Put your cap on - salary cap in League One and Two

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
    Can they get around that with "bonuses" or payments to a spouse or agent?
    Or just employ them as "Insurance Agents" in local companies like Gloucester used to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post

All the teams being franchises of the game itself must change the equation somewhat too, or is that just the NFL?
      I'm not sure that I understand how you are using franchise here.

All North American professional professional sports are closed shops in which new club owners (whether via transfer of ownership of an existing club or "expansion") must be approved by the league (effectively the other owners). However, the much more common arrangement is for the clubs/franchises to be owned by individuals or small groups. MLS began with a "single entity" structure where clubs were owned by the league, but is moving away from that, while other leagues only will take a franchise/club into common ownership in a time of crisis and look to dispose of it to a "proper owner" as soon as possible.

While egregious violations of a salary cap could be sanctioned by a forfeiture or forced sale of a club/franchise, there has to be a case that came anywhere close to that.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
        Can they get around that with "bonuses" or payments to a spouse or agent?
        If the EFL are too dumb to look at other leagues and sports and incorporate rules for the various getarounds that have been used, then they really aren't serious about this.

Comment

If players are on a multi-year salary cap contract in League One what happens if the club gets promoted to the championship?

Comment

I can't imagine there is a single agent out there who hasn't insisted on a renegotiation clause following promotion even without a salary cap. They'd be piss poor agents if they hadn't.

Comment

True.

Comment

The proposed sanction is a pound-for-pound fine. I think that's what I read.

Pompey and Sunderland are very cross. Diddums.

What I couldn't tell from what was put out was if the transitional arrangements re: relegated clubs from the championship would continue for ever or not. Seems reasonable to say "these are new rules, so clubs relegated this season get a workaround". But not in three years' time.

Comment

The sop to the PFA (who still opposed it) was that contracts signed in the Championship won't count as breaching the salary cap in League One. Nobody mentioned a time limit.

It may mean clubs find it hard to sign players though because presumably the salary cap will have been reached. For example a club comes down with a ?5 million wage bill. They've hit the cap. Some players leave and their wage bill comes down to ?3 million. I don't think that would give them ?2 million to spend.

Comment

Oxford seem to have spent the days since the cap was imposed signing a host of (well, 3) players who are 21 and under, and thus not included under the salary cap. Not really sure why they have that exclusion tbh.

Comment

Working...
                    X