No announcement yet.

No More Harry - Premier League 2020/21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, who'll succeed Arteta? Is Hasenhuttl keen?

Comment

I think Sheffield United are doomed already. I wonder if Arsenal will flirt with relegation this year. They looked dire tonight.

Comment

Oh my God, did anyone else hear Patrice Evra's anecdote about Thierry Henry and Granit Xhaka just then?

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
          A Fulham player was saying that having fans in gave him a big lift. No fans at Leicester, but Good James Maddison has decided to make an appearance and City are 3-0 up at half time against B&HA, who carved them open twice early on but seem to have been demoralised by sparkling play from Justin and Maddison in particular.
          Leicester fully deserved the win. Brighton certainly have much to do.

Justin was great and thoroughly exposed Dan Burn.

Comment

Klopp used Champions League as an excuse even though they were already through before their midweek game.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
              Oh my God, did anyone else hear Patrice Evra's anecdote about Thierry Henry and Granit Xhaka just then?
              https://twitter.com/AFCPW/status/133...546148864?s=19

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
                Wednesday is not going to be pretty.
                Wednesday are never pretty. I'm surprised at you using the American grammar...

Comment

Arf.

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post
                    Not really. Even when we went 1-0 up, it was clear we needed another one to be safe.
                    Oh, well. Well done palace, they kept it tight and the moment Spurs started to wane, they turned up the pressure. Ndombele was on the pitch about 5 minutes too long as was Bergweijn.

Props to the Palace keeper, he kept them in the game with some good saves and a couple of great ones.

The Spurs players seem to be getting shooting tips from Bale. Good to see Kane starting to shoot again from outside the box.
                    The 'drop-off/counter-attack'-tactic is fine for certain games, but I really don't see the point in applying it every match. Spurs invited Arsenal on last weekend when it wasn't really necessary - but were at least two goals up by then. We did the same yesterday with a more precarious lead (against a much better side) and paid the price: of course, as soon as Palace equalised we started to press again and looked threatening.

Spurs really have to learn to take advantage in these games. Palace are a decent side - and Guaita had a very good match overall - but we're (supposedly) stronger and showed this at the beginning and end of the game. I totally get these tactics when playing the likes of Man City (in which it worked perfectly), but this was a very different kind of match. And it didn't work.

Liverpool looked very flawed in passages last night and obviously have injuries, but whether we can benefit here, I'm not sure.

Comment

Mourinho was a very ungracious loser tonight at Anfield, both in his comments to Klopp and his post-match interview. Spurs missed their second half chances and lost a goal to a late corner. They certainly weren't dominant at any point and were sitting deep for much of the game. If you're not willing to be the attacking side and you lose in this manner, you suck it up and move on.

I enjoyed the game and thought the quality all over the field on both sides was very impressive. Spurs are better than when they got to the CL final by quite some distance; Liverpool are feeling the pace of so many fixtures but their perseverance is still there; they keep driving forwards and maintaining intensity, and I though Mane was very good tonight, always causing problems. Liverpool still use width very well, especially down the left, as in the first goal. They can still improve so having this points cushion on Spurs and Man City puts them in a very position.
                      Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 16-12-2020, 22:28.

Comment

Insomuch as Klopp does get away with a lot on the touchline, Mourinho is probably right. As for him (Jose) being treated differently, I don't think so.

Comment

Jose Mourinho in "sore loser" shocker.

Here's Tom with the weather.

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate Leszno View Post
                            Insomuch as Klopp does get away with a lot on the touchline, Mourinho is probably right. As for him (Jose) being treated differently, I don't think so.
                            I am not sure, he quite possibly is. Same way when some guy has been the established, well-known dickhead in town everyone struggles to accept with their sudden discovery of faith.

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post

I am not sure, he quite possibly is. Same way when some guy has been the established, well-known dickhead in town everyone struggles to accept with their sudden discovery of faith.
                              Well, yes. It's Klopp's trademark lack of graciousness and humility which defined the poor behaviour on the touchline but by pointing it out Mourinho becomes the easy target bad guy.

Comment

Can you give us a bit more on this trademark lack of graciousness and humility, Tony?

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
                                  Can you give us a bit more on this trademark lack of graciousness and humility, Tony?
                                  Surely you are not suggesting that last night was a one off? Several managers (Pochettino, Lampard spring to mind) have commented about his over the top touchline antics, his constant complaining to the fourth official and his very deliberately over-exuberant goal celebrations.

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/football/ju...ehaviour-57254

Comment

I think that he is referring to the sideline histronics and berating of the officials.

Something that Mourinho tends to reserve for half-time discussions in the officials dressing room and post-match interviews. He was clearly on a windup from the moment Spurs conceded the winner and was trying to get Klopp to bite at the final whistle to set it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony C View Post

Surely you are not suggesting that last night was a one off? Several managers (Pochettino, Lampard spring to mind) have commented about his over the top touchline antics, his constant complaining to the fourth official and his very deliberately over-exuberant goal celebrations.

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/football/ju...ehaviour-57254
                                      Not suggesting anything. Just wanted to get more of a handle on what constitutes a lack of humility and etc. for you.

You’re right that he’s an arsehole to fourth officials. I don't know whether his goal celebrations are deliberately over exuberant, except in the sense that he's maybe trying to bring the crowd into it. Given that we're comparing him to Mourinho, I don't remember Klopp running down the touchline to celebrate in front of opposition fans, or shushing them. There was the running on the pitch to celebrate with Allison against Everton I suppose. But he did apologise for that afterwards, which suggests that perhaps it's not as manufactured a reaction as it appears to you.
                                      and therein lies the rub. Klopp is the sort of manager who will tell off one of his staff for charmlessly celebrating a red card.
                                      Mourinho will tell off one of his staff for not cheating. And then destroy them in the press conference after.
                                      There don't seem to be any grudges or mind games involved with Klopp. You could argue he should tone it down a bit, but it's quite good theatre if you like. (Unless you're the 4th official of course.)
                                      Look, he probably does get away with more than some people, but I suspect that's because he mainly leaves it on the pitch and it's mainly harmless. And if he goes over the top he's pretty likely to apologise not double down on it or look to blame someone else.
                                      I mean, if you're using Lampard as an example of someone complaining about Klopp, I belive this rumbling from Lampard went of for 2 or 3 weeks afterwards.
                                      Last edited by hobbes; 17-12-2020, 10:39.

Comment

Anything that winds Mourinho up is fine by me.

Comment

For all his faults at least he doesn’t go around poking opposition staff in the eye.

Comment

Despite all the strange hoo-ha about this, Mourinho's toned it down a touch since some of the shameful occurrences of the past decade or so. Last night was, however, a bit pointless and 'after the fact', IMO - regardless of whether he had a point about Klopp's touchline antics. But I certainly don't think it's worthy of banner headlines.

Like most people, I'd been waiting for this 'give the opposition 70% possession'-policy to bite us in the backside. The fact that it did so to an extent at Palace on Sunday should've been warning enough: in that game, it made no sense to me that as soon as Schlupp equalised, Spurs were on the front foot again, causing havoc. I mean, why wait to concede?

Last night's match was an altogether different affair, but there were still moments in which we should've taken the initiative. However, one of the key differences between Liverpool and ourselves is that, pretty much without fail, all their passes find the man. They seem drilled, better-focused and more organised - which will likely see them retain their crown.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                              However, one of the key differences between Liverpool and ourselves is that, pretty much without fail, all their passes find the man. They seem drilled, better-focused and more organised
                                              You didn't see them against Fulham, then. They were so wasteful in possession and gave the ball away an awful lot in midfield, although I concede a lot of that was probably down to Fulham's game plan.

Comment

Fair point. Perhaps I should've limited the observation to last night's match - in which it did impress me, I have to say.

I didn't see all of the game, but Liverpool were indeed strangely at odds against Fulham, who'd have been good value for the three points.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                                                  Anything that winds Mourinho up is fine by me.
                                                  So the way to counter Mourinho is to be just like him? You really want Klopp to be that man?

I preferred Hobbes' response.

Comment

I saw the second half and I was quite impressed with Spurs - a level of organisation and planning that I haven't really associated with them in recent years. OK, so sticking 9 behind the ball on the edge of your own penalty area is only a tactical masterclass when it comes from a BRC but I thought that Spurs were a little unlucky not to get at least a point - Kane missed two good chances and Bergewin hit the post. They looked so good and fast on the counter attack.

In the absence of any other side looking head and shoulders above the rest, I think that they have a better chance of winning something significant than they have for a long time.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X