Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The concentrated, undiluted, Summer transfer window. Hold your noses and swallow.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post

Except look at what has happened under the guy who replaced him at Turf Moor. He came in and said the facilities need upgrading* and he got the money. Now it wouldn't have been quite so shiny and new and sparkling without the season in the PL but the agreement was simple - the board kept the money back for the facilities and Dyche got to build them to his specification. Money has also been spent upgrading the backroom staff, the scouting system, the spectator and back office facilities at the ground and so on. It's forward planning.

The thing about the IT and marketing teams is exactly the point though. This is Premier League football. It is chock full of data science, analysts, and so on. I ran an ice hockey club website for a while and we needed a team of four to handle the work. I know that most of the money comes from TV, but you need people to take advantage of the opportunities for that exposure.

It is a fair comparison because Howe and Dyche have similar status and control within the clubs. When Dyche goes, we have a PL quality ground, Category One training facilities and money in the bank to cope with relegation. What have Bournemouth got?

*In contrast, Howe dismantled the development squads
    Well you should expect structured organisational thinking from the son of a management consultant.....

Comment

Except look at what has happened under the guy who replaced him at Turf Moor. He came in and said the facilities need upgrading* and he got the money. Now it wouldn't have been quite so shiny and new and sparkling without the season in the PL but the agreement was simple - the board kept the money back for the facilities and Dyche got to build them to his specification. Money has also been spent upgrading the backroom staff, the scouting system, the spectator and back office facilities at the ground and so on. It's forward planning.

The thing about the IT and marketing teams is exactly the point though. This is Premier League football. It is chock full of data science, analysts, and so on. I ran an ice hockey club website for a while and we needed a team of four to handle the work. I know that most of the money comes from TV, but you need people to take advantage of the opportunities for that exposure.

It is a fair comparison because Howe and Dyche have similar status and control within the clubs. When Dyche goes, we have a PL quality ground, Category One training facilities and money in the bank to cope with relegation. What have Bournemouth got?

*In contrast, Howe dismantled the development squads

I'm not disputing that all the infrastructure isn't vital right down to IT and marketing, I'm arguing that the manager isn't the ultimate arbiter of if they happen.

Your argument is a ringing endorsement of Dyche in his eight years at Burnley rather than an apt criticism of Howe's one year there. There's no guarantee Dyche could have achieved the same things if he's been working under Bournemouth's owner for the same amount of time either.
      Last edited by Ray de Galles; 31-07-2020, 14:35.

Comment

Bournemouth spent 5 years in the premier league and earned over ?600 million in that time. You have to have an explicit policy of only spending on signings and wages, to emerge from that time without a training ground, and academy. If a manager goes to his board and says "I think we should divert some of our player budget to doing up the training ground, so I can make the most of the players we've signed, and sort out the academy so we can make our own players." the board isn't going to say no.

Instead you got a manager who kept making 10-15 million pound gambles, and eventually ran out of road.

Comment

I want to protest that NUFC have spent jack shit on the training ground in far more than five years, but then I remembered that some of the Carroll money was apparently diverted to digging a borehole, and also seeing as we only have one director we technically don't have a board either.

Rafa Benitez did exactly what you suggest and, rather than senior management finding the idea irresistible, ended up not getting his contract renewed.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
            We've apparently signed striker Kieffer Moore from Wigan. Clearly getting business done sooner rather than later, which is probably a good thing. IIRC he's a bit of a lump, but if Hugill goes which is almost a certainty, then we're without any experience at all in that position. With luck our speedy, skillful, offensive mid-fielders will be able to tee up enough chances that he just needs to stick a boot out or his head up to score 30+ goals next season.

I'm hearing that Moore to QPR was never a done deal and there are a few clubs chasing him, with Tan Utd favourites to close the deal.
            Last edited by Ray de Galles; 01-08-2020, 00:15.

Comment

Yeah, looks like he's off to South Wales. It's never done till the photo with the shirt gets published. Looks like Hugill's back in the frame, maybe... possibly...
              perhaps....

Meanwhile our penultimate captain Grant Hall has signed for Middlesborough.
              Last edited by Amor de Cosmos; 01-08-2020, 00:17.

Comment

Any Lincoln or Tranmere opinion on midfielder Alex Woodyard who Wimbledon are rumoured to be signing following his release by Peterborough?

Comment

Originally posted by beak View Post
                  I want to protest that NUFC have spent jack shit on the training ground in far more than five years, but then I remembered that some of the Carroll money was apparently diverted to digging a borehole, and also seeing as we only have one director we technically don't have a board either.

Rafa Benitez did exactly what you suggest and, rather than senior management finding the idea irresistible, ended up not getting his contract renewed.
                  yes, but newcastle are in many respects a unique club. under ashley it's 95% false economy 5% ruinously expensive mad splurges.

Comment

We've apparently signed Ironside, knowing us it'll be the old guy in the wheelchair.

Comment

If Bournemouth are really in the financial mess that it looks like why did Man City pay so much over the odds for Ake?

The biggest benefit from all of Swansea's time in the Premier League was the category one academy and training facilities that were paid for during that time. We might be selling off another academy graduate, Joe Rodon, but at least we've got the academy to produce these players. And with Cardiff not having the same investment we're able to have the pick of the M4 corridor.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
                        If Bournemouth are really in the financial mess that it looks like why did Man City pay so much over the odds for Ake?
                        Because they can.

(Come to think of it, has there been a transfer under Guardiola that fell through due to money? Was Alexis Sanchez going there at some point and chose Man United or am I misremebering?)

Comment

Ron Atkinson syndrome (2 million quid on player not worth half that, etc) as parodied on Spitting Image.

Comment

Bournemouth may be very badly run, but ultimately there is an oligarch at the back of the whole thing. If there wasn't, they would be in very serious risk of going under. A wage bill that was out of control in the premier league, huge amounts of money owing in transfer fees, and over 90 million in debt last season. This is the downside of being owned by an oligarch. If he loses interest, they are fucking doomed, having pissed away all their money masking that eddie howe can't coach for toffee.

Comment

Because they can.

(Come to think of it, has there been a transfer under Guardiola that fell through due to money? Was Alexis Sanchez going there at some point and chose Man United or am I misremebering?)
                              And Harry Maguire, every time Manchester United sign a player, Manchester City claim they were interested but he was too expensive .

Comment

That's just the old Arsenal excuse for "we were never in the running". City can buy every player they really want to.

Thinking about it, Ake is quite cheap by their standards. 57m for Laporte. 50m for Walker. 50m for Stones. 42m for Mangala. British player + sell on fee would push it up a bit more usually.

Comment

You aren't misremembering about Sanchez

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42697824

Comment

Whatever about trying to buy him at the start of the seasoh, there was no earthly reason for man city to sign sanchez in that january transfer window. They categorically did not need him at that point. Man utd were only up for it because a) ed woodward needed a transfer win. b) jose mourinho wanted an old player to push martial and rashford out of the club c) wanted to get rid of mkhtaryan. So you have monsters trying to make an idiot, following the dictates of a walking tumour, look bad. It seemed unnecessary on their part.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                                      Bournemouth may be very badly run, but ultimately there is an oligarch at the back of the whole thing. If there wasn't, they would be in very serious risk of going under. A wage bill that was out of control in the premier league, huge amounts of money owing in transfer fees, and over 90 million in debt last season. This is the downside of being owned by an oligarch. If he loses interest, they are fucking doomed, having pissed away all their money masking that eddie howe can't coach for toffee.
                                      And he won't be coaching there any more

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                        Any Lincoln or Tranmere opinion on midfielder Alex Woodyard who Wimbledon are rumoured to be signing following his release by Peterborough?
                                        I thought Tranmere had signed him, have they not? I knew they and Mansfield were sniffing round. Woodyard was absolutely brilliant for City. Protected the back four, kept it very simple distribution wise, occasionally would burst forward, but don't expect more than one goal a season. Had a horrible time at Posh who seemingly wanted rid of him within months of joining, but when he played at Sincil Bank last season he appeared to be playing on the right hand side of a diamond midfield, rather than a defensive midfielder to break up play. Be an excellent acquisition imo.

Comment

He went on loan to Tranmere in January and played ten games. Peterborough released him in June but he appears to have yet to be announced as signing for any new club yet.

Comment

Rod McDonald signs for Carlisle - any views, Dons fans?

Comment

We’ve signed Ryan Edwards from Blackpool- 6 foot 5 central defender...
                                              Luke Bolton, our teenage Man City loanee had a very impressive late cameo on Saturday- attacked the full backs and got two dangerous crosses in

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate Leszno View Post
                                                Rod McDonald signs for Carlisle - any views, Dons fans?
                                                A good signing, I think. He had a rocky start at Wimbledon and had a few injuries but I was impressed with him overall. Played as left sided centre-half in a back four or three and occasionally filled in at left back in an emergency. I'd have been happy to see him stay.

Comment

Almost daren’t ask our Ipswich residents about these two...
                                                  Nsiala was Shrewsbury, too. And Norwood was good at Tranmere, I know

Comment

What you should really do is sign Paul Lambert. He is a fantastic manager and would be a really great acquisition. Honest.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X