Football and Betting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Football and Betting

just posted something in the Wigan thread which looks as though the administration was brought about by the involvement of betting billionaires in the Far East

so many clubs are now owned by betting companies10 Premier league clubs have shirt sponsors who are gambling companies.

17 our of 24 in the Championship

The EFL is sponsored by a betting company. for 4 million pounds.
    Isn't corruption inevitable?

Has it already arrived?

Just because a club has a shirt sponsor of a strange betting company you’ve never heard of, I don’t think that means they’re owned by the betting company.

Comment

No but Stoke city are. wigan/ are/were. Brentford . Brighton are owned by a professional gambler.
      perhaps others can add to this list.

Comment

I'm an extremist, but I'd be happy if the industry was abolished tomorrow. People say "oh, but the jobs!!!" but you can make that argument for vivisection, slavery and building landmines.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
          No but Stoke city are. wigan/ are/were. Brentford . Brighton are owned by a professional gambler.
          perhaps others can add to this list.
          Right, so less than 5% and three of the four have been/are run well by those owners. I’m sure there’s plenty who would have the Brentford or Brighton owners instead of theirs.

Chairmen/Owners will be under FA rules around betting, so they can’t be betting on football at all. It seems that has been flouted by these Hong Kong based owners of Wigan but that’s the EFL’s fault for their ever useless due diligence testing of owners.

Comment

I have no love for the EFL, but I think it would difficult for them to have the resources and expertise to investigate overseas companies to the extent that may be required.

As for sponsorship, I've not bought an item of club clothing with a sponsors logo on it since 2014*. It's not much but there isn't much else I can do. And the pool of companies willing to give Burnley ?2m a year is small in the first place, so I'm not going to have a go at them too much either.

*Since we were sponsored by Oak Furniture Land, the worlds dullest theme park.

Comment

Shouldn't the burden be on the potential purchaser to supply all of the information required?

Comment

They did provide proof of funds to the EFL.

(And I think, did actually pay the money, including outstanding loans. Now, that may have been a paper transaction but still.)

Comment

It may well be my North American bias, but I would require much more than proof of funds.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbo McGinnis View Post

Right, so less than 5% and three of the four have been/are run well by those owners. I’m sure there’s plenty who would have the Brentford or Brighton owners instead of theirs.

Chairmen/Owners will be under FA rules around betting, so they can’t be betting on football at all. It seems that has been flouted by these Hong Kong based owners of Wigan but that’s the EFL’s fault for their ever useless due diligence testing of owners.
                    Not less than 5%. My Quick google found 4 clubs. I suspect there are a number of others.

How would the FA monitor whether owners do or don't bet on football, using intermediaries?

Comment

Exactly the same way they do for footballers.

Comment

It is virtually impossible to monitor before the fact

That said, forced sales (preferably at a loss) and lifetime bans can be a rather effective deterrent

Comment

Originally posted by Big Boobs and FIRE! View Post
                          Exactly the same way they do for footballers.
                          I can think of a few who were penalised- Barton, Demichelis, Andros Townsend.

do you really think those were the only cases?

Comment

Paul Scholes got a small fine (?8k) last year for betting ?26k on football when he was a part owner of Salford. And it was his bookies (Paddy Power) who grassed on him to the FA. They closed his account, so he moved to Bet365.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post

Not less than 5%. My Quick google found 4 clubs. I suspect there are a number of others.

How would the FA monitor whether owners do or don't bet on football, using intermediaries?
                              4 of 92 is less than 5%. Your suspicion is unfounded.

Comment

Excwept that it's not (yet) limited at four is it? I was able to mention 4 in about 5 minutes. I suspect there are others.
                                You have not proved me wrong.
                                Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence,

Comment

I was somewhat surprised to learn when commentating on live streams for NPL games that they get a decent audience in Asia. Then I realised it was gambling-driven. As a condition of my media accreditation I am forbidden from betting on Australian football competitions.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ethan View Post
                                    As a condition of my media accreditation I am forbidden from betting on Australian football competitions.
                                    That is certainly not the case in Britain.

Comment

Gambling & football: Eight clubs, 130 miles & a mission to end sponsorship 'blind spot'

Comment

https://twitter.com/JosimarFotball/status/1616473754497843202?s=20&t=Pf0Dun0qMOJW-6d059KXXw

Comment

actors in international football
                                          Are we talking about Pele and John Wark here?

Comment

Ah, no, that would be international footballers in acting...

Comment

https://twitter.com/PhilippeAuclair/status/1616809913715490816?t=1M2T_trdFSbylOo1m4V2AA&s=19

Comment

Even If i didn't know who quinn was, this would make my teeth itch

Comment

Those adverts are all the same "Look we're responding to the critiques of our business model by telling our customers that its their duty to keep themselves "safe" whilst they continue to give us their money."

The Paddy Power ad is the worst one because it features the excitable betting expert from ITV4's horse racing programme.
                                                  Last edited by Kowalski; 21-01-2023, 21:00.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X