Pele, Argentina and the Dictators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pele, Argentina and the Dictators

Slightly odd title, singling out Pele, but this programme was on the Beeb last night and is currently on the iPlayer: https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...-the-dictators

They managed to assemble quite a few of the Brazilian squad. Let's just say that when it comes to politics and their views of the military junta that there's quite a distance between Tostao and Jairzinho!

A lot of the Argentinian team, apart from Luque, seemed to go with the "we're footballers not politicians " line as well.

Comment

I'd have liked to see one programme on Brazil and another on Argentina.

Comment

Isn't Pele brilliant. He can shoot from inside his own half with the keeper off his line but miss. Oh and he can dummy the keeper with the ball going one way and him the other then screw his shot wide.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenlander View Post
          Isn't Pele brilliant. He can shoot from inside his own half with the keeper off his line but miss. Oh and he can dummy the keeper with the ball going one way and him the other then screw his shot wide.
          bit like alexander the great,then-his failures were greater than other mens triumphs

Comment

He was no Xabi Alonso, it's true

Comment

I think those Pele examples are about the skill not the result, and were perhaps also selected because Pele's goals in 1970 were not as spectacular as some of the ones he scored in 1958 and 1962. Also, with the Banks save, how many players of the time other than Pele would have got that header so accurate - Gerd Mueller maybe?

Did the documentary go as far as 1982-86 and Socrates' politics?

Comment

No, it was just about 1970 and 1978. Very few of the players interviewed seemed that concerned about the regimes they triumphed under.

After Brazil's travails in 1966 the authorities decided that fitness levels were an issue so the players went to a military PE centre before the 1970 tournament, which some think was a decisive factor in their success.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenlander View Post
                  This. And he was no Dwight Marshall. Dummy the keeper BUT scored it. As I know you know!! I used to prefer Maradona to Pele as he seemed far more of an outsider than Pele, but then Maradona also took a FIFA gig and I just thought sod him as well. Sell-outs. Cruyff tops both for me. But I am in the cliche club on that Brazillian fourth goal...

Nice documentary though. I think it was a repeat as I'm certain i'd seen it before, if not then a lot of old footage was rehashed. The football and politics series I've really enjoyed recently was the Football Rebels series screened on the excellent Al Jazeera. All five episodes taught me stuff i didn't know (even the one on Socrates) but the one on Caszely stood out most and was really emotional viewing. But they were all great and heroic stories, and Cantona was a brilliantly flamboyant narrator.
                  Last edited by super furry dice; 01-07-2020, 20:52.

Comment

Peter Knowles brother of Cyril gave up football because of religious beliefs-became a Jehovahs witness. Am guessing he is as well known for that fact because footballers simply dont abandon careers for personal beliefs whether religious or politcal or sexual or any other.

Comment

Working...
                    X