Starter for TEN; Anyone for TEN-is? Bo Derek: Scottish Football 2020-21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bill Bones View Post
    A question for the Aberdeen fans, is McInnes under any serious pressure? Another defeat today and sounded fairly toothless performance...
    Too right Derek McInnes is under pressure, but he'll be grateful that his fate isn't in the hands of the keyboard warriors on Aberdeen message boards, otherwise he needn't have bothered showing up for work for a couple of weeks now.
    Performances have been on the slide for a few seasons, but he was still getting results in sufficient measure to keep the hounds at bay. There was a brief wave of positivity when he shipped out our old forward line a week ago, and brought in 3 new strikers, but that lasted less than 24 hours when we lost tamely at home to Livingston, and the internet was pretty toxic this weekend after another toothless display at Hibs.
    It's fairly common knowledge that the new chairman isn't as big a fan as the old one was, and the new investors brought in from the US are reportedly getting twitchy, so he needs a result against St Mirren on Saturday otherwise it could be "tatties o'wer the side" for Deek.

But if not him, then who? Some of the names being bandied around on social media don't inspire any enthusiasm, and the others are just fantastical nonsense.
    I reckon he'll get until summer, but he needs to inspire the team to 3rd place to keep his job.

Comment

Thanks both. McIness sounded pretty downcast on Saturday - lamenting that the front three from earlier in season (Hedges, Wright, Watkins) are all now either injured or away. It sounded like he just didn't have the stomach for another re-build. The constant need to tear up your side every summer, or even every transfer window, is likely what persuaded Stephen Robinson at 'Well to walk away.

I've not seen much of the Dons this season but thought with McCrorie and Ferguson in midfield you were moderate favourites for third place and best of the rest.

In other news, Tommy Wright re-appears as Kilmarnock's new manager. Looks a sound appointment.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Bones View Post
        I've not seen much of the Dons this season but thought with McCrorie and Ferguson in midfield you were moderate favourites for third place and best of the rest.

It is a strong first choice centre midfield. We should really be finishing third but unfortunately we have only looked good for it in a brief spell with an attack of Marley Watkins - back to England after a short term loan, Ryan Hedges - out for the rest of the season, and Scott Wright - off to Ibrox. Without these three playing together we are just so blunt, and our usual reliable defence/goalie have been very leaky in the last couple of months too. Hibs have recruited well and play with cohesion so they're looking on for third right now. It sounds really simple, but they can score goals from through balls, normally to Martin Boyle, that we are just incapable of scoring. There's also a pretty reasonable chance that Livingston will get above us too.

Depressing times up here!

Comment

McInnes gets the Chairmans backing.
          https://twitter.com/AberdeenFC/status/1358876340280262659?s=19

Comment

Originally posted by The Red Max View Post

Too right Derek McInnes is under pressure, but he'll be grateful that his fate isn't in the hands of the keyboard warriors on Aberdeen message boards, otherwise he needn't have bothered showing up for work for a couple of weeks now.
            Performances have been on the slide for a few seasons, but he was still getting results in sufficient measure to keep the hounds at bay. There was a brief wave of positivity when he shipped out our old forward line a week ago, and brought in 3 new strikers, but that lasted less than 24 hours when we lost tamely at home to Livingston, and the internet was pretty toxic this weekend after another toothless display at Hibs.
            It's fairly common knowledge that the new chairman isn't as big a fan as the old one was, and the new investors brought in from the US are reportedly getting twitchy, so he needs a result against St Mirren on Saturday otherwise it could be "tatties o'wer the side" for Deek.

But if not him, then who? Some of the names being bandied around on social media don't inspire any enthusiasm, and the others are just fantastical nonsense.
            I reckon he'll get until summer, but he needs to inspire the team to 3rd place to keep his job.
            Max,

even if we lose to St Mirren, he’ll still be safe - we can’t afford to get rid of him. Tatties o’wer the side - great expression!

Comment

Lower league suspension to continue Latest statement from the SFA doesnt even commit to a date from which they'd hope football could resume.

Some serious questions need to be asked of the SFA right now. The infection rate is lower than when football was suspended back in January. It's also lower than when football in the lower leagues started in October 2020. Where is the justification for continuing to lock out League One and Two whilst allowing Championship teams to play games? Can't help but feel that this is the SFA wanting to be seen to be doing something in the wake of the Celtic Dubai fiasco without actually punishing Celtic or any other top flight club. It also raises the prospect of the Scottish Cup being unable to resume - Dumbarton have a tie against Huntley to complete, with the winner facing Aberdeen at home. Neither tie looks likely to be played any time soon so we're now looking at having 3 rounds of the cup to fit in if it's to be completed this season. It would take a minimum of 2 weeks of training before the lower leagues could resume so even if a resumption had been announced today, the earliest clubs would realistically be playing league games would have been 27/02/21, if not the weekend after.

An absolute shambles. Scottish football is soldiering on with the top 2 divisions to try and avoid the shambles of 2020 whilst completely failing to support the lower league teams. Its unacceptable.

Comment

It's hard to see the lower leagues resuming and Peterhead's Jim McInally seems to be summing up the mood of the clubs perfectly. You can't promote and relegate clubs with an 18-game season so may as well call it a day, which is a real kick in the balls for everyone who's worked so hard to keep the game alive. It was a purely political decision by the SFA and they seem oblivious to the fact they've hung out to dry so many of their members.

Comment

He waas many things but you could never accuse him of being boring.

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/spor...manov-19841065

Comment

Rob - how do Jambos fans view Romanov now? He brought glitz, glamour and trophies, but almost killed the club in doing so. From the outside looking in you'd think he'd be despised, but the feeling I get is that a number of Jambos fans still have a soft spot for him. Feel free to correct me if I've completely go that wrong.

Comment

Philadelphia Union are signing Stuart Findlay off of Kilmarnock.

Comment

Well now this is quite a funny scoreline. Are Ross going to hang on?

Comment

#LambertIN

He'll bring the Bhoys a whole new meaning to the phrase 'absolutely brilliant'.

Comment

Not the first time the Staggies have turned over the Tic when they’re struggling. Yogi may be a little conflicted but he’ll dance around it in his usual erudite style.

Great result for Ross County. I have a few Black Isle pals breathing a bit easier tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Erskine Bridges View Post
                              Not the first time the Staggies have turned over the Tic when they’re struggling. Yogi may be a little conflicted but he’ll dance around it in his usual erudite style.

Great result for Ross County. I have a few Black Isle pals breathing a bit easier tonight.
                              I’m from the Black Isle and I’m barely breathing at all after that match. What a great defensive performance.

Comment

From the Black Isle and worked in Aberdeen for 10 years? We must have mutual acquaintances. Are you familiar with BSFC?

Comment

From the Black Isle and worked in Aberdeen for 10 years? We must have mutual acquaintances. Are you familiar with BSFC?
                                  Oh dear. My past is definitely catching up with me! I was a founding member of BSFC in 1984 and played for them until I moved overseas in 1990.

Comment

Ha ha! How are you Derek? Your user name was a clue. I played my first game for the famous BSFC in 1991 and last one around 2002/3. Your brother will have it written down.

I think the last time we spoke was at the anniversary dinner which, I’m guessing, would have been 2014.

Comment

Ha ha! How are you Derek? Your user name was a clue. I played my first game for the famous BSFC in 1991 and last one around 2002/3. Your brother will have it written down.

I think the last time we spoke was at the anniversary dinner which, I’m guessing, would have been 2014.
                                      Just sent private message. Thought it best before we get other posters saying “get a room, you two”!

Comment

Dear DP & EB

Please keep talking about your reunion dinner. I'm having one soon myself. In Lurgan

Best wishes

Neil

Comment

Well this is nice.

Comment

Yes indeed it is a small world. Still wouldn’t want to paint it mind.

Comment

Are Celtic waiting until May before giving Lennon the shove?

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                                Theres a rumour of a contractual bonus payment due to Lennon that the club aren't keen on paying.

Huge rebuilding job ahead. Lawell is retiring so there will be a transition period in the boardroom. There's long been talk of players unhappy at Lennon's coaching methods. Sacking him may not be enough to keep those players at the club. There may also be a lack of obvious candidates who would take the club forward and keep the fans happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                                  Nope.

Though it is reported as him having walked.

Comment

It seems like the press knew he was going late last night. It looks like they wanted to get to the end of the season before making a change but weren’t good enough to get there.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X