Hollerbach's Geisterspielwurst - Bundesliga 20/21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tony C View Post
    12 games in and Schalke sack their second coach of the season as Manuel Baum gets the boot.
    Probably time for a root and branch reorganisation.

I'll get me mantel.

Comment

Schalke have appointed Christian Gross.

Comment

Dragged out of retirement. It's an ... imaginative ... choice. I can't help thinking that, if you had to get a retiree out of bed, Peter Neururer would have been the obvious choice.

Gross' contract tells you a few things about where Schalke are at. Reportedly, he is on a "very low" salary, with a bonus in seven digits if he saves Schalke from relegation. The club clearly has little hope that they'll stay up.

Comment

I can only imagine it was to stop the Mags getting him first.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
            Schalke have appointed Christian Gross.
            I pondered starting an "Oh, is he still managing?!" thread on hearing the news.

Comment

Stevens back in by end February to oversee the transition to zweite Liga.

Comment

Heidel now back at Mainz as a board member with the proviso that he doesn't have to work as hard as he used to - his stroke last year gave him something to think about. He also hesitated because he now lives on Mallorca with his partner, and their daughter is settled there at school.

Former coach Martin Schmidt returns as director of sport - their joint task is to find a new coach to replace Jan-Moritz Lichte, fired yesterday. Mainz's cup defeat last week was a classic - at home to second division Bochum, they threw away a 2-0 lead, with the equaliser coming in the 94th. minute, and then couldn't take advantage in extra-time when Bochum were reduced to ten men. They then missed all three spot-kicks in the penalty shootout as Bochum converted all theirs.

Comment

I wondered a few years back if Schmidt would be next up at Dortmund after Tuchel left but he really did not pan out well there. I'm surprised they brought him back. Maybe they could lure Tuchel on a half-season deal so he could then be available to some big money side in the off-season. I thought he was great for Dortmund but egos seemed to clash.

Comment

I cannot imagine Tuchel doing that. You don't step down when you want to at least move laterally. I imagine Tuchel might move to Arsenal or Chelsea next season. They won't want the guy who couldn't keep Mainz 05 up.

Comment

Yeah, needed a wink emoji for that Tuchel comment.

Comment

Dortmund beat Wolfsburg 2-0. I'm happy with the win but Dortmund still look sluggish. The last 10-12 minutes was all Wolfsburg and they missed a lot of good chances, but around the 90th minute or into injury time Dortmund executed a wonderful counter attack. Sancho had the defenders looking like fools and finally scored his first league goal of the season. That stat alone says something about Dortmund's lack of goals of late.

Comment

Pity about St Pauli this season.

Comment

RB-Dortmund was not living up to the talent level in the first half, but Dortmund came out flying in the second. Sancho adds to last week's goal and then Haaland had 2. It was still a bit too tight after Dortmund scored their first. Those are the kinds of leads that have slipped away on them. RB scored very late but the game was done by then. I'll be curious to see if this win provides the push needed to get back to early season form.

Comment

Tsk, you and your Dortmund. Story of the weekend was 19-year-old US stripling Matthew Hoppe's stunning hat-trick for Schalke in 21 minutes (as many goals as Schalke's 2020 top scorer Weston McKennie got all year long) - thus staving off the history-equalling 31-game winless Bundesliga run of Tasmania Berlin as they humped hopeless Hoffenheim 4-0. His first ever goals, after scoring just one in 16 games for Schalke's reserves. Only called up because Schalke's broke, and apparently out of his depth in his first four games. Sort of thing that makes you think football's not such a cynical, sickening thing after all.

Speaking of which, I'll leave it to G-Man to analyse Koeln's 5-0 thrashing at Freiburg. Bielefeld dominated and beat Hertha BSC (Big Shitty Club) and leapt over the woeful koelsch-quaffers and out of the relegation zone. Eintracht made it three wins in a row and won at bogey-team Mainz for the first time ever in the top flight. FSV Frankfurt won again and are inexplicably top of the Regionalliga Sued-West, the first time they've been anywhere near the top of anything since I moved back here six years ago. All in all, ein fantastisches Wochenende, liebe Fussballfreunde.

Comment

Niche question: the other day on The Guardian's Football Weekly pod it was stated that all 4th tier and below football in Germany has been suspended, apart from one 4th tier division.

Which division is this?

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                  Niche question: the other day on The Guardian's Football Weekly pod it was stated that all 4th tier and below football in Germany has been suspended, apart from one 4th tier division.

Which division is this?
                                  From what imp said in the previous post, the Regionalliga Sued-West presumably.

Comment

Of the five Regionaligen, only the West and the Sued-West are playing right now. The other three are suspended, as are all (I think) of the leagues below them, starting with the Oberligen

Here is an English article from Deutsche Welle from November (soon after the suspensions)
                                    https://www.dw.com/en/future-of-germ...ear/a-55632160

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
                                      Speaking of which, I'll leave it to G-Man to analyse Koeln's 5-0 thrashing at Freiburg.
                                      Gisdol said that his players "gave their best". After losing 5-0, with not a single chance created. "Ein Offenbarungseid", as they say in German. Who's free to replace him. I don't suppose Favre fancies a fireman job?

Comment

For all you fanatical Regionalligistas out there - Suedwest and West have just resumed after the winter break. Nord has split into two regional divisions, but has yet to set a date for its re-start. Nordost is in its winter break until January 31. Bayern is still in winter break until February 23, and is also still completing its 2019-20 season, but without anointed champions Turkgucu Muenchen, who were promoted to the third division in summer. All the Bayern amateur leagues did the same thing - this might eventually serve them well as they could finish off last season by the end of this, if amateur play resumes on time. As ua says, all other leagues below the Regionalliga are still suspended, with little prospect of resuming given the current Covid numbers.

I've probably mentioned it on here a few times, or on my reffing blog, but no fucker paid more than lip service to the Covid rules when amateur play resumed in summer, and the second suspension of play was inevitable. There's really no point in resuming it until this thing's over and done with.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post

Who's free to replace him. I don't suppose Favre fancies a fireman job?
                                          Der nette Herr Slomka.

Or Peter Neururer.

Comment

Funkl? Or just wait until Labbadia gets fired by Hertha.

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
                                              Funkl? Or just wait until Labbadia gets fired by Hertha.
                                              Yes, but if Cologne beat Hertha at the weekend, der schoene Bruno'll lose his job whereas Gisdol will keep his.

No, I reckon Labbadia's next port of call for a fat severance-pay cheque will be your mob in Bielefeld.

Comment

Don't think Bielefeld has enough cash to fire Neuhaus. I'm hoping they hang on to him, even if they go down. After all, they've conceded the same number of goals as European champions Bayern this season (even if they've scored 36 fewer).

Comment

Bruno turned down our lot after Beierlorzer was fired, because he had ambitions. Which he obviously has fulfilled at Hertha.

What's the deal with David Wagner. Did he luck out at Huddersfield, giving him in a reputation of a Bargain Klopp? His record at Schalke is weird: great first half of the season, utterly disastrous second half which destroyed the team for this season. Or was he just unlucky?

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
                                                    Bruno turned down our lot after Beierlorzer was fired, because he had ambitions. Which he obviously has fulfilled at Hertha.
                                                    My biggest fear last season wasn't that Werder would go down, but that they'd sack Kohfeldt and then get Labbadia in to do his Red Adair thing.

I seriously believe there's a gentlemen's agreement between all Bundesliga teams (apart from Bayern and Dortmund) stipulating that everybody has to employ Bruno at least once. A bit like families agreeing to take turns at having Onkel Kalle for Christmas because the individual members can't afford to buy a new settee every year after he's pissed himself on it.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X