Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The concentrated, undiluted, Summer transfer window. Hold your noses and swallow.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://twitter.com/JackWilshere/status/1313229006880342018?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1313229006880342018%7Ctwgr%5Eshare_3&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.co.uk%2Fsport%2Ffootball%2F54426674

Comment

CY_Boaby Uncle Ethan Antipodean boy hits the big time!

Shrewsbury Town has raided the A-league. https://www.shrewsburytown.com/news/...ar-joins-town/

The press seems quite positive.

Also arriving is Brentford's Jan Zamburek, who claims " it was Shrewsbury Town's style of play under Sam Ricketts that persuaded him to join on loan from Brentford." I'm presuming said style was described to him by Ricketts rather than something he actually witnessed himself. Anyone watching the second half of Shrewsbury v Gillingham last weekend would more likely have been persuaded to take up fishing for the extra adrenaline factor.

Edit - Haha, I've just checked the Shropshire Star story and it was indeed Ricketts' description. Poor sod.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
        Wilshere and Welbeck should be in their absolute prime at 28/29, but both got paid off within 24 hours. It's hard to imagine many clubs in this country either a) being able to afford the sort of wages they've been on, or b) being willing to take the gamble on their fitness records.

There's quite a cohort of players in their generation (Also Sturridge, Walcott, Carroll, Oxlade-Chamberlain) who have had terrible "luck" with injuries, but who were perhaps also ultimately not as good as they appeared to be, or not motivated enough to maintain their initial levels.

I'm sure Wilshere and Welbeck will never have to worry about money even if they never kick a ball again so sympathy is limited (although Welbeck comes across as a decent lad).
        Or the pace in the EPL is extremely punishing and maybe the exceptions are the players who don't get injuries?

Comment

I see that Omar Bogle and Chris Gunter have joined Charlton. Glad we've played them once already. Cameron Jerome has signed for MK and looks delighted.

https://twitter.com/MKDonsFC/status/1314603781171052545

Comment

Victor Moses to Spartak Moscow on loan. Apparently the sixth loan move he's made while at Chelsea.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisJ View Post
              CY_Boaby Uncle Ethan Antipodean boy hits the big time!

Shrewsbury Town has raided the A-league. https://www.shrewsburytown.com/news/...ar-joins-town/

The press seems quite positive.

Also arriving is Brentford's Jan Zamburek, who claims " it was Shrewsbury Town's style of play under Sam Ricketts that persuaded him to join on loan from Brentford." I'm presuming said style was described to him by Ricketts rather than something he actually witnessed himself. Anyone watching the second half of Shrewsbury v Gillingham last weekend would more likely have been persuaded to take up fishing for the extra adrenaline factor.

Edit - Haha, I've just checked the Shropshire Star story and it was indeed Ricketts' description. Poor sod.
              ChrisJ Here's a bit more info, from an Aussie perspective, on your new glamour signing https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/engl...utility-millar

The A-League's haemorrhaging players left, right & centre with January's delayed start date for the new season already in doubt.

The exciting A-League import to look out for, aside from Matt Millar, is Birmingham City's loan of Riley McGree. He was Adelaide Utd's player of the season and achieved worldwide fame a couple of years ago when he scored a scorpion goal against moneybags Melbourne City.
              Last edited by CY_Boaby; 10-10-2020, 12:54.

Comment

Originally posted by CY_Boaby View Post

ChrisJ Here's a bit more info, from an Aussie perspective, on your new glamour signing https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/engl...utility-millar

The A-League's haemorrhaging players left, right & centre with January's delayed start date for the new season already in doubt.

The exciting A-League import to look out for, aside from Matt Millar, is Birmingham City's loan of Riley McGree. He was Adelaide Utd's player of the season and achieved worldwide fame a couple of years ago when he scored a scorpion goal against moneybags Melbourne City.
                Cheers. I was wondering until I saw the Carl Robinson connection.

Millar seems to be quite well-regarded but I've never been able to gauge the relative quality of the A-League. My impression of the few live games I've attended was about good English L1 standard, but that's almost certainly unfair as all those games featured particularly uninspiring incarnations of Wellington Phoenix.

Loved that scorpion goal!

Comment

QPR have signed 18-year-old striker Charlie Kelman from Southend. We obviously really wanted this kid as negotiations have been going on for weeks. I hope he's worth it.

Comment

Ryan Manning to Swansea from QPR. Fee unknown as yet.

Comment

The chances of Brentford ever doing transfer business again with West Ham under the current ownership are very remote.

Benrahma has gone for a loan fee of ?5m with an obligation to buy for ?20m plus ?5m in add-ons. West Ham's negotiation techniques included a successfully changing the sale into an initial loan plus trying to reduce the fee at the last minute. They raised concerns about Said's fitness leaking the results of a medical (a dodgy blood test apparently) to the press in a further attempt to get a discount (this from a club that signed Andy Carroll and Jack Wilshere). They then used their supposed interest in Josh King from Bournemouth as a further bargaining counter. West Ham fans are as disgusted with Gold, Sullivan and Brady's antics as we are.

I just hope Brentford's lawyers have drawn up a watertight contract.

Comment

You don’t get that with Villa.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                          Ryan Manning to Swansea from QPR. Fee unknown as yet.
                          I've heard he's a left wing back and midfielder, is he any good?

Comment

Joe Rodon to Spurs for 11 million rising to 15. I'm fuming, he's worth double that.

Ryan Bennett joins from Wolves as his replacement.

Fabio Borini is expected to sign on a free.

Kasey Palmer joins on loan with no permanent transfer clause.

We've also signed a centre half from Man City on a free.

If we can get over the loss of Rodon we've had a good window, but that's a huge if.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post

I've heard he's a left wing back and midfielder, is he any good?
                              Yes. Or at least he could be if he's employed properly. For the last year and a half he's been left back for us — mainly because there's been no one else. He's weak there, constantly losing his man and leaving acres of space behind. I've lost count of the number of goals we've conceded from his position. At left mid-field, though he's a genuine threat. A strong accurate passer, and excellent tackler. He's also very good from dead ball situations.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Beast View Post
                                You don’t get that with Villa.
                                True. Pay a decent price with realistic add-ons, don't take the piss and we'll happily do business with you again.

Comment

We've also signed a centre half from Man City on a free.
                                  Joel Latibeaudiere could well end up a very good signing. Like Toshin Adirabioyo he's a young player who has performed very well at youth level (JL is an FA Youth Cup winner), played well on loan and seemed ready for a crack at the first team only for City to go for expensive CL- ready players rather than give home talent a chance. Youth and development coaches at City must wonder why they bother. When Jason Denayer - another centre back developed then cast off by the club - played excellently for Lyon to knock City out of the CL I thought it may have been a wake up call. Seems not.

Comment

Originally posted by cantagalo View Post
                                    The chances of Brentford ever doing transfer business again with West Ham under the current ownership are very remote.

Benrahma has gone for a loan fee of ?5m with an obligation to buy for ?20m plus ?5m in add-ons. West Ham's negotiation techniques included a successfully changing the sale into an initial loan plus trying to reduce the fee at the last minute. They raised concerns about Said's fitness leaking the results of a medical (a dodgy blood test apparently) to the press in a further attempt to get a discount (this from a club that signed Andy Carroll and Jack Wilshere). They then used their supposed interest in Josh King from Bournemouth as a further bargaining counter. West Ham fans are as disgusted with Gold, Sullivan and Brady's antics as we are.

I just hope Brentford's lawyers have drawn up a watertight contract.
                                    They're a tiresome bunch of cunts, probably the worst of all the boards in the Premier League, and they have some stiff competition.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony C View Post
                                      Joel Latibeaudiere could well end up a very good signing. Like Toshin Adirabioyo he's a young player who has performed very well at youth level (JL is an FA Youth Cup winner), played well on loan and seemed ready for a crack at the first team only for City to go for expensive CL- ready players rather than give home talent a chance. Youth and development coaches at City must wonder why they bother. When Jason Denayer - another centre back developed then cast off by the club - played excellently for Lyon to knock City out of the CL I thought it may have been a wake up call. Seems not.
                                      West Brom had Adirabioyo on loan a couple of seasons ago but I really didn't rate him.

Anyway, some typically last minute West Brom deals - Karlan Grant in from Huddersfield and both Kamil Grosiciky and Kenneth Zahore leave - to Forest and Milwall respectively.

Comment

We were linked on and off with Zohore all through the window but it didn't end up happening for whatever reason - we signed Jack Marriott on loan from Wayne Rooney's Derby County instead.

Comment

Burnley's transfer business.

Comment

Luton have signed another Welsh international (Joe Morrell from Bristol City), loaned a stately home (Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall from Leicester) and one of those fashionable loan-to-buys for a young striker (Sam Nombe from Franchise).

All in all recruitment has been excellent, the squad is a lot stronger than this time last year. The first two above look excellent signings, the third seems a punt but I wouldn’t expect it to be a costly one - any opinions from anyone who has seen them play?

Comment

The transfer business we should have done and didn't was selling Keiren Westwood. He signed a two year deal in summer 2019 but got dropped last November after several errors and hasn't played since. He's now fallen out with Monk to the extent that he's been training with the under 23s and not given a squad number. Blackburn were linked with him in the off season and another Championship club asked about a loan deal but he's still here and his wages are still on the book. No wonder our finances are fucked. Our best bet of getting rid in the near future is to hope someone else runs out of keepers through Covid or otherwise and ends up signing him on an emergency loan rather than chucking their academy keeper in.

Comment

If I were a Huddersfield fan I'd be fairly scared about the fact the scorers of 36 (or 37, if you include the own-goal scorer) of their 52 league goals last season are no longer at the club and they've only signed Danny Ward (12 league goals in the last three seasons) to fill that hole. They couldn't even get Rolando Aarons through the door.

Even making allowances for the club's size/budget, it's quite impressive how badly they've invested their Premier League money - a little over a season after relegation they're arguably the weakest squad in the Championship. The summer after they dropped they signed four players over the age of 31 (three are still with them) and added a fifth on loan in January.

Anyway, I thought I'd ask, now the window has SLAMMED shut, how many of your club's summer releases are still without a club? At Watford the main one is team stalwart Adrian Mariappa, for whose departure the club still haven't officially acknowledged for some reason. Expensive semi-crocks Danny Welbeck and Daryl Janmaat had their contracts cancelled just before the window shut so they could find new sides, while perennial lower-league loanee Michael Folivi hasn't found anywhere. That I'm unaware of, only two of our released under-23s/18s have found clubs.

Comment

Nathan Dyer is still without a club, he's training with us at the moment so I'd expect him to resign if we needed him.

Comment

Joe Rodon to Spurs for 11 million rising to 15. I'm fuming, he's worth double that.
                                                    I have to admit I'm impressed with how well Rodon has come on. When he was on loan with us a couple of years ago I really didn't think much of him at all, we were quite crap at the time though, so that could be part of the reason.

It was big day for former Cheltenham loanees yesterday with Joe Morrell moving to Luton and Jack Butland moving back into the Premier League with Crystal Palace.

As for ourselves, we signed Ellis Chapman from Lincoln. By all accounts the "fee" is simply a sell-on clause as compo was due to Lincoln given his age and the fact they offered him a new deal. Sounds like one of those players who needs to take a step back in his career in order to move forward again, but at 19 still has plenty of time to progress.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X