X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bloods on the carpet

Droylsden have resigned from all competitions

http://droylsdenfootballclub.com/new...-competitions/

Sadly I don't think they'll be the only ones. If the rules change to allow even c300 fans in, a bit like they trialled at the snooker, would that be enough for clubs at this level?

Comment

The second lockdown must have hit quite hard in areas that have gone back into lockdown.
      Last edited by Jumbo McGinnis; 06-08-2020, 11:39.

Comment

I wouldn't trust Dave Pace at all.

Comment

Why wouldn't you trust a builder who forgot to pay the clubs VAT for ten years?

Comment

My Name Is Ian is asking some very apposite questions about ground ownership on twitter, it appears Steven Vaughan may still be involved.

I don't know too much about this news from Droylesden and C19 is certainly going to impact harshly on many clubs but some are going to use it as cover to pull stunts, a la Wigan.

Comment

Elsewhere, FC Romania’s manager/chairman has quit, posting a statement drafted in notes on his iPhone, and it remains unclear whether it’s the end of the road for them as a club.
              Last edited by Jumbo McGinnis; 06-08-2020, 12:34.

Comment

I'm pretty upset with this. Went to see the Bloods before I even went to Maine Road. Tough times for a club of such limited means I suppose, but sad nontheless although a bit of gloating at Dave Pace's expense is an inevitable consequence. Doubt very much they will recover from this.

Anyway, for old times' sake here's a piece I wrote for WSC (reproduced in Punk Football) about my beloved Bloods nearly ten years ago. Much happier and more successful times, of course, but they still had a problem with lack of profile which blighted them to the end.
                http://punkfootball.blogspot.com/201...media.html?m=0

Comment

And possibly the first of many leagues to abandon the 20/21 season.

http://severnsport.co.uk/gloucesters...league-season/

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                    My Name Is Ian is asking some very apposite questions about ground ownership on twitter, it appears Steven Vaughan may still be involved.
                    Don't suppose you have a link to this?

Comment

See the responses to this post (just click through). Ian is being understandably cautious about what he posts.

https://twitter.com/twoht/status/1291306290573082625

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                        See the responses to this post (just click through). Ian is being understandably cautious about what he posts.

Thank you.

Comment

Never a problem

Comment

Yes, all sorts of dark undercurrents concerning this story being alluded to online - and not just on Ian's twitter feed. Unsurprising given the key protagonists. It's turning from being a "shame" to something rather more sinister

Comment

First questions first, when something like this comes up: who owns the ground?
                              This is an absolute truth of general application in England.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post

This is an absolute truth of general application in England.
                                Yep

Comment

Is there anything dodgy here then? Apparent from one blokes as yet, unfounded suspicion, I can’t see anything suggesting there is amongst a waive of people blaming Manchester City, Arsenal and The FA.

Comment

If Pace owns the company, he could wind it up with zero debt and sell the ground/redevelop it/whatever the hell he liked with it, if he owns the ground too. I don't know whether it's a coincidence that this has all come out at the same time as a bonfire of planning regulation. Probably, but given the extent to which clubs in that part of the world have had their fingers burnt in the past, I'm not surprised it's being asked.

Similarly, I can't imagine that, in the current climate, it's going to become *more* difficult in the future to remove covenants that inconveniently put the best interests of an entire community above the best interests of someone who just happens to own piece of prime real estate and the loss-making business that uses it.

It's happened so many times before, including to the team that I nominally support, that yeah, these questions have to be asked, even if they seem unfair or difficult. London has been completely defenestrated of football grounds, league and non-league. But it doesn't only happen there.

If Pace does hang out with Stephen Vaughan, then he hangs out with a guy who transferred ownership of Barrow's ground into his own name illegally, tanked Barrow, Chester City, Bangor City (indirectly, at least officially) and Widnes Vikings RLFC, and who will soon be ending a twelve year ban on acting as a company director for VAT fraud. November 24th, to be precise.

Ironically, though, in this case I did mean it as a universal question when I typed it, because I don't know enough about Dave Pace one way or the other. Whenever a football club gets into financial bother, the very first question has to be, "what's the position regarding ownership of what might be the biggest asset of the club and the biggest loss to the community , here?"
                                    Last edited by My Name Is Ian; 06-08-2020, 19:54.

Comment

Working...
                                    X