Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sporting
    replied
    I suppose perching on the rooftops is another possibility, though not one I would engage in.

Leave a comment:

• Third rate Leszno
    replied
    Here's one I took at my last pre-Covid visit in March '20.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Brilliant information. Thank you

Leave a comment:

• Third rate Leszno
    replied
    Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
    I saw bits of that match on ESPN+ and it looked as if the club had erected barriers/hoardings in the spirit of what are called "spite fences" over here.

No, those fences are permanent - although the flags are higher than usual. Couple of reasons for that - more people have asked for flags to be hung in lieu of being there, and more sponsorship boards that must not be obscured by flags.

I think the main reason people were in gardens were because a lot of those houses (in the pic I posted) have the bathroom window with the best view, and the bedroom windows have obstructed views because of the shape of the houses.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Perhaps they don't have the ability to do so on the long side?

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    I saw bits of that match on ESPN+ and it looked as if the club had erected barriers/hoardings in the spirit of what are called "spite fences" over here.
    Not sure:

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied

Last edited by ursus arctos; 08-01-2021, 08:21.

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    Originally posted by torres View Post
    I would think that you would get a pretty uninterrupted view from any of the houses around the ground.
    I thought so too (I've been there) but then I read (BBC):

"For the last round against Havant & Waterlooville, which was also played behind closed doors, several home owners were seen climbing trees and peering over walls and fences to watch."

Maybe the tree climbing is to give an even better view?

On edit: thanks Leszno!

Leave a comment:

• Third rate Leszno
    replied
    There are a couple of houses with uninterrupted views on two sides, but because Marine is effectively a three sided ground (ie no spectator access to the fourth side), the houses on that side all have a full view.

Leave a comment:

• torres
    replied
    I would think that you would get a pretty uninterrupted view from any of the houses around the ground.

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    Question for you groundhoppers: can Marine's pitch be fully or partially seen from any of the houses close to the ground?

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    In the sporting context

And I wasn't even 20 yet. My mother warned me about those people.

Leave a comment:

• caja-dglh
    replied
    It may be a USianism (we don't use "caretaker"), but I always thought "interim" carried a significantly greater possibility of becoming permanent than "caretaker"
    You should have spent more time on Wall Street in the late 70s.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    It may be a USianism (we don't use "caretaker"), but I always thought "interim" carried a significantly greater possibility of becoming permanent than "caretaker"

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    They mean the same - interim is an imported term from the US, I believe.

Leave a comment:

• Simon G
    replied
    Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post

Isn't he the caretaker manager?
    Interim manager.

No, I don't know the difference either.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
    IGiven that Southampton are EPL, I could see the FA giving Shrewsbury the shove, unfairly, to stop Southampton moaning about congestion,
    The precedent was set with Boston and Notts County in earlier rounds. Tbh I don't really mind.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post

Fair enough.

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    A "significant number" of Wednesday's personnel have it too, including pretty much all the coaching/management staff (Pulis got out just in time)

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
    I can't believe the BBC are going with the fuckwitted "Wayne Rooney and Derby County" formulation.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    It's going to be hard for the FA to find slots for these games without either forcing clubs to play a Cup and league game in the same midweek (as happened to Wimbledon in December) or telling the COVIDed club that they have to forfeit. Given that Southampton are EPL, I could see the FA giving Shrewsbury the shove, unfairly, to stop Southampton moaning about congestion, and to prevent a precedent where a BRC might be forced to play a Cup and League game in midweek.

Leave a comment:

• Capybara
    replied
    Brentford seconds v Middlesbrough juniors could be under threat. Boro's got it.

Leave a comment:

• pebblethefish
    replied
    What, that no one cared?

Leave a comment:

• Gangster Octopus
    replied
    Southampton v Shrewsbury Town is off for the standard reason.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    I can't believe the BBC are going with the fuckwitted "Wayne Rooney and Derby County" formulation.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X