Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The concentrated, undiluted, Summer transfer window. Hold your noses and swallow.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The concentrated, undiluted, Summer transfer window. Hold your noses and swallow.

If I've got it right the Football League season resumes on September 12 which gives clubs just shy of seven weeks to prepare for it. The transfer window will remain open until October 5, with another two weeks on top of that for domestic transfers. But if September 12 is the start date then by the time the window closes clubs will already have played around a dozen league matches. It sounds like a recipe for chaos to me.

Our first player on his way out: Bright Osayi-Samuel, for five million euros to Club Bruges. Be tough to see him go. Has really arrived as a player this season. Big, strong, fast. When he's on song can leave every full back in the league in the ruts of his wheels. Great move for him at 22 with European football a certainty. Would have liked more money, but he was out of contract so there wasn't much leeway. It's the type of club we have to be these days.

Comment

Jude Bellingham on his way from Birmingham City to Borussia Dortmund for up to 30m depending on what he gets up to during his time there.

He's 17. I wonder what my services were worth at that age.

Comment

My first job was when I was 17.As far as I remember, I came out with 56.00 pounds per week in 1981.

Comment

kicker is absolutely obsessed with Bellingham and has been for months.

Comment

We've apparently signed striker Kieffer Moore from Wigan. Clearly getting business done sooner rather than later, which is probably a good thing. IIRC he's a bit of a lump, but if Hugill goes which is almost a certainty, then we're without any experience at all in that position. With luck our speedy, skillful, offensive mid-fielders will be able to tee up enough chances that he just needs to stick a boot out or his head up to score 30+ goals next season.

Comment

In todays "Really?" news, Man City linked with Nathan Ake.

Comment

Amor de Cosmos Moore's far too sickeningly handsome to be labelled a lump, and from what I've seen of him on international duty he prefers it played to feet if anything. He needs to have broken his nose at least twice and piled on a couple of stone first.
                Last edited by 3 Colours Red; 21-07-2020, 08:10.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                  In todays "Really?" news, Man City linked with Nathan Ake.
                  I think it makes sense. Qualifies as homegrown (I think...), should be going cheap if/when Bournemouth go down and bar Laporte - who is made of tissue paper - is less prone to brain farts than Man City's other centre backs.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                    We've apparently signed striker Kieffer Moore from Wigan. Clearly getting business done sooner rather than later, which is probably a good thing. IIRC he's a bit of a lump, but if Hugill goes which is almost a certainty, then we're without any experience at all in that position. With luck our speedy, skillful, offensive mid-fielders will be able to tee up enough chances that he just needs to stick a boot out or his head up to score 30+ goals next season.
                    Ipswich signed him from Forest Green for ?10,000 and it felt like we'd been ripped off, but he's certainly done more than OK since. He didn't get much of a look-in under Mick McCarthy, to be fair. I guess having a big man up front just didn't fit in with Mick's sophisticated approach to the game.

Comment

Moore has been excellent for Wales. His link-up play has allowed Giggs' formation to flourish and meant Bale can drop deeper and wider rather than act as a high-spec target man.

Comment

Chelsea are predicted to be "busy" this summer. Ziyech (definitely) and Werner (virtually) are incoming with Morata, Pasalic, Nathan and a few juniors gone. Pedro is off to Roma, which will be a big save on wages.

As for other signings, lots of names have been bandied around, with Havertz the most prominent. Lots of talk of a new 'keeper, though the addition of a commanding centre back would be even better.

I'll be quite interested to see who else leaves, though. Rumours surround Emerson, Jorginho and some others. We also made a decent fist of slimming down the squad and reducing the numbers of players out on loan last season but there's a lot more to do. Youngsters out gaining experience is fine but there are three other distinct groups:

Experienced signings who don't have a future at the club - Moses, Bakayoko, Zappacosta, Drinkwater, Rahman

Younger players similarly with no future - Brown, Baker, Miazga, Musonda, Piazon, Kenedy

Young players doing well on loan that could come into the squad - Ampadu and Gallagher certainly, perhaps Sterling and Chalobah

Frankly, it's all a bit of a glorious melange, but there could be a title-winning side in there somewhere.

Comment

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

https://twitter.com/_ElliottJackson/status/1285561215847104512

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                            Chelsea are predicted to be "busy" this summer.
                            Haven't they got a couple of years to make up for, missing out on all the fun?

Comment

Leicester have possibly/perhaps/maybe put in a bid for Bright Osayi-Samuel. And Millwall one for Moore. So in future I'm keeping my mouth shut until I see someone with a self-satisfied grin holding up a new shirt.

Comment

Oxford rumoured to be after Linfield winger Josh Cooper

That would be the third winger Oxford are brought in from the Irish league after Mark Sykes & Gavin Whyte ( now at Cardiff City)

Comment

Originally posted by longeared View Post
                                  Oh no!

Comment

It's always slightly anti-climactic when your club's new signing doesn't have a Wikipedia page when you go looking for information on them.

This is the case with Wimbledon's first addition to the squad, Cheye Alexander, though I have been able to ascertain that he's a 25 year old right back who has spent the last five years with Aldershot and Barnet.

Comment

https://www.transfermarkt.us/cheye-a...spieler/222732

One cap for England C!

Comment

http://www.whoscored.com/Players/253955/Show/Cheye-Alexander

Comment

Thanks, though I did find out the basics about him on Soccerbase which is a usual port of call, not the England C cap though.It's just that a Wikipedia page seems like an entry level thing for even a Conference player nowadays.

I did wonder why he isn't playing for Barnet in the play-offs but presume he let his contract elapse.

Comment

Brighton look to have got midfielder and last line of a Cockney knees-up tune Adam Lallana on a free.
                                            Liverpool had outgrown him a couple of seasons ago at least, but he should be a decent enough player for Brighton if he can avoid injury.

Comment

Saints fans will be looking forward to greeting him.

Comment

We've signed attacking midfielder George Thomas, who's been let go by Leicester. Bit of an unknown, only cost 500 pounds, but has three full caps for Wales. Still just 23 and we've been looking at him for three years apparently. Must be a Les Ferdinand choice.

Comment

How much?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X