Least Deserving European Cup Winner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Least Deserving European Cup Winner

The two European Cups that seem most tainted are Bayern in 1975 (disgraceful ref) and Marseilles in 1993 (bribery). Which others should join the list? Real Madrid doing a job on Liverpool's keeper two years ago may qualify for some.
    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 12-08-2020, 17:38.

Disagree on Real beating Liverpool due to an accidental collision makes them undeserving. This was the middle of three straight wins of the competition.

The AC Milan v Juve winner from the game played at Old Trafford in about 2002/2003. I still remember being utterly bored throughout that game.

Comment

That was indeed a terrible final that brought back memories of the dross that appeared regularly during the 80s ban, but it wasn't as if either team deserved to win more than the other.

Dundee United supporters insist that they were cheated out of a chance to face Liverpool in 1984. See also Derby County-Juventus in 1973 and Nottingham Forest-Anderlecht in the 1984 UEFA Cup. There is significant merit to each of those cases.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
        That was indeed a terrible final that brought back memories of the dross that appeared regularly during the 80s ban, but it wasn't as if either team deserved to win more than the other.

Dundee United supporters insist that they were cheated out of a chance to face Liverpool in 1984. See also Derby County-Juventus in 1973 and Nottingham Forest-Anderlecht in the 1984 UEFA Cup. There is significant merit to each of those cases.
        I am guessing this is why thread is & should be concentrating exclusively on the finals themselves. Juventus ultimately didnt win European Cup in 1973 whatever the semi-final chicanery. Nor did Anderlect in 1984. Ajax triumph in 1973 cant be tainted by fact not playing Derby. Ditto Spurs in 1984.

Comment

I'd go with the 2014 Real Madrid winners, even if they dominated extra-time after the last-gasp leveller.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbo McGinnis View Post
            Disagree on Real beating Liverpool due to an accidental collision makes them undeserving. This was the middle of three straight wins of the competition.

The AC Milan v Juve winner from the game played at Old Trafford in about 2002/2003. I still remember being utterly bored throughout that game.
            There are a couple of similar examples of that 2003 final. Steau Bucharest & Red Star Belgrade say. But that different to calling least deserving just because nobody tried to win a game once had reached a final.

In other words repeating what ursos has already said.

Comment

Originally posted by ale View Post

There are a couple of similar examples of that 2003 final. Steau Bucharest & Red Star Belgrade say. But that different to calling least deserving just because nobody tried to win a game once had reached a final.

In other words repeating what ursos has already said.
              Did Steaua park the bus during that final, or were the chances fairly even?

Comment

And as European Cup has now been extended beyond that tournament the AC Milan v Leeds ECWC final in 1973 must be up there.

Comment

Although I was obviously disappointed by the result, I thought Steaua were deserving winners. Barcelona failed to take their chances and were useless at penalties.

Red Star certainly did play as well as they could have, but still strike me as a strange candidate given how OM got to the final.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbo McGinnis View Post
                    It seems to have been quickly forgotten just how bad the 2019 final was. A more putrid, fecund 90 minutes it would be hard to find.

Comment

Working...
                    X