No announcement yet.

No More Harry - Premier League 2020/21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They'll be dancing in the streets of Abu Dhabi or wherever...

Comment

NBC ludicrously showing a list of most EPL wins (Man U 13, Man City 5, Chelsea 5...)

Comment

Congrats to Tony C and caja-dglh on the title. Delighted for Leicester winning at one of their nemesis grounds; here's hoping they take their away form with them on Saturday.

Comment

4 points from 2 games needed for Leicester to reach the Champions League now. Which could become 1 point from 2 games is Liverpool were to lose a game...

Comment

Liverpool haven't strung together four league wins all season and they face 4 games in 11 days, the first two of which are less than 48 hours apart. It's a tough ask.

West Ham are, ironically, relying on London rivals Chelsea and Spurs to beat Leicester, if they somehow win their three. West Ham can't realistically catch Chelsea if the latter beat Arsenal due to Chelsea being 13 goals ahead on GD.
            Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 11-05-2021, 21:00.

Comment

If I didn't know better, i'd say that you almost cared about all this...

Comment

Some people enjoy doing calculations, GO. The situation they pertain to can be barely relevant and yet it's still fun to figure out the permutations.

Comment

This is true and goes back to doing them as a teenager.

Comment

Ah, Janik, it was more of a reference to Satchmo being someone without an iron in the fire...

Comment

By the way, I'd be lying if I said that I don't keep an eye on these things...

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                        I wouldn't write Leicester off until West Ham or Liverpool show they can get the points to overtake them. It does look as though the threshold for 3rd and 4th is a lot lower than usual.
                        As an aside to this from several days ago, the threshold is actually likely to be a little higher than last season.

In 2019-20, Man United (3rd) and Chelsea (4th) both had 66 points. Leicester (5th) got 62, a total they had already matched after 33 games this time around.

As things stand in 20-21, Leicester (currently 3rd) have 66 points with 2 games to play, Chelsea (4th) 64 with 3 to play and Liverpool (6th, but with the highest potential maximum total) 57 with 4 to play.

However, go back to 2018/19 and Arsenal got 70 points yet finished 5th. As did Chelsea the season before that.

Comment

I don't think any liverpool fan can have too many complaints about man utd's performance tonight. It was 1-1 when solskjaer threw on Cavani and rashford to try and nick the game. and then fernandes to try and grab a point, when ideally he would have rested all three. Even then Man utd restricted leicester to one shot in the first 45 minutes. And what a shot it was. The technical ability of the generation of players born around the millennium is absolutely absurd. The balls required to try that shot is one thing, the ability to pull it off is quite another. Thing is I'm not sure it was even the best goal of the game. Greenwood made drawing in the centre half with his first touch, then bursting past him with his second and then with his other foot, drilling the ball through the legs of a defender, just slightly outside where the goalkeeper could reach it with his legs, and six inches inside the post, look very easy indeed. I suppose it's apples and oranges. I suppose ultimately you can construct a goal of beautiful precision and elegant technical perfection, but it's hard to beat someone sprinting fifty yards to cushion volley a cross that has icicles on it into the far top corner.

Oooh and congrats to Tony C and Dglh.

Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 11-05-2021, 23:24.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                            Ah, Janik, it was more of a reference to Satchmo being someone without an iron in the fire...
                            On the contrary, Satchmo wants to know which clubs are going to be tired out from their European exertions and subsequently rest players when Barnsley come to town next season.

Comment

I'd like Leicester to pip Liverpool to the Champions League. I went to university there and I have some antagonism towards Liverpool due to an injustice against Barnsley at Oakwell in 1998. Playing Liverpool after one of their Thursday trips to eastern Europe would also be an advantage although I fear we'll get hammered even by their most tired side.

I think Solksjaer was conflicted. He clearly cared about the game he was watching but had already committed to fielding the second string. His big error was the subs before defending a corner. Leicester also improved a lot in the second half so credit to the manager there.

It does feel that the current top 4 have been the best 4 sides by some margin since Xmas.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                                However, go back to 2018/19 and Arsenal got 70 points yet finished 5th. As did Chelsea the season before that.
                                Back in 2013, Spurs managed to finish in fifth place on 72 points. High-standard top five that season.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                  I think Solksjaer was conflicted. He clearly cared about the game he was watching but had already committed to fielding the second string. His big error was the subs before defending a corner. Leicester also improved a lot in the second half so credit to the manager there.
                                  I'm not sure that Anthony Elanga would have done a better job than marcus Rashford at defending that corner, He's not very tall. And given that that back four was put together on the basis that they're not in the team, and they only had one day to prepare, I'm going to posit that there wasn't a very high degree of co-ordination to begin with, so the substitutes are hardly breaking up a well oiled defensive machine. Also Solskjaer wanted to win that game, it just wasn't very likely under the circumstances. .

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                    Back in 2013, Spurs managed to finish in fifth place on 72 points. High-standard top five that season.
                                    Or a weaker 15 I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post

Fixture congestion reduces the gap.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                                        Both.

Comment

Klopp is understanding:

https://www.theguardian.com/football...fixtures-crime

Comment

That's another reason to hope Liverpool don't reach the CL.

Comment

That Klopp article is rather unfair on him. Taking his comment of "a crime" out of the context he used it in is somewhat unfair on allowing the reader to assume what they like. His overall message that (a) this is something the league said they wouldn't do (b) it could have been scheduled better and (c) their league position is their own fault - he is being pretty reasonable.

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
                                                That Klopp article is rather unfair on him. Taking his comment of "a crime" out of the context he used it in is somewhat unfair on allowing the reader to assume what they like. His overall message that (a) this is something the league said they wouldn't do (b) it could have been scheduled better and (c) their league position is their own fault - he is being pretty reasonable.
                                                That was my take.

Comment

Was not the conundrum that there was no other way to fit in the fixtures to suit absolutely everybody? Man Utd have one midweek fixture already next week as do Liverpool. Man Utd are then in the Europa final the mid week after. Man Utd might have this weekend free but Liverpool dont-they have a fixture with WBA to complete.

Comment

The Liverpool game against WBA could have been moved forward to slot Man U v Liverpool into the weekend. On the afternoon of the protest, when discussions were taking place, the pundits assumed this was the plan.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X