Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Damn, I'm away next weekend and would have loved the Corinthian Casuals v Dulwich Hamlet (El Pinkico?), in the event I could have got a ticket?

Is St Albans v Hitchin a big local derby? Met Police v Walton Casuals is a derby but not so big (obviously the regionalised nature of the draw does throw a lot up).
    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 25-09-2020, 13:33.

Leave a comment:

• Uros Predic
    replied
    The second qualifying round has been drawn. At present sides at Step 2, if drawn at home, will be playing their ties behind closed doors. Though apparently the FA are considering a concession on this.

Corinthian Casuals vs Dulwich Hamlet is a very 1920s tie. Potential banana skins for Welling United at Sheppey United and Hampton & Richmond at Corinthian.

Once again there are some ties that could have drawn big crowds if attendances weren't capped; Whitley Bay v Blyth Spartans, Walthamstow v Hornchurch and Alvechurch v Kidderminster.

Last edited by Uros Predic; 25-09-2020, 13:23.

Leave a comment:

• Uros Predic
    replied
    Unless they reverse any ties in which National League South/North teams are drawn at home to see them play away, and make any all National League North/South ties behind closed doors. I'm very much just spitballing here.

Looking at the clubs through to the 2nd Qualifying Round so far, there are quite a few ninth tier teams left in, but only two 10th tier (step 6) sides;
    • Risborough Rangers, who've thus far upset two tier 9 sides so far; Longlevens (4-1 at home in the EP) and Cobham (3-1 away last night)
    • Saltash United, who've upset one tier 9 side Plymouth Parkway (EP on pens), and two tier 8 sides; Paulton Rovers (1-0 in the Prelim) and Cirencester town (3-1 last night)

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    I think test events are suspended as of Monday so the government itself would have to make an exception for the competition.

But it's all moot if National North/South and/or the EFL abandon the season: grounds closed, all staff and players laid off. The FA would have to give byes to the clubs still in the Cup from Step 3 and below straight into Round 3.

Both this and the League Cup should clearly not have started until crowds were safe to come back at all levels, especially as a second spike has always been on the cards.

Leave a comment:

• Uros Predic
    replied
    Aye that point dawned on us when we were watching Whyteleafe last night... that there's going to be less attendable games in rounds going forwards. Unless National North/South sides are allowed to use FA Cup games as test events.

Leave a comment:

• Jumbo McGinnis
    replied
    So, erm...what happens now? I think I’m right in saying the Vanarama North/South teams join the 2QR, which is to be drawn on Friday. But they’re not having fans for the foreseeable, are we going to them forced into behind closed doors games? That’ll hit those clubs hard but if the away teams get a share of gate receipts like I think they do in the ‘proper’ rounds, they’ll get hit too.
    Last edited by Jumbo McGinnis; 23-09-2020, 07:52.

Leave a comment:

• Duncan Gardner
    replied
    Could prompt some cavalier attacking football...

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Hashtag United have a player from Montserrat.

Do we know if all rounds all the way to the final will have no extra time? That might be a leveler.
    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 19-09-2020, 18:54.

Leave a comment:

• Uros Predic
    replied
    The draw for the 1st round qualifying

Few games in there which would've had sizeable crowds without restrictions; particularly Warrington Town v South Shields.

Games are on Tuesday 22 September

Leave a comment:

• Uros Predic
    replied
    Think the bulk of them were Covid related, and subsequent impact of that on squad/travel. Although it looks like Sevenoaks Town against Hounslow was abandoned after an incident of racist abuse

Leave a comment:

• Guy Profumo
    replied
    Were the walkovers due to clubs folding after the extra preliminary round ties having been played?

Leave a comment:

• Uros Predic
    replied
    Yeah, I used to write reports for The Real FA Cup, but the guys who ran it stopped doing it when one of them moved to New Zealand.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Originally posted by tee rex View Post
    Thanks, I've seen that, and it's better than nothing, but a good measure is if Wikipedia does a better job then the official site is no great shakes. I found much more here:

https://facupfactfile.wordpress.com/

I can't find a list of teams entering at later rounds, for example.
    Ah yes, I follow them on twitter but hadn't seen the site.

This site used to be good and had an excellent fixture map for the FA Cup, Vase and Trophy but it's been obsolete for a while, their twitter has been largely inactive recently too.

Leave a comment:

• Tony C
    replied
    "Kicks from the penalty mark".

That would be penalties.

Leave a comment:

• tee rex
    replied
    And from that Twitter account, bad news for The Arsenal:

https://twitter.com/FACupFactfile/st...29736688394242

Leave a comment:

• tee rex
    replied
    Thanks, I've seen that, and it's better than nothing, but a good measure is if Wikipedia does a better job then the official site is no great shakes. I found much more here:

https://facupfactfile.wordpress.com/

I can't find a list of teams entering at later rounds, for example.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    This part of the FA site covers the results in full, including the walkovers.

Leave a comment:

• tee rex
    replied
    At least 5 ties at the weekend were forfeited because of the virus, apparently.

Is there a recommended source for early round info? The FA (dot com) can hardly be bothered promoting their own competition, and the BBC is a joke.

Leave a comment:

• Duncan Gardner
    replied
    Sir Nodwald Holder! Audrey Roberts out of Corrie! Jerome K Jerome! Yer Walsall Wood boys and their 3 men on a boat travelling army took the hell of a beating, what? Worcester City are back

Leave a comment:

• Gangster Octopus
    replied
    Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
    Broadfields used to be based in Harrow, in a country club of the same name. They now groundshare at Harefield.
    Uros Predic apparently they're now playing at Rayners Lane.
    Last edited by Gangster Octopus; 12-09-2020, 15:58.

Leave a comment:

• Tony C
    replied
    Kendal Town v Bishop Auckland tomorrow for my first post lockdown (and possibly my last pre- second lockdown) game. With average crowds of around 150 and plenty of space around the ground it's unlikely that social distancing etiquettes need to be unduly breached. Looking forward to it. As I have mentioned on OTF recently Kendal have a claim to be the most fortunate non - league club around at the moment, having escaped relegation by technicality over the last two seasons having been doomed by their performances.

No matter, they have come out fighting in the elongated pre-season with a host of new signings including a Spanish and an Argentinian player. I can only imagine they are keen walkers.

Leave a comment:

• fatbear
    replied
    Originally posted by Jumbo McGinnis View Post
    I see Glenn Tamplin’s Romford lost to Sawbridgeworth Town last night. ‘Sawbo’ were absolutely woeful last year and were marooned at the foot of the Essex Senior League on something like 7 points at the suspension of the season, so that’s quite a shock. I saw Romford play Harlow in a friendly on Saturday and their side didn’t seem to have many recognisable names from higher up the non-league pyramid, let alone the likes of some of the names he had at Billericay. I also noticed there was no Tamplin on Saturday and he hasn’t tweeted for quite some time (and doesn’t seem to have made a big deal about leaving Twitter or anything). Strange goings on.
    Interesting story about the guy who got the winner to beat Romford

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...herts-54055625

Leave a comment:

• lambers
    replied
    Originally posted by tee rex View Post
    (I was going to include Badshot Lea but they've probably heard all the jokes - well, the one joke ...)
    I've driven through that village many times, and never fail to be amused by the shop called "Bad Shot Ceramics". And the extra space there is not a typo by me.

Leave a comment:

• My Name Is Ian
    replied
    My wife was working until 7.30 on Tuesday night, which was just too late for me to be able to justify getting over to Lancing for their match against Phoenix Sports.

It ended in a 3-3 draw, with Phoenix Sports winning 11-10 on penalties, so I could have rocked up at half-time and still had a full evening's worth of football. My first mis-step of the season, right there.

Leave a comment:

• tee rex
    replied
    Apart from the inevitable Hashtag Utd, the opening round provided a few contenders for that Twitter thread featured here a while back, on notable FA Cup names. Finalists:

West Allotment Celtic
    Northampton Old Northamptonian Chenecks (winners)

(I was going to include Badshot Lea but they've probably heard all the jokes - well, the one joke ...)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X