No announcement yet.

Starter for TEN; Anyone for TEN-is? Bo Derek: Scottish Football 2020-21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lang Spoon forgot to ask, how do you think Raith will get on back in the Championship?

Comment

Eh, I'm thinking near the relegation spots too unfortunately.

Comment

When do weather postponements start to kick in?

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
          When do weather postponements start to kick in?
          when its shite.
          scotland being scotland that can be any time between october and september,especially if your game is fort william away

Comment

St Mirren v Motherwell off due to Covid as we only have 8 fit outfield players, but this time we have 4 goalkeepers available. If any team needs a goalkeeper for an emergency loan, ours our available for the next 2 weeks.

Comment

Looks like a difficult second season after a defeat in the mean streets of Raith.

Comment

You might think that lying 6th after a point against the 3rd best team (and after 4 years in the league below) as well as holding on to Shankland in a window where Covid might easily have encouraged cashing in would have our supporters feeling glass half full or even more positive than that.
                You might think that, cos you don’t belong to Arabs Anonymous on FB. It is such a relentless torrent of negativity I really feel people are projecting everything else in life at the moment onto our players.

Still there was some light relief around Dundee’s hammering. There’s always some minor joy at the city’s ‘traditional bigger club’ losing but because we’ve beaten them twice 6-2 and McPake was involved in both, as player and now manager, some wags posted screenshots of their correct score bet slips of 6-2 before the game (125/1) and as the goals went in loads more people piled on (I think at half-time it was still 33/1).

I didn’t see it and rubbed my eyes in disbelief when I saw the bbc report.

Comment

Originally posted by Felicity, I guess so View Post
                  You might think that lying 6th after a point against the 3rd best team (and after 4 years in the league below) as well as holding on to Shankland in a window where Covid might easily have encouraged cashing in would have our supporters feeling glass half full or even more positive than that.
                  You might think that, cos you don’t belong to Arabs Anonymous on FB. It is such a relentless torrent of negativity I really feel people are projecting everything else in life at the moment onto our players.

Still there was some light relief around Dundee’s hammering. There’s always some minor joy at the city’s ‘traditional bigger club’ losing but because we’ve beaten them twice 6-2 and McPake was involved in both, as player and now manager, some wags posted screenshots of their correct score bet slips of 6-2 before the game (125/1) and as the goals went in loads more people piled on (I think at half-time it was still 33/1).

I didn’t see it and rubbed my eyes in disbelief when I saw the bbc report.
                  United very fortunate to get a point yesterday. Aberdeen had 18 shots at goal and 7 on target. A combination of poor decision making and poor finishing, combined with a shocking decision not to give a penalty for a blatant handball, ensured that Aberdeen didn’t find the net. Having said that, regardless of the results so far, you’ll always get numpties spouting forth rubbish. At Aberdeen, we have plenty of these too.

Comment

I almost watched a bit of that game on telly, then someone told me it wasn't live so I couldn't be arsed.

Comment

The St Mirren forum at Black and White Army always quickly descends into playground pettiness along the lines of "ÿou're a dick" followed by the intelligent reply of "naw, you're a bigger dick". I've never signed up to it as it just seems quite a nasty place and the fact we're curr?ntly on a 6-game losing streak means it's a website to completely avoid.

Comment

League One started back on Saturday. Dumbarton were involved in the kind of dull 0-0 draw with Forfar that would get football stopped. It's typical of us really. We generally assemble a dull squad, somehow pick up a good player right at the end of the transfer window and find form as the season goes on. We're not a Betfred Cup team and our 2 losses so far in that competition were entirely expected. We should be ok and avoid a relegation struggle, but its never pretty to watch for the first few weeks. We have a real lack of creativity - our only real playmaker is Ross Forbes. A player who divides supporters with his lack of any effort frustrating and his tendency for a hollywood pass or great set piece delighting in equal measure. I wouldn't have him in the team because League One is a league where football is played with pace and intensity. Forbes doesnt have the luxury of being able to stroll around the pitch picking out the passes he wants to make.

Going to be an interesting league. Partick Thistle won't find it easy getting promotion at the first time of asking. They'll face a real challenge from Falkirk. Cove have money to spend and Fraser Fyvie will be a good signing for them. Crazy to think of how highly rated he was as a youngster given where he is now, but he'll be an important player for them. I'd ignore the result from an East Fife viewpoint - they're better than a 3-1 loss and will be involved in the play-off hunt.

I reckon Falkirk will win the title this year. They've gone through it last season and should be well set up for another shot at the title. They're not as strong defensively as they look to be in midfield and up front. If Connor Salmon is in the mood then he should bang in plenty this season and they've got some good midfielders to create for him.

There's a group of 4 or 5 teams who will be fighting for the 3 play-off spots. Thistle are the obvious best of the rest but I wouldn't count out Cove Rangers. East Fife will be a difficult team to play. Montrose were a good team last season. You could add Clyde and maybe even Airdrie into the mix for the final play-off spot.

I think we'll be the best of the remaining 3. We should finish above Peterhead and Forfar. We're defensively sound enough and have a promising keeper on loan from Hibs - Kevin Dobrowski has been rated quite strongly by Hibs before hit a few injuries that hurt his progress.

I reckon the table will look something like:

Falkirk
                        Partick Thistle
                        Cove Rangers
                        East Fife
                        Clyde
                        Montrose
                        Airdrie
                        Dumbarton
                        Peterhead
                        Forfar

It'll also be interesting to see how streaming works in League One. The service is being provided to about 75% of the teams by an American firm called Pixellot. Cameras are AI-controlled and track the ball during play. Teams have the option of basic in game graphics - the system can display a line up graphic, has a score bar at the top of the picture and can have a clock. Theres also the option of commentary provided locally. On Saturday Forfar didnt have anybody commentating at the game v Dumbarton but we've got 2 commentators lined up for Sons home games. There have been concerns with the cup coverage that servers were really unreliable and that the AI cameras were unable to keep focus on the ball and keep up with play whilst still showing the wider context of a game. Zoom out too far to show that wider context and you get a sense of positional play and tactics but at the cost of detail. I'd have liked clubs to have done some proper stress testing to make sure that servers could cope with demand, that cameras were properly calibrated and that the volunteers on site were comfortable using the system. Its yet to be seen how it'll work for season ticket holders (first Sons home league game is this Saturday so I'll soon find out) or if there's an appetite for paid streaming in the lower leagues. I also wonder how clubs will replace the ancillary revenue from activities such as 50/50 prize draws, hospitality or matchday catering and merchandise sales. Will sponsorship be down given the concerns that local businesses will be facing? Lower league football across the UK tends to be reliant on local rather than national firms for sponsorship. Ultimately it has to work. There's no other options for Scottish football than for fans to embrace streaming as a temporary measure for as long as we can't physically go to matches. Perhaps the biggest danger of all is that the longer we're away from football grounds then the easier it becomes for matchday attendance to fall out of our Saturday routines. I routinely pay for hockey streams rather than travelling to away games with Glasgow Clan and as time has gone on, I've fallen away from spending my Sundays going to away games down south or the odd Saturday going over to Belfast. Scottish football as a whole needs to be very careful that fans are willing to come back to grounds on a Saturday afternoon when we're eventually able to.

Comment

Partick Thistle won't find it easy getting promotion at the first time of asking.

Right now I'd settle for the SPFL not relegating us for reasons based on votes, money, "fairness" and whether Dundee can operate a fucking e-mail account.

Comment

Originally posted by blameless View Post
                            Partick Thistle won't find it easy getting promotion at the first time of asking.

Right now I'd settle for the SPFL not relegating us for reasons based on votes, money, "fairness" and whether Dundee can operate a fucking e-mail account.
                            There was no need to declare champions/relegation in the Championship or Leagues 1 and 2. TV has absolutely no impact on those leagues. Raith Rovers were exceptionally lucky.

Comment

Ah sure, we deserve it but.

Comment

Originally posted by BallochSonsFan View Post

Going to be an interesting league. Partick Thistle won't find it easy getting promotion at the first time of asking. They'll face a real challenge from Falkirk. Cove have money to spend and Fraser Fyvie will be a good signing for them. Crazy to think of how highly rated he was as a youngster given where he is now, but he'll be an important player for them.
                                Fyvie actually signed last summer and played probably the majority of their games in League 2. He's almost definitely the only guy with Scottish and FA Cup winner's medals to turn out in the Scottish fourth tier..... Cove haven't brought in as many players as they did last year but that team steamrolled their way through L2. I'd say they are a reasonable bet to finish in a playoff spot but maybe a third straight promotion is a wee bit beyond them - especially competing with full time clubs.

Comment

Originally posted by shackleford View Post

Fyvie actually signed last summer and played probably the majority of their games in League 2. He's almost definitely the only guy with Scottish and FA Cup winner's medals to turn out in the Scottish fourth tier..... Cove haven't brought in as many players as they did last year but that team steamrolled their way through L2. I'd say they are a reasonable bet to finish in a playoff spot but maybe a third straight promotion is a wee bit beyond them - especially competing with full time clubs.
                                  Just checking but what Scottish medals has Fyvie won?

Comment

Originally posted by DPDPDPDP View Post

Just checking but what Scottish medals has Fyvie won?
                                    He started the 2016 final for Hibs.

Comment

Originally posted by blameless View Post

being utter shite last season never helped either,though

Comment

So, are Rangers posing a genuine threat to Celtic this season? I haven't watched many Scottish games over the last few years, but just judging from the results this season, it seems so.

Comment

Originally posted by Belhaven View Post
                                          So, are Rangers posing a genuine threat to Celtic this season? I haven't watched many Scottish games over the last few years, but just judging from the results this season, it seems so.
                                          over the course of a season id expect celtic to be the stronger but that would be based on them holding their own over the course of the four OF games.with regards to leadership,though,i dont think lennons any sort of manager

Comment

Originally posted by CY_Boaby View Post
                                            St Mirren v Motherwell off due to Covid as we only have 8 fit outfield players, but this time we have 4 goalkeepers available. If any team needs a goalkeeper for an emergency loan, ours our available for the next 2 weeks.
                                            Motherwell's reserve coach wants the SPFL to start awarding games to the opposition in these cases. It would need a rule change, though:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/54592850

I think the problem with the current rule is that teams are allowed to postpone when they have fewer than 13 registered fit players (one of which has to be a goalkeeper), but there's no mechanism for checking if they're fibbing and trying to get a postponement for tactical reasons.
                                            Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 24-10-2020, 09:34.

Comment

Why can't the spare keepers play in outfield positions?

Comment

They probably could but the team still only would have 12 fit players but needs a minimum of 13, according to the rules.

Comment

Wouldn't wash on a Sunday morning pitch - "You have 7? You're good!"

Comment

Originally posted by steviecowden View Post

over the course of a season id expect celtic to be the stronger but that would be based on them holding their own over the course of the four OF games.with regards to leadership,though,i dont think lennons any sort of manager
                                                    Lennon is an absolutely awful manager with no tactical nouse whatsoever. Add to that his hopeless forays into the transfer market and you end up with the squad he’s now lumbered with.

The questions I put to fans are. Has he improved as a manager after ten years of club management and if he suddenly became available tomorrow would anyone employ him.

It would be a firm no from me to both questions.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X