No announcement yet.

No More Harry - Premier League 2020/21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good choice of title by the OP if the breaking news on SSN is anything to go by. Madrid or Barcelona as possible destinations?

Comment

Man City would be my guess, as I'm not sure the Spanish clubs have the money currently. It would then mean that Man City can rotate England's probable best three forwards (Kane, Sterling, Foden). The one caveat is that Kane would not be a guaranteed first pick; it would depend on form. Would he be happy about that?

Additionally, how many years does he have left as an absolute top-notch striker (he turns 28 in July)?
      Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 17-05-2021, 19:59.

Comment

Pep was saying earlier this season that they wouldn't be spending the kind of money needed to lure Haaland. I can't see Levy letting Kane leave on the cheap. It'd be quite amusing if he were to opt for Arsenal

Comment

Comment

It would probably be good for Kane's fitness and would possibly extend his career if he joined a club where he was rotated a bit more.
            At Spurs he's been brought back into the starting line up before he's even fully recovered (Champions League final?) and played constantly until he breaks down again.

Comment

I would hope that Levy has the good sense to ask a fortune for him and sell him abroad. But it’s Levy, so I’m not holding my breath there.

Absolutely wouldn’t blame Harry for going, though. (Even though it might precipitate a mass exodus...)

Comment

Originally posted by Foot of Astaire's View Post
                Pep was saying earlier this season that they wouldn't be spending the kind of money needed to lure Haaland. I can't see Levy letting Kane leave on the cheap. It'd be quite amusing if he were to opt for Arsenal
                It's not just money, pep seems to have decided that he can do without forwards altogether. It worked out pretty well this season. I just don't see it. It's really going to annoy roy keane, but man utd aren't going to be looking to spend ?150 million on him. Man Utd need to sign Jadon sancho, a fast centre half, move out a bunch of players and that'll be that. Maybe Chelsea could offer a cash + players deal. If spurs could get tammy abraham, fikayo Tomori, and the guts of ?100 million quid, they should snap their hand off. Barcelona don't have two pennies to rub together, Real Madrid aren't much better. His only two real possibilities are Chelsea and PSG, but the latter would require them to sell mbappe. There's a lot of players that are going to have to recognise that the market for big transfers has collapsed to an alarming degree.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
                  It would probably be good for Kane's fitness and would possibly extend his career if he joined a club where he was rotated a bit more.
                  At Spurs he's been brought back into the starting line up before he's even fully recovered (Champions League final?) and played constantly until he breaks down again.
                  You have to understand that this is what he wants. It's not good for him, but he's one of these play every minute merchants. They're great for managers in the short term, but they're doing long term damage when they do this sort of thing.

Comment

Which is why it is far from nailed on that Haaland will leave Dortmund, especially now that they will be in the Champions League.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post

You have to understand that this is what he wants. It's not good for him, but he's one of these play every minute merchants. They're great for managers in the short term, but they're doing long term damage when they do this sort of thing.
                      Possibly, or it could just be what he thinks he needs to do to succeed. He possibly sees Ronaldo and Messi playing every game and thinks he has to do the same, but isn't smart enough to realise that the reason they can do this is that everyone around them does all the hard work and pressing and the tracking back leaving them free to conserve their energy and able to focus on attacking. The right sort of manager at the right sort club could easily teach him this whereas the likes of Mourinho would just exploit his sheepdoglike willingness to run himself into the ground.
                      Last edited by Sean of the Shed; 17-05-2021, 21:05.

Comment

It's not just money, pep seems to have decided that he can do without forwards altogether.
                        I think Manchester City are going to work Torres into being a striker, same way Jesus has become not a striker. The way they might make it balance to spend big is by selling Sterling perhaps, but as you rightly say they haven't seemed to miss having a striker that much this year. Which with a limited market and very expensive options may well lead you to wait until next year and hope on Haaland making it through the summer.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
                          You know he was probably talking about Spurs too? Unless you don't consider them "one of the bigger sides?"
                          Maybe so, but I was talking about Liverpool. Well, more accurately their supporters. (Albeit humorously.)

The majority of PL sides are 'big clubs' so I don't really get too involved with all that stuff. (Newcastle are a very big football club, but are 16th and haven't won a major trophy since the 1960s.)

But yeah, if we must, my lot are one of the bigger sides. Hence the pressure continues to be what it is.

Comment

We'll have him. Ashley Barnes, straight swap.

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
                              The board goes up based on the sideline time keeping by the fourth official. The ref who has the whistle can differ in opinion.
                              Really? Whenever I have been doing sidelines reporting the ref gives a signal to the fourth official. Used to three/four/five fingers etc down the side of the ref's shorts. Nowadays sometimes communicated by radio.

Comment

I believe it to be the case that different competitions (and even sometimes different teams of officials within a given competition) handle this differently.

There is no particular process mandated by the Laws.

Comment

None of which really addresses my point that refs - English, Premier League refs - appear to feel they have to add on "extra" additional time to give an attacking team the opportunity to score. Which is comparatively new, and wrong.

Comment

I watched a bit of Raith's first playoff game, first half, and the half ended almost exactly on 45 minutes - like, three or four seconds over. That doesn't ever happen in games I watch.

Comment

Considering the preciseness of time keeping in other major sports football certainly lags way behind. I'd actually only allow the referee to blow when the ball crosses the half way line after time is officially up.

Doesn't really answer your point though.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
                                        Possibly, or it could just be what he thinks he needs to do to succeed. He possibly sees Ronaldo and Messi playing every game and thinks he has to do the same, but isn't smart enough to realise that the reason they can do this is that everyone around them does all the hard work and pressing and the tracking back leaving them free to conserve their energy and able to focus on attacking. The right sort of manager at the right sort club could easily teach him this whereas the likes of Mourinho would just exploit his sheepdoglike willingness to run himself into the ground.
                                        I don't think that such clubs really exist. There's players like this at every club. Mane and Salah do not like to be substituted or rested. fernandes and maguire don't like to be rested, I suspect it has a lot to do with the compulsive nature of a lot of top athletes which seems to be required to reach the very top. And though it's hard to tell at the moment, but there's very few clubs that will leave a forward out of their pressing. Robert Lewandowski has to do pressing in so far as bayern have to do it. It's also not so much that Jose just wants to pick his famous players who will pull a piece of magic out of their arse, or score with their one chance. Pochettino seems to believe that the main aspect of injuries is psychological. But to varying degrees, if your star player tells you he is fit, you are going to pick him, because you may not be able to tell otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenlander View Post
                                          Considering the preciseness of time keeping in other major sports football certainly lags way behind. I'd actually only allow the referee to blow when the ball crosses the half way line after time is officially up.

Doesn't really answer your point though.
                                          The thing is that the amount of time the ball is in play in a football game varies quite widely and goes from on average 60-65% of the official 90 minutes. One way of sorting it out would be to change halves from 45 minutes a side with stoppage time, to 30 minutes of active play in each half. That sounds simple, but any system that has to rely on stopping and starting a watch is going to be about as widely applicable as VAR, and is going to be a nightmare for TV broadcasts.

Comment

TV seems to have figured it out for Rugby, AFL, NFL, NHL, NBA, cricket and probably others that I haven't thought of.

Comment

It's all fun and games until the ref looks down and sees that he hasn't pressed the stopwatch either at the start or the end of a passage of play.

Comment

None of the refs in the aforementioned sports are in charge of the clock.

Comment

The thing is that the amount of time the ball is in play in a football game varies quite widely and goes from on average 60-65% of the official 90 minutes.
                                                  50% or less if Tony Pulis is in charge of one of the teams.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                                    I watched a bit of Raith's first playoff game, first half, and the half ended almost exactly on 45 minutes - like, three or four seconds over. That doesn't ever happen in games I watch.
                                                    Scottish football, in my experience, seems to generally play less stoppage time. If you watch Final Score the first few matches to reach full time tend to be from the Scottish League. I guess there may be different guidance given to referees.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X