X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FA Cup, 2020-2021

Lewes call for redistribution of prize money from final rounds

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53843756

Burton Park Wanderers will get the ball rolling. Burton Latimer, this is. Hope DI Barnaby isn't needed at any point.
    Burton Park Wanderers' FA Cup debut at home to AFC Sudbury will be broadcast live on the BBC Sport website and iPlayer.

Comment

Burton Park Wanderers are an obvious recipient of the random draw to determine who to invite - they used to be one of the worst step 6 clubs in the country and basically only stayed in the United Counties to make up the numbers. Think they've improved a bit in recent years.

Thought the BBC would go for Hashtag United but they got drawn away at Park View, who play at a crappy athletics stadium just down the road from Tottenham's spaceship. Can't imagine that's an easy venue for an outside broadcast.

Speaking of Tottenham, year ending in one and that.

Comment

If I do go anywhere it will probably be Harlow Town v Enfield (including Jamie Cureton) but Sawbridgeworth Town are at home to Romford, which will be barbaric. ‘Sawbo’ were truly woeful last season and were all but down till the pandemic ended their season, conceding 4+ a fair few times and with Tamplin no doubt blowing a load of money on players from higher up the pyramid to join this latest circus, they could quite conceivably get double figures. Though I have seen that the Essex Senior League commences on 5th September, so I might save Sawbridgeworth for then or another day.

Comment

Park View's New River Stadium is hardly crappy and I imagine it could easily accommodate an outside broadcast unit though it probably falls down on the level of non-league charm the BBC would want.

Comment

We went to the Extra Preliminary Round at Teesdale Park last night to watch Thornaby FC 2-0 Bridlington Town and my highlight was meeting an ultra in a Kutte.

Comment

I watched Sutton Common Rovers make light work of AFC Croydon Athletic last night at the latter's Mayfield Stadium. They go on to play Broadfields United in the next round, who I confess to never having heard of.

Comment

Southend Manor 0-5 Ware to get me back on the road to Wembley.

Comment

Broadfields used to be based in Harrow, in a country club of the same name. They now groundshare at Harefield.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                    Broadfields used to be based in Harrow, in a country club of the same name. They now groundshare at Harefield.
                    I will instantly forget this, but cheers

Comment

I've been to the New River Stadium a few times to watch the London Skolars play rugby league. My team got drawn to play them there in the Challenge Cup, but they switched the tie to Wakefield. Good little setup, but only one actual stand. And a pesky athletics track.

I saw Harlow Town 5 Enfield Town 1. Enfield were bobbins. One older fan had a knotted hankie on his head throughout, which was incongruent.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty Trin View Post
                        I've been to the New River Stadium a few times to watch the London Skolars play rugby league. My team got drawn to play them there in the Challenge Cup, but they switched the tie to Wakefield. Good little setup, but only one actual stand. And a pesky athletics track.

I saw Harlow Town 5 Enfield Town 1. Enfield were bobbins. One older fan had a knotted hankie on his head throughout, which was incongruent.
                        They did it up a few years ago and have a 3G pitch and new floodlights. There’s also a bar as well that offers a bit of a balcony, which is nice.

Comment

I see Glenn Tamplin’s Romford lost to Sawbridgeworth Town last night. ‘Sawbo’ were absolutely woeful last year and were marooned at the foot of the Essex Senior League on something like 7 points at the suspension of the season, so that’s quite a shock. I saw Romford play Harlow in a friendly on Saturday and their side didn’t seem to have many recognisable names from higher up the non-league pyramid, let alone the likes of some of the names he had at Billericay. I also noticed there was no Tamplin on Saturday and he hasn’t tweeted for quite some time (and doesn’t seem to have made a big deal about leaving Twitter or anything). Strange goings on.

Comment

Jumbo McGinnis did you go to Sawbo? Like you, I thought they'd get an absolute pasting, but they won 2-1 with a last minute winner. Would love to know what went on there, but both teams' social media output is pretty limited.

As I posted on the minor plusses of COVID thread, we gave an official attendance of 292 at Walthamstow v London Lions - we averaged about 70 last season. It was our highest attendance since 1996, and I'd say about 80% were home fans. Lions were very good for a step 6 side, and it took us a good while to break them down.

In the end, two very good goals and one good one meant we won 3-2. There's some highlights here for those who are that way inclined.

I'm half tempted by West Essex v Crawley Green tonight, as it's only around the corner, but I've got an appointment at the dentist at 5...

Comment

Originally posted by Forest Gump View Post
                              Jumbo McGinnis did you go to Sawbo? Like you, I thought they'd get an absolute pasting, but they won 2-1 with a last minute winner. Would love to know what went on there, but both teams' social media output is pretty limited.

As I posted on the minor plusses of COVID thread, we gave an official attendance of 292 at Walthamstow v London Lions - we averaged about 70 last season. It was our highest attendance since 1996, and I'd say about 80% were home fans. Lions were very good for a step 6 side, and it took us a good while to break them down.

In the end, two very good goals and one good one meant we won 3-2. There's some highlights here for those who are that way inclined.

I'm half tempted by West Essex v Crawley Green tonight, as it's only around the corner, but I've got an appointment at the dentist at 5...
                              I didn’t. I debated going but expected a pasting, even after being a bit disappointed by Romford on Saturday at Harlow, and like you, I sought some sort of information on it on social media but to no avail.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbo McGinnis View Post

I didn’t. I debated going but expected a pasting, even after being a bit disappointed by Romford on Saturday at Harlow, and like you, I sought some sort of information on it on social media but to no avail.
                                Your post got in just before my reply! As you say, something a bit odd going on at Romford. There's a few 'names' in their team from last night - Matthew Cafer is the Gibraltar keeper, and I recognise Sean-Bonnett Johnson, Alfie Potter and Laurent Hamici, they're all getting on a bit now though. Only four subs named too...

Comment

Apart from the inevitable Hashtag Utd, the opening round provided a few contenders for that Twitter thread featured here a while back, on notable FA Cup names. Finalists:

West Allotment Celtic
                                  Northampton Old Northamptonian Chenecks (winners)

(I was going to include Badshot Lea but they've probably heard all the jokes - well, the one joke ...)

Comment

My wife was working until 7.30 on Tuesday night, which was just too late for me to be able to justify getting over to Lancing for their match against Phoenix Sports.

It ended in a 3-3 draw, with Phoenix Sports winning 11-10 on penalties, so I could have rocked up at half-time and still had a full evening's worth of football. My first mis-step of the season, right there.

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
                                      (I was going to include Badshot Lea but they've probably heard all the jokes - well, the one joke ...)
                                      I've driven through that village many times, and never fail to be amused by the shop called "Bad Shot Ceramics". And the extra space there is not a typo by me.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbo McGinnis View Post
                                        I see Glenn Tamplin’s Romford lost to Sawbridgeworth Town last night. ‘Sawbo’ were absolutely woeful last year and were marooned at the foot of the Essex Senior League on something like 7 points at the suspension of the season, so that’s quite a shock. I saw Romford play Harlow in a friendly on Saturday and their side didn’t seem to have many recognisable names from higher up the non-league pyramid, let alone the likes of some of the names he had at Billericay. I also noticed there was no Tamplin on Saturday and he hasn’t tweeted for quite some time (and doesn’t seem to have made a big deal about leaving Twitter or anything). Strange goings on.
                                        Interesting story about the guy who got the winner to beat Romford

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...herts-54055625

Comment

Kendal Town v Bishop Auckland tomorrow for my first post lockdown (and possibly my last pre- second lockdown) game. With average crowds of around 150 and plenty of space around the ground it's unlikely that social distancing etiquettes need to be unduly breached. Looking forward to it. As I have mentioned on OTF recently Kendal have a claim to be the most fortunate non - league club around at the moment, having escaped relegation by technicality over the last two seasons having been doomed by their performances.

No matter, they have come out fighting in the elongated pre-season with a host of new signings including a Spanish and an Argentinian player. I can only imagine they are keen walkers.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                            Uros Predic apparently they're now playing at Rayners Lane.
                                            Last edited by Gangster Octopus; 12-09-2020, 15:58.

Comment

Sir Nodwald Holder! Audrey Roberts out of Corrie! Jerome K Jerome! Yer Walsall Wood boys and their 3 men on a boat travelling army took the hell of a beating, what? Worcester City are back

Comment

At least 5 ties at the weekend were forfeited because of the virus, apparently.

Is there a recommended source for early round info? The FA (dot com) can hardly be bothered promoting their own competition, and the BBC is a joke.

Comment

This part of the FA site covers the results in full, including the walkovers.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X