Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
    Who fucking cares...
    It seems somewhat churlish to say ‘all the professional clubs in South Yorkshire except one’, but all the professional clubs in South Yorkshire except one.

Comment

Originally posted by Uros Predic View Post
      Hadn’t clocked, before watching Match of the Day just now, that ex-Rovers trio Alfie May, Matty Blair and Andy Williams are all at Cheltenham together. Cracking goal by May today too.
      I'm sure I mentioned in the summer how we were doing our own version of "getting the band back together" by trying to sign all of Donny's promotion winners from a couple of years back.

Seriously though, Alfie was fantastic when he came in originally, but dropped off considerably after the initial lockdown and his confidence has been on the floor all season so far. I'm hoping that goal relights the fire in him though. He was fantastic from start to finish yesterday and the goal really was the least he deserved.

Blair has looked decent at times, but not enough in my view - especially given the reputation he came in with and Andy Williams is a great squad player. I can't recall if he's still our top scorer, but whilst you can see he's trying, there's something missing in him, however, he never lets the side down.

Comment

Andy Williams needs to focus more. He spends too much time watching the girls go by.

Comment

Andy Williams almost belongs in Is he still playing? I know Hereford supporters and I've been to quite a few of their games with them over the years. I remember Andy Williams from the times when Middlesbrough were winning things and playing in Europe, and that's a long time ago.

Comment

He's 34 (which is older than I thought), which means he's nearly at the end of his career - and younger than me!!!

Comment

For fuck's sake.

Comment

Chorley are Wolves and Arsenal away from being in the sixth round.

For the life of me I can't imagine what the big televised 4th round tie out of that lot is going to be.

Comment

Chorley beat Wolves in the cup in 86/87 so on the head to head they'll go in as favourites.

Comment

Manchester City at Whaddon Road.

Reminiscent of my first ever Cheltenham game in August 1994 when we lost 3-2 to a Manchester City XI. A little gutted that I won't be able to go - for obvious reasons - but this is big for us and the players deserve it for the joy they've brought us in the last couple of years.

Comment

Agree that drawing 2 rounds has spoilt it, especially as there's no fans.

​​​​​​They might as well have drawn it all.

there will at least be 2 quarter finalists from outside the big boys - the Burnley/Fulham/Bournemouth/Crawley set, and Sheff Utd/Plymouth/Millwall/Bristol C

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                        there will at least be 2 quarter finalists from outside the big boys - the Burnley/Fulham/Bournemouth/Crawley set

Comment

Harsh on Bournemouth.

Comment

Well I'm kind of relived we've got a pretty meh tie, but there is now a small glimmer that we could have a proper cup run.

Comment

Simon G Cheltenham v Manchester City on BBC1 at 17.30 on the Saturday evening. Is this your first appearance live on terrestrial TV?

Comment

No, we were on BBC 1 in 2006 when we played Newcastle in the 4th round as well. That was a Saturday lunchtime game and I remember it being bloody freezing. Newcastle won 2-0, but we played well although once they got their second they took their foot off the gas.

Alan Shearer needed a goal to break the Newcastle goal scoring record and missed an absolute sitter near the end - he scored a week later at St James's and admitted afterwards that he missed on purpose because he wanted to score it at home.

I don't think we've been on terrestrial TV any other time - I can probably list the times we have been on TV in our history....

May 1998 - FA Trophy Final - Beat Southport 1-0 - Sky
                                Sept 1999 - Division 3 - Lost 1-0 to Shrewsbury - Sky
                                Feb 2001 - Divisioon 3 - Lost 2-0 to Chesterfield - Sky
                                May 2002 - Division 3 Playoff Final - Beat Rushden 3-1 - ITV Sport
                                Jan 2006 - FA Cup 4th Round - Lost 2-0 to Newcastle - BBC 1
                                May 2006 - League 2 Playoff Semi 1st leg - Beat Wycombe 2-1 - Sky
                                May 2006 - League 2 Playoff Semi 2nd Leg - Drew 0-0 with Wycombe - Sky
                                May 2006 - League 2 Playoff Final - Beat Grimsby 1-0 - Sky
                                May 2012 - League 2 Playoff Semi 1st Leg - Beat Torquay 2-0 - Sky
                                May 2012 - League 2 Playoff Semi 2nd Leg - Beat Torquay 2-1 - Sky
                                May 2012 - League 2 Playoff Final - Lost 2-0 to Crewe - Sky
                                Dec 2012 - FA Cup 2nd Round - Drew 1-1 with Hereford - ESPN
                                Jan 2013 - FA Cup 3rd Round - Lost 5-1 to Everton - ESPN
                                May 2013 - League 2 Playoff Semi 1st Leg - Lost 1-0 to Northampton - Sky
                                May 2013 - League 2 Playoff Semi 2nd Leg - Lost 1-0 to Northampton - Sky
                                Aug 2015 - National League - Beat Wrexham 2-1 - BT Sport
                                Oct 2015 - National League - Beat Grimsby 1-0 - BT Sport
                                Jan 2016 - National League - Beat Dover 2-1 - BT Sport
                                March 2016 - National League - Lost 2-1 to Wrexham - BT Sport
                                April 2016 - National League - Beat Grimsby 3-1 - BT Sport
                                Aug 2017 - League Cup 2nd Round - Lost 2-0 to West Ham - Sky
                                June 2020 - League 2 Playoff Semi 1st Leg - Beat Northampton 2-0 - Sky
                                June 2020 - League 2 Playoff Semi 2nd Leg - Lost 3-0 to Northampton - Sky

We were also on Sportsnight in 1996 when we played Peterborough in an FA Cup 1st round replay - losing 3-2 after extra time, and we were on Match of the Day as an extended highlights game for our FA Cup 1st round defeat to Lincoln City (1-0). I think we actually went into that game as favourites as we were the home team flying high in the Conference and had made the 3rd round the previous year taking Reading to a replay and extra-time, and Lincoln were rock bottom of Division 2.

We've actually been on telly more times than I thought - when I started the list I thought it was 4 or 5 times...

Comment

Southampton v Shrewsbury rescheduled for Tuesday night. Leeds will have the night off.

Honestly can't believe they bumped a Premier League fixture for this.

Comment

The FA can overrule the EPL on fixtures? Leeds might welcome having a pause, though.

Comment

if you aren't watching Southampton v Shrewsbury you won't see Fraser Forster's muttonchops.

Comment

Oh and Shrewsbury are 1-0 down after 15 minutes

Comment

After our keeper conceded from a goal kick tonight (Newport's only shot on target) I bet Man City are shitting themselves about coming to Whaddon Road on Saturday.

Comment

Other than the goal which was slightly unfortunate, a solid performance from Salop so far tonight, but I'm struggling to see an equaliser. More likely a 2nd for Saints on the break. Still we're giving it a go. Just not quite the required accuracy when we see an opening.

Comment

They've brought on the Cum-dog! 5 minutes to go.

Comment

Cumdog on for a centre half. Adventurous or what? Expect either a spectacular 25-yrd top corner piledriver or a golden 1-on-1 blazed out for a throw-in.

Edit x-p with PT

Comment

Tbf but for some last ditch heroics Shrewsbury would have been well beaten tonight.

Ward-Prowse gets a goal to finally kill it

Comment

Fucksticks. Ah well.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X