No announcement yet.

No More Harry - Premier League 2020/21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hitting the back of the net is hard. Hitting the side of a defender from 3 yards is much easier. Surely tactically the correct coaching now is to insist your players ignore the goal, just get into the area, aim at the side of nearby defender and wait for the spot kicks to roll in. Each one must be reviewed. If that's anything to go by, almost all of them must be given. Maybe when games start finishing seven penalties to five, all for handball, somebody will think of doing something before next summer.

Comment

Originally posted by statto99 View Post
      Hitting the back of the net is hard. Hitting the side of a defender from 3 yards is much easier. Surely tactically the correct coaching now is to insist your players ignore the goal, just get into the area, aim at the side of nearby defender and wait for the spot kicks to roll in. Each one must be reviewed. If that's anything to go by, almost all of them must be given. Maybe when games start finishing seven penalties to five, all for handball, somebody will think of doing something before next summer.
      Robbie Savage and some other ex-pro (missed who) were putting Peter Walton on the spot earlier on BT making exactly this point. (Sorry! Even Robbie Savage is right sometimes.) Walton was squirming, frankly. I have sympathy with refs who must, surely know what a bollocks this is, but don't have any option.

Also, in my role as the contra-Berbaslug, I feel contractually bound to point out that while this is an issue with the handball law, VAR has been the enabler of a lot of stupid decisions that wouldn't have even been noticed without it it, much less given.

(TAB should feel entirely free to scoff at my shoehorning of this, much as I did his yesterday.)

Comment

At this stage you can guarantee that if the referee goes to the pitchside monitor, he will give the decision that VAR have alerted him to.

Instead of, say, looking at the footage and saying "there's no way that's a penalty, I was right the first time".

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
          At this stage you can guarantee that if the referee goes to the pitchside monitor, he will give the decision that VAR have alerted him to.

Instead of, say, looking at the footage and saying "there's no way that's a penalty, I was right the first time".
          That decision is partly influenced by the fact that if they don't give the decision that is expected of them they will be reffing Crawley v Southend the next week

Comment

Good point well made.

Comment

And equally people complained about refs just taking VAR's word for it previously and wanted refs to look at the monitors. Basically the ref is only going to be asked to do that if he has missed something pretty clear cut.* Looking at the monitor is a selling job really, specifically the idea that the ref is the person in charge and has the final say.

* - Clear cut as far as the current rules are concerned, which is a different idea to most people's version of clear cut.

However for the idea that refs should look at the replay and apply a different set of laws than those that currently govern the game (which is in effect what Toby is asking them to do), well surely everyone can see that that would be a very serious issue?

Comment

Originally posted by NickSTFU View Post
                Utterly appalling decision.

I mean fuck sake, what's happened to football?
                A correct decision. An utterly appalling guideline of the laws that refs have been instructed they must follow.

Apportion the blame right. Refs are not to blame for decisions like this. FIFA is.

Comment

Maybe we should just agree that the law is an ass.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                    A correct decision. An utterly appalling guideline of the laws that refs have been instructed they must follow.

Apportion the blame right. Refs are not to blame for decisions like this. FIFA is.
                    IFAB isn't it?

Comment

It's an appalling decision, because Dier wasn't even aware what was going on behind him. I am sure refs can use a measure of discretion. We see plenty of it.

Comment

Originally posted by NickSTFU View Post
                        It's an appalling decision, because Dier wasn't even aware what was going on behind him. I am sure refs can use a measure of discretion. We see plenty of it.
                        The guidelines have been specifically re-written to take out refereeing discretion. Because discretion will lead to inconsistency. So you get appalling one-size-fits-all rules instead.It is rather an either/or, there isn't a middle ground.

Comment

The guidelines have been specifically re-written to take out refereeing discretion. Because discretion will lead to inconsistency. So you get appalling one-size-fits-all rules instead.It is rather an either/or, there isn't a middle ground.
                          According to this article, there is leeway, if a player can't see the ball.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...b-b625917.html

Which, is what happened.

Anyway, we all agree the law is an arse and let's leave there.

I am tired of football.

Already.

And it's not even November.

Comment

Meanwhile Vardy (not VAR)...

Comment

Pep hasn't learnt anything from last season by looks of it. Walker is such a liability and has been for a few years, and who is was watching the runner for the second? Mendy? Beautiful finish by Vardy, who unfortunately looks unable to carry on for much longer. Seems to be moving rather gingerly.

Comment

What a goal.

Comment

Unbelievable finish from Maddison.

Comment

Hahahaha. Three penalties. Mendy is fucking useless. Vardy looks furious at not being on to take it.

Comment

My my ..

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
                                        Harry Kane sent off after the final whistle, presumably for (rightly) calling the ref a fucking muppet.

EDIT: Apparently not, Spurs' goalkeeping coach. My point stands.
                                        I'm with BBC commentator Clinton Morrison on this one. The problem is the change to Laws, not the referee applying them.

Kane must know this, so he was just being petulant and risking a ban for 3 games in which SpurZzz might well drop more than today's 2 points

Anyway, I'd have thought the exaggerated outrage hilarious if Crusaders or NI had been on the wrong end. Honest

Comment

Leicester go top. Let's hope they can edge out Chelsea or Man U for the 4th CL spot this time because they've done more for football in the last 14 months than those two clubs.

Man City need to look seriously at Pep and ask if he's really the man for the job because this season looks a long haul already. With that squad they should be looking at 100 points a season automatically not the 80 or less that looks more likely.

Comment

Marathon not a sprint, Satchmo.

Comment

Seems clear even this early that the Premier League title is heading back to Merseyside. Congratulations, Everton.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
                                                Marathon not a sprint, Satchmo.
                                                Yeah but we've already seen a marathon where Man City were still outside the stadium when Liverpool were on their victory lap.

Comment

Well, I was expecting 5-2, but...
                                                  I might have to watch Match of the Day this evening [been busy with other things for the last two hours!].

Comment

Blimey, 3-0 win against Wolves. Did not see that coming. Nice to see a lower league talent in Jarrod Bowen coming up to make what looks to be a decent fist of the top flight.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X