No announcement yet.

No More Harry - Premier League 2020/21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Liverpool have a stretch of 4 games in 11 days in Feb-March that Klopp won't be happy about.

But they are playing RB Salzburg in a friendly next Tuesday (Aug 25) which makes me think they are deliberately trying to lose sympathy.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post

How are the new season’s Xmas fixtures (as SP describes them) different from recent years?
      We did this before.

[url]Posts #5 to #10[\url]

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
        Liverpool ... are playing RB Salzburg in a friendly next Tuesday (Aug 25) which makes me think they are deliberately trying to lose sympathy.
        And Austria's just been added to the naughty step list of quarantine countries. I wonder if that applies to visits for the purpose of playing football.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post

We did this before.

[url]Posts #5 to #10[\url]
          Yep, without any explanation as to how it’s different. But never mind.

Comment

I was going to ask the same question. In the season just ended, Liverpool played games on Dec 26, Dec 29 and Jan 2nd. This season will be Dec 26, Dec 28* and Jan 1st, but those dates may be switched for TV. No change. Tbf it's possible that Snake's original post did not imply that the arrangement was different and we've drawn a mistaken inference. I think we've established that Xmas Eve games were the exception not the norm.

I can recall in the late 70s (22 team top flight) there being 4 games across Xmas/NY** but this season there are only three, so the program is lighter not more heavy, presumably because the BRCs lobbied for this when the league was reduced to 20 clubs. IIRC around this time the league also started to schedule League Cup semis in early January, which caused clubs to insist on a lighter Xmas load.

*The Dec 28th date needs an asterisk because the TV channels are going to move some of those games to Tues, Wed, maybe even Thurs (with the Thurs teams then playing on Sunday Jan 2nd).

**In 1982-83 Liverpool played on Dec 27, Dec 28, Jan 1 and Jan 3, then the Cup on Jan 8. This was I think because the league wanted to use both Bank Holiday Mondays - Dec 27 and Jan 3.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1982%E...ol_F.C._season
            Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 21-08-2020, 11:30.

Comment

Harry Maguire arrested over an "incident" on Mykonos - however trivial or otherwise it may be, he clearly needs to be stripped of the captaincy now.

Comment

Yes, Man United's captain enjoying the hospitality of the captain of police in Mykonos, England's captain in quarantine for 14 days, the entire Champions squad possibly having to scratch the Community Shield for quarantine reasons ... the Prem has attracted all the right headlines today alright.
                Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 21-08-2020, 13:56.

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
                  Harry Maguire arrested over an "incident" on Mykonos - however trivial or otherwise it may be, he clearly needs to be stripped of the captaincy now.
                  What? Why? There's a strong history of United captains getting arrested. Plus he allegedly slapped a policeman, so no harm done really.
                  Last edited by EIM; 21-08-2020, 14:01.

Comment

I've been reading about the incident, or peoples' views about the alleged incident, on Red Cafe. Someone posted this video ("Maguire arrested" etc.) which needs to be shared more widely:

Comment

Back in my day, Mykonos was for the gays.

Comment

The straights have ruined places all over the world now.

Comment

That video has been described by The Guardian as "perhaps the pre-eminent Australian meme of the last ten years"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democracy_Manifest

Comment

Maguire is alleged to done a bit more than a few slaps:

“There were several policemen there. At some point, one of the three members of the group – they were aged 27, 28, and 29 – threw a swing at one of the policemen and a fight ensued,” added police spokesperson Petros Vassilakis. “All of the three were arrested but during the effort to do so, the other two, including the football player, got violent also. They threw down at least two policemen, hit them with their fists and kicked them.
                            https://www.theguardian.com/football...united-england

Comment

Well, if the police say that, it must have happened.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                                I've been reading about the incident, or peoples' views about the alleged incident, on Red Cafe. Someone posted this video ("Maguire arrested" etc.) which needs to be shared more widely:

All-time classic. In our house the question "what do you want for dinner?" is more often than not met with the response "a succulent Chinese meal".

The hours just fly by, as you can imagine.

Comment

I’ve seen that before but I can’t imagine why I didn’t remember it until he was inappropriately touched. Well played NS.

Comment

So the guy getting arrested in the video wasn't Dosza apparently, according to the Wiki page on the meme to which ursus posted a link above.

Comment

Yes, it's certainly that guy Edwards. The Sportsbet video is pretty conclusive.

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
                                        Well, if the police say that, it must have happened.
                                        Innocent until proven to be a cunt. So guilty.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                          Yep, without any explanation as to how it’s different. But never mind.
                                          Post #10 was probably sufficient!

Comment

https://twitter.com/touchlinefracas/status/1296914848517967873

Comment

[URL="https://twitter.com/NotoriousManc/status/1296750095266979841"]https://twitter.com/NotoriousManc/st...50095266979841[/URL]

Comment

Lindelof saves the day for Man Utd's reputation:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/53900934

Comment

I don't know - they just can't keep away from trouble, can they?

Comment

The report fails to say if he was wearing a mask and a cape. In my mind he was.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X