Coaches Receiving Yellow and Red Cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coaches Receiving Yellow and Red Cards

Sarri received a yellow card in last night's CL exit. I was wondering what was the earliest case of a coach being carded by a ref. I don't recall it happening before 1990s.

Also, feel free to post the most amusing examples; and/or cases where you were amazed the coach was not sent to the stands.

Was a card for a coach/manager a thing before about a year or so ago? I genuinely don’t think it was, though I could be wrong. I can remember coaches being sent from the touchline in the last ten or so years but only in the last year or two that they were actually shown a card when told to leave the touchline.

On a related note, does an accumulation of yellow cards for a coach lead to a ban, as it would a player who picks up five or do they get investigated for their behaviour regardless of how many cards or the colour of them?

Comment

May have told the story before, but anyway... John McGinlay, Bolton and Scotland legend, turns up at Gresley Rovers as player-manager. Names himself on the bench. I can't remember who we were playing, for some reason I think Shepshed Dynamo. Their right back spent seventy five minutes or so kicking our young winger Matt Moran, before McGinlay brought himself on to replace him. Within a minute the ball goes to the right back and McGinlay kicks him about three feet in the air, then when he lands, does it again. Yellow card, instant hero. Of course he rather spoiled things by departing at the first opportunity for moneybags Ilkeston Town, but even so.

Comment

Refs actually showing cards to coaches rather than verbally warning them or sending them from the bench was a law change as of last summer. imp posted about it (in favour) on his refereeing thread. The first such card was presumably somewhere in the world early last June.

Comment

Guardiola got the first yellow for a Premier League manager in the 2019 Community Shield, though they had been trialed the season before in the Football League and the cups.

https://talksport.com/football/58222...ield-liverpool

Before that, ejections were indicated by pointing

Comment

Following in his mentor's footsteps, Mikel Arteta became the first manager to be yellow carded in an FA Cup final last weekend, for an innocuous bit of touchline argy-bargy.

If a player-manager substitute is carded as a manager, and then brings himself on, does he bring the card with him?

Comment

Derek Adams (Plymouth) and Chris Powell (Southend) were the first Football League managers shown red cards in August 2018.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post

If a player-manager substitute is carded as a manager, and then brings himself on, does he bring the card with him?
                That is a fantastic question. I'd guess at a yes, but I have no idea. I'm looking forward to imp reading this thread so I can find out.

Comment

I say yes too - a regular sub booked from the bench is still carded if they come on, so it'd be a bit odd for a player-manager to be an exception. If a player-manager sub was red-carded they couldn't then sub themselves on, so following the same logic the yellow card surely carries on to the pitch too - although IANAR...

Comment

And by the same token, if our player manager starts, but is then sent off, can he change into his suit and go back on the touchline?
                    What did Souness do?

Comment

For player/managers named as a sub, what Gawpus said. They are a sub like all the others, and would carry that YC onto the pitch with them. As for my fellow Iron fans question, any player, sub or substituted player who is sent off must leave the vicinity of the field of play and the technical area.

Comment

This game against Chessington & Hook United in April 2004 saw not only our manager but also our physio sent from the bench, with our club secretary being booked during half time as well. That's on top of the five bookings and four sendings-off shared out among the players.

Wasn't a dirty match by any stretch.

Comment

As that match report alludes to, sending off a member of the coaching staff in non-league isn't a case of "being sent to the stands" because there often aren't any.

I once saw a manager sent off at Met Police and all it meant was he stood 8 inches further back behind a low wall. It actually increased his presence in the game as he was freed from the requirement to stay within his technical area so roamed up and down the touchline shouting instructions to his players and admonishing the ref.

Comment

That Chess & Hook game ended up with us walking out of the boardroom after the game as a result of the home side chairman's racism.

Comment

I've always thought Chalky Lane was a worryingly Jim Davidsonesque name for a ground.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                                And by the same token, if our player manager starts, but is then sent off, can he change into his suit and go back on the touchline?
                                What did Souness do?
                                A Hibs pal of mine was at the famous game where Sounness was sent off as player-manager. Apparently he just came up in the Main Stand among all the Hibs fans, still in his full kit, and sat on the stairs pretty much next to my friend to watch. She didn't say whether a steward tried to move him on, as would certainly have been the case for any mere mortals adopting that viewing position.

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post

That is a fantastic question. I'd guess at a yes, but I have no idea. I'm looking forward to imp reading this thread so I can find out.
                                  Yep, as Bermuda Iron confirms. This is a fairly regular question in our online exams.

Comment

Working...
                                  X