No More Harry - Premier League 2020/21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
    Maguire was paying tribute to his favourite King Kong actress, Affray Wray.
    I think you should go away and consider just what you have done, young man.

Comment

Maybe it’s a mistranslation, but I’m now hearing that Maguire called himself ‘the leader of Manchester United’.

Suffice to say, the last English guy who described himself to police as ‘The Leader’ didn’t come out of it terribly well, either.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
        Maybe it’s a mistranslation, but I’m now hearing that Maguire called himself ‘the leader of Manchester United’.

Suffice to say, the last English guy who described himself to police as ‘The Leader’ didn’t come out of it terribly well, either.
        He didn't though, did he?

Comment

I’ve no idea. I wasn’t there.

Comment

Almost certainly not- but can we not let a man set up his Gary Glitter joke without biting his head off?

Comment

Also really doubt that Maguire would have described himself as captain of Man Utd. What player since John Terry has given a shit about being captain?

Comment

Was John Terry captain of M... oh, I see. It's late.

Comment

Originally posted by Nesta View Post
                  Almost certainly not- but can we not let a man set up his Gary Glitter joke without biting his head off?
                  Glad somebody was ‘there’! (I’ll do the song...)

Although how anybody here can speak with any degree of certainty about what ‘was’ or ‘wasn’t’ said is beyond me.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                    Glad somebody was ‘there’! (I’ll do the song...)

Although how anybody here can speak with any degree of certainty about what ‘was’ or ‘wasn’t’ said is beyond me.
                    "but I’m now hearing that..."

Quite, Soccer Saturday.

Comment

It was the set-up for a (slightly poor) joke. As I think has been well-established by now.

(I mean, Jesus wept...)

Comment

"I mean, Jesus wept..."

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
                          "I mean, Jesus wept..."

You tell us, you’re the ‘expert’ here on what did and didn’t go on.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbo McGinnis View Post

You tell us, you’re the ‘expert’ here on what did and didn’t go on.
                            With Jesus? Tough to say, it was a long time ago.

Comment

But it has been well documented...

Comment

With Jesus? Tough to say, it was a long time ago.
                                He clearly says in Matthew 17:2 “Do you know who I am, I’m the leader of the Jews, I can turn your water into wine. I can give you wine. Please let us go.”

Comment

He probably did at some point.

It's not like anyone's been sued for using the expression.

Comment

According to a mock-up in yesterday's press Jesus looked like sometime fiery NI striker Will Grigg

Comment

Comment

I actually thought Jah's gag was a John Terry gag, my mind being honed to laugh more at Chelsea than paedophilia, but really he just became a totem for thin-skinned irritation at how readily and gleefully people are accepting the police's version of events over all others. So sozard for that. I was at work, you bore the brunt, even if there wasn't much brunt to bear.

As ever with these things, the truth lies somewhere between what Maguire and Co claim, and what the police say. But it's telling that people are choosing to ignore the claims that Maguire's sister was injected with a date rape drug, and instead unblinkingly support the police's narrative. The fucking police!

I get that football fandom is partially driven by schadenfreude, and that laughing at Manchester United and England players is a national sport bigger than football, but blimey, fuck the police man.

Also, fuck privileged boorish millionaires, fuck celeb voyeurism culture, fuck embracing tribalism before common sense, fuck binning off uncritical thinking, fuck John Terry, and fuck John Terry again.

Comment

No problem, it wasn't my best work.

I took the word 'leader' as quoted from the media on somebody's Facebook page (possibly Rogin - if not, apologies). It's just one of many expressions accredited here to Maguire - a probably-unwieldy translation, so no more or less believable than any other. (But making a joke pertaining to Glitter doesn't mean that someone's mind is 'honed' to laugh at paedophilia. There was no mention of that anyway.)

I'm not going to say whether he 'did' or 'didn't' say anything - after all, how would I know? And I don't think this has much to do with schadenfreude toward Man Utd. (Certainly not from me, anyway.) A footballer who happens to play for them is in a spot of bother with the old bill. That's all that's going on here.

Comment

It was definitely Rogin. Rogin is usually to blame.

Comment

"I mean, Jesus wept..."

He did - it is the shortest verse in the Bible, after all.

Comment

Not me. I've not been posting anything remotely "factual" about the Maguire case, just things about him being on loan to HMP Mykonos and pictures of him in United's new away kit (the one with the arrows on it).

Comment

Apologies, my bad.

The gag about '$5000 bail, plus Jesse Lingard' was quite good, too, whoever came up with that.

Comment

(Can't do pound signs. Somebody please sort that?)

Comment

Working...
                                                    X