A Gulf in class - Ligue 1 2020-21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Gulf in class - Ligue 1 2020-21

As well as the Qataris at PSG, the Bahraini royal family has now taken a 20% stake in Ligue 2 Paris FC:

https://twitter.com/ParisFC/status/1287810680423424000

As for the season itself, 5,000 spectators will be allowed into each league match for the foreseeable future, but a number of covid cases have forced the cancellation of a number of friendlies. Marseille seem to remain the most probable opposition to the Parc des Princes juggernaut under Villas-Boas, with Thauvin highly-influential, while Lyon can only improve on their league displays. Lens make a welcome return after a nine year absence, while Lorient also come back to the division.

The PFC situation is complicated

https://www.getfootballnewsfrance.co...ll-this-about/

Comment

Looks like someone trying to prevent the Qatari's from changing the club's name to paris.

Comment

Looks like the season will begin with a whimper - scoreless between Bordeaux and Nantes with just five minutes remaining. Curious description of the game as a "derby" by the BT commentator, given neither club is remotely near the other, and even the regions have no real antagonism.

Comment

Guide to French TV rights - not quite at Sky/BT premiums yet, but pricey enough.

Comment

I'm watching Lorient - Racing Strabourg and though I guess that they have concentrated their allowed quota of spectators in the stand opposite the main camera, the crowd does not look much more sparse than would be usual during the August holidays.

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
              Looks like the season will begin with a whimper - scoreless between Bordeaux and Nantes with just five minutes remaining. Curious description of the game as a "derby" by the BT commentator, given neither club is remotely near the other, and even the regions have no real antagonism.
              Apparently the rivalry between Nantes and Bordeaux is a thing and styled as the Derby de l'Atlantique. However Nantes do reserve most of their antipathy towards Rennes.

Comment

So Ligue 2 is being broadcast (via paid subscription) by Telefoot - a broadband company who bought the rights to the name of old French TV show Telefoot. Anyway after much sleuthing I found someone who was broadcasting their broadband subscription game and got to watch Rodez batter Grenoble 1-0 :-) It was great to hear real fans in the background. For others who can't afford a Ligue 1 TV broadcast in the States :-) the highlights of the weekend Ligue 1& 2 games are on YouTube pretty quickly. Never miss a goal.

Comment

The few Monaco fans booing their team (loudly) after going 1-0 down at home after 5 mins vs Reims was hilarious,even better when they went 2-0 down, Kovac will have to get wins quickly and often.

Comment

Mediapro (which is the broadcaster using Telefoot) also has the large majority of Ligue 1 matches in France (those are still on BeIN in the US).

Comment

Correct - the broadband company is not Telefoot -my fogged brain. BEIN will cost me $15 a month My cable bill is already stupid. Ivan stream BEIN from my phone using an app for free though... but of course I cannot record.

Comment

I'm somewhat surprised that the there hasn't been more outrage among French traditionalists about the appropriation of Telefoot.

It is roughly equivalent to Sky having bought the rights to "Match of the Day" or Rogers buying the original theme tune to Hockey Night in Canada (which happened).

I will have to re-evaluate my BeIN subscription now that they no longer have la Liga. The Turkish league isn't enough to keep me (though the African Champions League and CAN have real value to me).
                        Last edited by ursus arctos; 26-08-2020, 02:02.

Comment

Originally posted by Exiled off Main Street View Post
                          Correct - the broadband company is not Telefoot -my fogged brain. BEIN will cost me $15 a month My cable bill is already stupid. Ivan stream BEIN from my phone using an app for free though... but of course I cannot record.
                          I had the World Sports package on Sling. It was cheaper than $15/month. I think I paid $45 for 12 months and then renewed at $60 for 12. But they let me cancel when BeIN showed that dipping into the archives was not an option during COVID stoppages. They showed non-stop Realcelona and PSG. That world package now includes stations from Brazil as well. I'll sign up again when CONMEBOL competitions return.

Comment

Lens v PSG is being played only 48 hours after the Tuesday, 8 September, Nations League games for some reason.

Comment

Dijon did take an early lead at the New Gerland, but Lyon pressure finally overwhelmed the visitors (with the assistance of two penalties), and a Depay hat-trick sees OL lead 4-1, with 20 minutes remaining.

Comment

That 17yr old lad Camavinga from Rennes how long before a) Barcelona b) Real Madrid c) Man City d) Chelsea or e) PSG offer stupid money ? He looks good though.

Comment

Originally posted by Exiled off Main Street View Post
                                  That 17yr old lad Camavinga from Rennes how long before a) Barcelona b) Real Madrid c) Man City d) Chelsea or e) PSG offer stupid money ? He looks good though.
                                  These days, generally only one season before they get whipped away, and he largely inspired their Champions League push last season, so end of September probably.

Comment

They have all been tracking him for a while now.

Comment

PSG, with numerous COVID absentees, lost at Lens tonight; they play Marseille next, on Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                        PSG, with numerous COVID absentees, lost at Lens tonight; they play Marseille next, on Sunday.
                                        Allez les sang et or!
                                        worth looking at the table to see how far it’s necessary to scroll to find PSG. Enjoy it while you can.

Comment

Originally posted by Felicity, I guess so View Post

Allez les sang et or!
                                          worth looking at the table to see how far it’s necessary to scroll to find PSG. Enjoy it while you can.
                                          At least until mid-week, as OM lead 1-0 deep into injury-time in le classique.

Comment

It's all kicking off now! Both sides down to nine.

Comment

And now Neymar sent off for a rabbit punch.

Comment

Neymar is so classless. How does this match warrant Le Classique title? PSG are a trillionaires plaything and Marseilles have done very little over the past couple of decades.

Comment

Neymar is reported as saying he was racially abused prior to the punch and red card.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X