Celtic clubs in European group stages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Celtic clubs in European group stages

With Rennes now featuring in the CL groups, it highlights the significant over-achievement by Breton clubs on the continental stage:

Rennes: 2005-06, 2007-08, 2011-12, 2014-15, 2018-19 (UEFA Cup/Europa League)
    FC Nantes: 1995-96, 2001-02(Champions League)
    En Avant de Guingamp 2014-15
    Swansea City: 2013-14 (Europa League)
    Dundalk FC: 2016-17 (Europa League)
    Shamrock Rovers: 2011-12 (Europa League)
    Celtic F.C. : 2001-02, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2006-07, 2007-08, 2012-13, 2013-14, 2016-17, 2017-18 (Champions League), 2009-10, 2011-12, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2019-20 (Europa League)
    Rangers F.C. : 1992-93, 1995-96, 1996-97, 1999-2000, 2000-2001, 2003-04, 2005-06, 2007-08, 2009-10, 2010-11 (Champions League), 2004-05, 2006-07, 2018-19, 2019-20 (Europa League)
    Aberdeen FC: 2007-08 (Europa League)
    Hearts: 2004-05 (Europa League)

​​​

Would either Rangers or Hearts self-identify as "Celtic"?

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
      Would either Rangers or Hearts self-identify as "Celtic"?
      Loving the idea of Rangers saying that.

Comment

Definitely not, but just throwing in all clubs coming from areas generally considered Celtic, so if Truro City ever make a Wimbledon-style surge, they're in, but no evidence that Galicia ever really was such.

Comment

Given that they've got 6 leagues to potentially qualify from, I'd say they've done quite badly.

Comment

I'm at least half-Cornish by ancestry (my mum's family moved to London in the late 19th century when he tin mines started to close, whilst my dad's is from Devon & Dorset), but I'd never even stopped to consider that I might have a bit of celt in me, though I doubt the redness that my beard used to take on before I turned into Captain Birdseye's dissolute younger brother is proof.

I guess the nearest Cornwall ever got to European glory was Home Park playing host to Manchester United in 1977. Plymouth's not *that* far from Cornwall.

Comment

What's the cut off in all these? Competitions that had a group stage?

Comment

And I presume we're not including Pannonia and Thrace

Comment

I think Galatasaray, and pretty much any club from Galicia or indeed Portugal, will be pissed off not to be included here.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                    What's the cut off in all these? Competitions that had a group stage?
                    Current competitions with a group stage - Nantes, in particular and otherwise, would have been in the Intertoto virtually every season in the Nineties.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                      I think Galatasaray, and pretty much any club from Galicia or indeed Portugal, will be pissed off not to be included here.
                      Any Celtic connection seems to have died in Roman times, much though Celta and Deportivo would enrich this thread, but for completeness:

Celta de Vigo: 2003-04 (Champions League), 2006-07, 2016-17 (Europa League)
                      Deportivo la Coruna: 2000-01, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05 (Champions League), 2008-09 (Europa League).
                      Last edited by Diable Rouge; 12-08-2020, 17:20.

Comment

I reckon I could make a very strong case that the Boro (and Man U, Bolton, Liverpool etc.) are more a more a Celtic club than Rangers.

And Dundee United might feel left out too.

Comment

No groups back then, innit.

Comment

Well, you can scratch off Dundee United, but I am still having the others.

Comment

Northern Ireland's team badge includes a Celtic Cross

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
                                Northern Ireland's team badge includes a Celtic Cross
                                NAZIES!!!!

Comment

More's the pity that Linfield lost in the play-off last season.

Comment

Seriously though, how have the fash come to appropriate the celtic cross?

Is it from the Aryan Knights myths and descendency, or something else?
                                    ​​​​

Comment

Apparently, it was first used by Norwegian Nazis, before the Italians then adopted it.

Comment

Ooh, do Saxons. Or Aryans.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
                                          Seriously though, how have the fash come to appropriate the celtic cross?

Is it from the Aryan Knights myths and descendency, or something else?
                                          ​​​​
                                          Fr Seamus Fitzpatrick in Are You Right There Father Ted?

Comment

Working...
                                          X