No announcement yet.

No More Harry - Premier League 2020/21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would five subs have changed any of the games played so far? It seems to be unnecessary, trying to fix something not broken, not unlike VAR.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post

Genuine question here, and feel no obligation or rush to answer it, what's the misunderstanding?

As far as I can see (and I'll admit I am seeing one side of the argument only when it is quoted in replies) a poster has made a facile, or perhaps worse, remark about a player's Ghanaian surname and other posters have understandably objected.

When called out about it that poster has become aggressive and abusive in an attempt to deflect the criticism.

As an aside, I don't think you have to "deal with it" and this place is at it's best when it's self-policing. That might not always be the way but certainly in this case nobody's gone over the top in their objections to the original post.
      Agree with all of this

Comment

It amazes me that some here actually like football.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbo McGinnis View Post
          It amazes me that some here actually like football.
          Yeah? Why's that?

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post

Yeah? Why's that?
            Surely you can follow the logic. Not finding the name Fosu-Mensah inherently amusing -> not liking football

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post

Yeah? Why's that?
              There’s a lot of bad, unsavoury or otherwise stuff that football fans get up to whether it’s what is said, actions or other and I wouldn’t have expected people here to want to be associated with it at all and tarred with that brush of “football fan” which is placed upon everyone, good, bad or indifferent.

Comment

So you're not amazed that they like football, rather that they admit to liking it?

Comment

When Saturday Comes, and the fanzines it kind of built on, was built precisely on the ethos that we're not "that kind" of football fan, when before Euro 96 everyone assumed you were. That is pretty much reflected in how this board works and who's on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbo McGinnis View Post

There’s a lot of bad, unsavoury or otherwise stuff that football fans get up to whether it’s what is said, actions or other and I wouldn’t have expected people here to want to be associated with it at all and tarred with that brush of “football fan” which is placed upon everyone, good, bad or indifferent.
                    What on Earth are you talking about?

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                      Would five subs have changed any of the games played so far? It seems to be unnecessary, trying to fix something not broken, not unlike VAR.
                      I don't think it's about changing individual games so far. It's more about trying to reduce the cumulative impact of the truncated preseasons, the shortened holidays, and the compressed schedules caused by the impacts of covid 19. The second week of the season is a bit early for that. One interesting thing though was that i often had to go through a couple of games in each league to find a game where more than 3 substitutes were used, and it seemed to be fairly independent of the size of the club

Comment

I agree we need a full season before we can measure the impacts of 5 subs, and it's likely to work the same way as having deeper squads, where the inequalities kick in after Xmas.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                          I agree we need a full season before we can measure the impacts of 5 subs, and it's likely to work the same way as having deeper squads, where the inequalities kick in after Xmas.
                          I'm sure that's exactly what they're thinking in the German second tier. This does kind of look like england and wales once again rejecting concerns of health and safety, in order to keep things as they've always been.

Comment

Well at least that red card for John Egan is consistent with the one for christiansen, and closer to the original interpretation. Hopefully they stick with this and don't shit themselves the first time someone kicks up a fuss

Comment

I would pick both Egan and Lundstram today.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                                Well at least that red card for John Egan is consistent with the one for christiansen, and closer to the original interpretation. Hopefully they stick with this and don't shit themselves the first time someone kicks up a fuss
                                Christiansen rugby-tackled Mane, Egan and Villa player both grabbed one another (ok, Egan did more of grabbing).

Comment

I know the BBC are a rights holder for the PL (and that they get the bonus of live matches while they're behind closed doors) but their giddy, breathless attempts to sell this ersatz, enervated, fan-free season so far are a little desperate :

Last edited by Ray de Galles; 22-09-2020, 11:56.

Comment

I know the BBC are a rights holder for the PL (and that they get the bonus of live matches while they're behind closed doors) but their giddy, breathless attempts to sell this ersatz, enervated, fan-free season so far is are a little desperate :

In fairness I think the context is that this is the highest number of goals in a round of Premier League games ever.

Comment

Originally posted by gintsr View Post

Christiansen rugby-tackled Mane, Egan and Villa player both grabbed one another (ok, Egan did more of grabbing).
                                      Thing is Christiansen and egan got sent off for denial of a goalscoring opportunity, not the nature of his foul. If he'd 'accidentally' run into the back of his legs he would have been sent off just as quickly. The thing that struck me was that in previous seasons, referees would have taken refuge in mane not being in control of the ball, or the keeper getting to the ball first (and not taken into account that this had a lot to do with the player lying face down on the ground) and only given out a yellow card. you'd also see this in charitable interpretations of their being a covering defender, who again could only have got to the ball if the attacker was again lying face down in the grass. If you go back to the first couple of seasons of this rule change, you would have had incidents like tonight, but they tightened it up from denial of a goalscoring opportunity to denial of a certain goal, which is a very different thing entirely. And it started to include things like "Has to be in possession of the ball." or " Has to be moving towards the goal" and then the thing about "covering defenders." The thing is that I'm not sure it should matter if Mane was going to get to the ball or not, or whether or not he was going towards goal, christiansen didn't know that when he decided to rugby tackle him. You're trying to stop the cynicism. Or at least make players aware that their decision is going to have predictable consequences.

I can't find a video of it, but one of the most memorable counter examples I can think of is Jamie Carragher chopping down michael Owen (Man utd) on the halfway line as he chased a pass in behind, and he only got a yellow card. I think that's nearly 10 years ago, and we've seen too many goals from that situation for people to be still getting away with it.
                                      Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 21-09-2020, 22:00.

Comment

I know the BBC are a rights holder for the PL (and that they get the bonus of live matches while they're behind closed doors) but their giddy, breathless attempts to sell this ersatz, enervated, fan-free season so far is are a little desperate :

Appreciate this is wandering off topic a bit, but whenever the Beeb need to make cuts it continually surprises me that the sprawling BBC Sport website never seems to get mentioned. Limp cheerleading articles like those aren't unique content, don't really add anything to our sum of knowledge and can be found on plenty of other sites that have to rely on advertising.

Comment

Originally posted by That Night In Barcelona View Post

In fairness I think the context is that this is the highest number of goals in a round of Premier League games ever.
                                          I'm aware of that but, come on, does anyone really think that there's just been "the most entertaining weekend in Premier League history" given the lifeless, flat atmosphere in the grounds? The article doesn't even reference the lack of supporters, it's trying far too hard to bark up a substandard product.

Comment

I see Sky Sports News/SkyBet are up to their old tricks around the transfer market again. This time it’s Rhian Brewster to Palace that’s been backed into odds on despite Palace’s denial.

Comment

Seeing as I find the lack of supporters in the ground an irrelevance from a TV watching perspective (I mute the sound when they add ‘crowd noise’), for me it would come down how the games themselves went. But not necessarily as simple as most goals = most entertaining, mind. It was a very good round of games, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                                                Seeing as I find the lack of supporters in the ground an irrelevance from a TV watching perspective
                                                wow, really? I can't be done with it. It just looks like training to me,

Comment

Yeah, I've tried a few times, and it's shit. Mind you, football on telly is a pretty rotten simulacram at the best of times.

Comment

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54142832

I wouldn't come out here and mug myself off

Sorry, Chris, what? In English please?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X