• Jah Womble
    replied
    Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
    The most meaningless historical fact someone will trot out during the Marine-Spurs game is that Spurs are the last non-league team to win the Cup. Put it on your bingo card now.
    That went this morning via the BBC.

However, the expression you're seeking is 'only non-league team...'

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
    Similarly, Spurs could probably put out a 3rd string that would beat Marine, which might not have been possible for, say, Coventry when they lost to Sutton.
    Coventry couldn't even put out a first-string team that could beat Sutton.
    Last edited by Jah Womble; 01-12-2020, 18:00.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    The number of tiers was increased much more recently than 40 years ago, though. We didn't used to have a Conference N and S, for example.

It's probably more meaningful to look at wealth gaps: Spurs have a far larger wealth advantage over Marine than would apply to any Cup shock I can recall. Similarly, Spurs could probably put out a 3rd string that would beat Marine, which might not have been possible for, say, Coventry when they lost to Sutton. There might be a much bigger wealth gap between Man City and a typical 3rd tier team today than there was between Leeds and Wimbledon in the 70s (or Newcastle and Hereford).

Leave a comment:

• Rogin the Armchair fan
    replied
    The most meaningless historical fact someone will trot out during the Marine-Spurs game is that Spurs are the last non-league team to win the Cup. Put it on your bingo card now.

Leave a comment:

• Jah Womble
    replied
    Originally posted by Capybara View Post
    I've found the 'first time ever' stuff in the media a tiny bit irritating given that the pyramid system is barely forty years old.
    So how old does the pyramid system need to be before we can stop speaking in whispers?

Leave a comment:

• nmrfox
    replied
    The only positive about our draw is that it isn't on a Tuesday night.

Leave a comment:

• Capybara
    replied
    I've found the 'first time ever' stuff in the media a tiny bit irritating given that the pyramid system is barely forty years old.

Leave a comment:

• Jah Womble
    replied
    Well, yes, given that this is the first time ever that a tier-eight club has drawn top-flight opposition in the FA Cup.

Originally posted by Artificial Hipster View Post

It took you 2 games to see off Rochdale too.
    Yes, but we ended up doing them for six - Wycombe were more than unlucky to let a two-goal lead at our place slip.

Leave a comment:

• Rogin the Armchair fan
    replied
    Originally posted by Nesta View Post
    In the unlikely event of marine turning over spurs, would it be objectively the biggest upset in fa cup history in terms of league position?
    I think it would be, yes. Sutton weren't tier 8 when they knocked Coventry out (and Coventry weren't top of the league).

Leave a comment:

• Artificial Hipster
    replied
    Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
    Delighted for Marine - if a tiny bit apprehensive on our part! (I still remember Wycombe a few seasons back - not to mention Altrincham almost doing the unthinkable at WHL in 1979.)
    It took you 2 games to see off Rochdale too.

Leave a comment:

• Nesta
    replied
    In the unlikely event of marine turning over spurs, would it be objectively the biggest upset in fa cup history in terms of league position?

Leave a comment:

• Baptiste
    replied
    Originally posted by Exiled off Main Street View Post
    Man City in Cup Home draw shock
    Chelsea too.

Our record at Oakwell is P26 W0 D11 L15, so that was a nice draw.

Leave a comment:

• DCI Harry Batt
    replied
    I guess so, yeah. Although I'd rather we were listed under W tbh.

Leave a comment:

• Jah Womble
    replied
    Delighted for Marine - if a tiny bit apprehensive on our part! (I still remember Wycombe a few seasons back - not to mention Altrincham almost doing the unthinkable at WHL in 1979.)

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
    I hadn't realised they deliberately chose the name for that reason. How odd.
    I'm assuming that AFC Wimbledon - should they somehow bag themselves promotion (Unlikely. League I Ed.) - would then become #2 in the draw?

Leave a comment:

• pebblethefish
    replied
    Brentford v Middlesboro. Kind of glad I won't be able to go to that one.

Leave a comment:

• Exiled off Main Street
    replied
    Man City in Cup Home draw shock

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    Yeah pleased for Marine. Gonna be lots of Marine - Mourinho puns, aren't there.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Wimbledon v Leeds would have been a fantastic, evocative tie...though a cruel one to have with no fans.

Swings, roundabouts.

Leave a comment:

• Artificial Hipster
    replied
    Fantastic draw for Marine, Chorley should be reasonably pleased too. With any luck both ties as well as Stockport's will be chosen for TV. Along with the real stand out tie of course - Man Utd v Watford

Leave a comment:

• Snake Plissken
    replied
    Franchise at home. Last time we played them in the Cup we straight after lost our manager and got relegated.

Leave a comment:

• tee rex
    replied
    A really good draw in normal circumstances, lots of attractive home ties or trips for lower league fans. If only.

Leave a comment:

• Simon G
    replied
    Mansfield at home...

At least it's at home I suppose.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    Salop drawn away to Southampton. Squib.

Leave a comment:

• longeared
    replied
    Exeter away. Fucksticks - I'd love to have gone to that (I went to uni in Exeter) and seen the new away end. Will just have to wait until we play them in the league next season.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X