• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Packed tightly in the box, it's what he would have wanted

Jack Charlton dead.

https://twitter.com/PAdugout/status/1281859669145915392?s=19

G-Man's going to have to get his list out again

Comment

An Englishman who was popular in Ireland, there aren't many of those.

Comment

Apart from half their team, ye mean?

RIP to the Genial Geordie Gamekeeper

Comment

A bit callous, but I'd have had Jack In A Box as the thread title.

Jack Charlton scored the first goal I was really conscious of and made me leap from my customary place on the floor in the 1970 Cup Final.

He seemed like a lovely, irascible bloke. That poor Leeds side are dropping like flies now. Its really sad.
          Last edited by Logan Mountstuart; 11-07-2020, 09:10. Reason: The floor in my house, not at 1970 Wembley, obviously.

Comment

Oh that’s a shame. I went to a dinner where he was the speaker. He was really entertaining and seemed a nice bloke.

RIP

Comment

The football focus studio must be pretty frantic at the moment. Or do you reckon they've got all the 1966 team's obit pieces ready to go on a shelf, like news have for the royals?

Comment

Most obits of anyone remotely well known are mostly written in advance.

Comment

He'd suffered dementia for a long while, hadn't he? Poor sod.

In the 1970s it was Bobby on the BBC, Jackie on ITV. He was entertainingly poor at identifying players correctly, "the big lad knocked it in" was his usual analysis.

RIP.

Comment

RIP Jack, he gave us all over here a lift during some grim times, and the football wasn't always as bad as reported.

Comment

RIP Wor Jackie.

Anyone who could get away with giving Peter Osgood a dead leg right in front of the referee must’ve had something going for him.

(Yep, I went with ‘Jack in the box’ on another forum​​​​​.)

Comment

Didn't they make a series once that was him fishing, with weekly guests?

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                          Yes

Comment

Doubtless that ‘ball in the cobblers’ clip will make an appearance or two over the next few days, as well.

Comment

Was it on a thread here or on a Zoom chat that someone said he was the oldest living footballer they had ever seen play in the flesh?

Comment

He seemed OK did Jack. His ungainliness disguised the fact he was quite a good footballer, and as a manager he was underrated, especially at Middlesbrough, and as mentioned the Republic could actually play a bit, perhaps he played up to the unsophisticated image to lull the opposition a bit.

In 1984 or thereabouts, a family friend was on a train to Durham with her newborn baby, and was predictably struggling with the demands of a newborn, luggage etc. Jack Charlton happened to be sharing her carriage (it might have been a compartment), and he offered to take the baby while she sorted herself out. And then, when she was ready to take her back, he told her he was fine, and that she could take a rest. So Jack spent much of the rest of the journey cradling the baby, making googoo faces and noises as appropriate while Mum relaxed.

A nice man. It wasn't all knees to the groin and standing on goalkeeper's toes.

Comment

RIP Big Jack. With regard to obits, the one in the Guardian is clearly written by some Leeds hater who felt confident enough to take the piss. JC spent his entire playing career, 23 years, with Leeds, winning several trophies with the club including their first ever League title in 1969, but Leeds is barely mentioned - just once in passing I think. I would use stronger language about the writer but it would be unseemly in the sad circs.

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
                                    RIP Big Jack. With regard to obits, the one in the Guardian is clearly written by some Leeds hater who felt confident enough to take the piss. JC spent his entire playing career, 23 years, with Leeds, winning several trophies with the club including their first ever League title in 1969, but Leeds is barely mentioned - just once in passing I think. I would use stronger language about the writer but it would be unseemly in the sad circs.
                                    Good point, one I didn't notice.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
                                        The chances are he will hardly get a mention for his work at Middlesbrough either. In his first season Boro stormed to the second division title and the following year just missed out on a place in Europe having been in the title race for most of the season. Jack reckoned he was one player short of being a real league championship contender. And, technically, he didn't spend the entirety of his playing career at Leeds as he retained his player registration while at Boro, playing occasionally in the reserve team as well as making some appearances in friendlies on a tour of Australia in 1974, scoring a couple of goals. He was adored at Middlesbrough and made regular visits to games there until quite recently.

Comment

This Simon Hattenstone interview with the 66 team has a nice piece with jack

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                            Was it on a thread here or on a Zoom chat that someone said he was the oldest living footballer they had ever seen play in the flesh?

​​​​​Me. I saw him playing for Leeds at Millmoor in January 1971.

Comment

I'm glad I didn't imagine this

Comment

Cast (haha) your eyes a couple of posts above.

Comment

Working...
                                                X