Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Put your cap on - salary cap in League One and Two

Breaking news. Voted in favour of.

The devil - and the workarounds - will be in the details, as ever.

Comment

Originally posted by The BBC Website
      Clubs in League One and League Two have voted in favour of introducing a salary cap, taking effect immediately.

Limits have been set at ?2.5m and ?1.5m for the respective divisions.

Wages, bonuses, taxes and image rights, plus agents' and other relevant fees, will be included within the cap but bonuses gained from promotion or progression in cups will be exempt.

Clubs will be fined or face further sanctions if they exceed the spending limits.
      TBH I'm in favour of this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53696424

Comment

Sorry, did someone say something? Couldn't hear for the sound of bolting horses and stable doors being shut.

Comment

I'd be in favour of it if I could hear myself think over all the calls to accountants trying to find loopholes.

Comment

Couldn't a star striker be given a flat salary, then he could start a limited company called Johnny Jones Ltd (if that's his name) and he could offer "football consultancy services" to the club.
            Or the club could employ members of the player's family in various capacities...

Comment

I think one of the issues that got Saracens in hot water was "investing" in businesses owned by players.

Comment

It was

All of these issues have been solved in the North American sports that have caps (all of the major team sports do, though their form and degree of flex differs considerably).

It can be done if there is a will to do so and applicable competition/restraint of trade law does not get in the way. The law isn't a problem in North America because the caps are part of the collective bargaining agreements concluded between the clubs and the relevant players' unions. In NA, players' unions serve as genuine collective bargaining units.

Comment

The PFA have described is as "unlawful and unenforcable".

One of those things is not like the other.

Comment

Look at the suggested figures - ?1.5m for League Two, ?2.5m for League One and then a huge leap to ?18-?20m for the Championship - and there's your main problem, right there. Until redistribution is properly addressed, then this is going to feel a little like a titanic deckchair shuffling exercise. However plausible the proposal is.

Will be interesting to see how clubs such as Salford respond.

Comment

Carlisle's CEO has said:

The club considered the new proposals in detail very carefully and finally, on balance, we voted to support the proposals, and we are pleased to see them adopted.

"We did favour stronger measures than those that have gone forward to deal with the problems. The changes are by no means perfect and I personally have some serious concerns.

"They must be only the first small step and be quickly followed by much bigger strides to address the sustainability of spending, even at this permitted level.”

In terms of the impact on Carlisle United, he explained: “The ?1.5m cap will not affect us in 20/21.

"It is well above what we can afford, even before Covid. If we increased our spending up to this cap, even in a normal year, it would worsen our position by increasing our current losses and it would be unaffordable.

The rules are technical as to what is included in the ?1.5m, in terms of what you are allowed to continue to spend that doesn’t count at all in the total, also in relation to the transition from the old rules to the new regulations we have now voted on.

"The exceptions are significant and will change how clubs operate to gain best advantage from them – we have already seen this in the run up to this vote. The side effects on recruitment may surprise people – this won't just impact on spending levels.”

Comment

This is really going to piss off the $alford football club.

Comment

The cynical part of me wonders if this is why Bolton went balls deep on their spending so early.

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate Leszno View Post
                            The cynical part of me wonders if this is why Bolton went balls deep on their spending so early.
                            Could be, although the fact we had barely any players was probably the main driving force.

Comment

Not having the PFA onside could be a problem. But they don't strike me as being proactive in calls for reform of the game.

Comment

What would be the sanctions if caps were breached? Points deductions? What sanctions are applied in the US?

Comment

Mostly massive fines (potentially hundreds of millions of USD) and the loss of draft picks.

But the real enforcement in North America comes from the fact that the clubs see themselves as a closed shop and recognise that the caps are there to ensure that they all make money.

Comment

Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post
                                    Look at the suggested figures - ?1.5m for League Two, ?2.5m for League One and then a huge leap to ?18-?20m for the Championship - and there's your main problem, right there. Until redistribution is properly addressed, then this is going to feel a little like a titanic deckchair shuffling exercise. However plausible the proposal is.

Will be interesting to see how clubs such as Salford respond.
                                    Yeah - this. Exactly this. It's solving (or addressing, at any rate) *a* problem, but it's actively avoiding the real problem.

Comment

I’m absolutely not against the idea but how do teams relegated from the Championship comply? Or teams promoted who are found in breach?

Salary caps don’t even always work in closed shops (Saracens, half of British ice hockey and I’m sure there were instances in rugby league). A move towards ensuring financial stability is always a good thing but there are a lot of problems to be ironed out.

Comment

There are exceptions for existing contracts of clubs who come down from the Championship.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                          Mostly massive fines (potentially hundreds of millions of USD) and the loss of draft picks.

But the real enforcement in North America comes from the fact that the clubs see themselves as a closed shop and recognise that the caps are there to ensure that they all make money.
                                          All the teams being franchises of the game itself must change the equation somewhat too, or is that just the NFL?

Comment

Originally posted by Exiled off Main Street View Post
                                            This is really going to piss off the $alford football club.
                                            I can't see Sunderland and Portsmouth being overjoyed, either

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                              There are exceptions for existing contracts of clubs who come down from the Championship.
                                              So if you're in the bottom three, get all your most costly players signed up before the deadline.

Comment

If you’re in the bottom three it’s probably better to let them go. They’re clearly not helping.

Mention if Sunderland reminds me that Jack Rodwell’s contract would breach the entire proposed salary cap on its own.

Comment

Can they get around that with "bonuses" or payments to a spouse or agent?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X