No More Harry - Premier League 2020/21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hobbes View Post

Hicks and Gilette yes, John Henry no. NESV (latterly FSG) didn't leverage the purchase of either Liverpool or the Red Sox.
    With Liverpool they picked up the club by paying off Tweedledumb and Tweedlecunts' ?300 million bank debt.
    I think it was only ?200 million, but they loaned the club another ?100 million shortly afterwards, to tide them over and to fund king kenny's mad transfer rampage. They also lent them money for the stadium expansion I think, and that is the debt that liverpool have been paying back with their winnings over the last couple of years.

Comment

He's not thought this through, has he? He's doing a financial cost/benefit analysis on something that's really about the need to be seen to be fair. If we make an exception for football because it generates taxes for the NHS, why not do so for other elites just because of their tax bracket or economic profitability?

Comment

I have some sympathy for the idea of vaccinating footballers earlier as they are being asked to risk their lives and careers for our entertainment, and must surely be at a higher risk of exposure in the course of doing their jobs than people who can work remotely, at least. I don't know if there's been any additional studies, but the Ohio State one a while back showed 30% of student athletes who catch covid are left with heart conditions, which would not be ideal for someone making their living as a professional athlete, whose careers (as athletes) aren't long anyway.
        But really they should just shut it all down until it's safe to play again.

Comment

I have sympathy for footballers myself, but they could help themselves. Celebrating by yourself has gone, and we've seen both Manchester sides indulge in lengthy huddles after important wins recently.

I can't remember what game it was recently, but at the full time whistle, two fellow countrymen from opposite sides went off the pitch, arms around each other's shoulders, talking at about 6 inches distance from each other. So if one of them is positive, he could conceivably infect both clubs.

Comment

Anyway there’s a risk every time there is contact, or near contact, in play. And they’re all breathing heavily, yelling etc. all of which ramp up the risk.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
              Anyway there’s a risk every time there is contact, or near contact, in play. And they’re all breathing heavily, yelling etc. all of which ramp up the risk.
              Exactly. In particular, corners.

Comment

If I remember correctly, when Derby only won one top flight game, that was against Newcastle...

Comment

No TV thread for the 12th, so this one will have to do.

With all due respect to Snakey P, I fucking hate Burnley. Just once I'd like to thrash them, absolutely batter them senseless. We never do. I'm sick of it. My ex boss is a ST holder and I fell out with him. I want him to be miserable and this is the best way I can think. Ideally coupled with his business going under. But their refusal to roll over and let it happen will not be forgotten when the man comes around. Their punishment will be Sean Dyche leaving to take over the top job at 'Can't Pay? We'll Take It Away!' to be replaced by Steve Bruce, who'll give us six points a season for precisely two seasons, until relegation.

Comment

Still 0-0. Back to you in the studio, Jeff.

Comment

VAR tying itself up in knots there. Shaw and Brady both pretty lucky to escape a red, but for different reasons.
                      Last edited by EIM; 12-01-2021, 20:52.

Comment

Is that the first time Maguire has ever won a header in the opposition box without committing a foul?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Cogito View Post
                          Is that the first time Maguire has ever won a header in the opposition box without committing a foul?
                          It looked fine to me. A really good header.

Comment

The best header. A perfect header.

Comment

Snake can't say it wasn't coming.

Comment

When was the last time Man Utd were top after Christmas? Presumably 2013?

Comment

Apparently so.

Comment

If spurs beat fulham, and city beat brighton, there will be four teams one point behind liverpool, and three of them will be playing before liverpool play man utd. Things are so tight that Liverpool would go top if they win, but could easily go sixth if they draw. Things are absurdly tight

I would like to see gary neville go ten minutes without using the word 'should'. I know that making reference to what you think is best practice is a normal thing for pundits to do, it's just that Gary's idea of "should involves" a hypothetical Denis Law in an Iron man suit or a bobby charlton who can shoot webs from his wrists. .

Comment

Did Man U ever lose a January lead in the Ferguson era?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                          They lost a March/April lead in the Ferguson era.

Comment

I keep wondering when this guy Bielsa, who's some sort of football genius, is going to turn up. All I see is a bloke sitting on a bucket, looking at a disorganised defence, with a midfield who can't or won't cover them.

Comment

Well, it's Manchester United's to lose, now. In their hands. Squeaky Bum time.

Comment

They lost a huge one in 1998, and another in the last three games in 2012.
                                                Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 18-01-2021, 00:09.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                                                  Well, it's Manchester United's to lose, now. In their hands. Squeaky Bum time.
                                                  It's Man City's if they win their games in hand.

Comment

It's Man City's if they win their games in hand.
                                                    Shush. I am quite enjoying this Manchester United V Liverpool title race while another team (or two) are being very much ignored.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X