No announcement yet.

First Manager of your Club who was born after you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paul Lambert. Since him, only Steve Bruce has been older than me. I suspect he will remain the answer to 'last manager of your club to be older than you'. But you never know... Warnock, McCarthy, Hughes... They're still out there.

Comment

Managers always seemed way older than me for what seemed like forever but the appointment of Carl Fletcher a whopping eleven years my junior when I was 42 changed that dynamic forever.

Combing the oldest played/ youngest manager threads leads me to conculde that 31 is the crossover age.

Comment

Pochettino as full manager for me, though Jason Dodd if we're counting caretakers.

Comment

Ruud Gullit, I reckon.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
            Paul Hurst is two years younger than me
            Paul Hurst for me too, the only Ipswich manager so far to be younger than me.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Orange View Post

Paul Hurst for me too, the only Ipswich manager so far to be younger than me.
              Same here. Younger than me by a year.

Comment

Despite tipping into my 5th decade a few weeks ago, it still hasn't happened for me yet. Closest was a year or so ago with the utterly inept Sam Collins, who appeared young and woefully inexperienced but is actually 3 years my senior. Perhaps it was the ill-fated experiment of having Chris Brass as player-manager in his mid-20s circa 2004 that has kept our board mostly favouring the older gentleman ever since.

Comment

Chelsea- Gullit (as prompted by Nocto)
                  Norn Iron- O'Neill

Comment

In my case, I reckon it’s Tim Sherwood, if indeed he even counts.

(If not, then Andre Villas-Boas - some fifteen years my junior.)

Comment

Mark Atkins, if we're allowed caretaker managers. Took over at Shrewsbury for a month after Kevin Ratcliffe was sacked in April 2003.

For full-timers I had to wait for OTF Shrews favourite Paul Simpson who prompted a brief, unwarranted flurry of excitement when he arrived in March 2008.

Comment

Horrible question in terms of the answer for me if we exclude caretakers (so excluding John Carver, caretaker for a few matches in 2006). The first "permanent" manager of LUFC younger then me was Dennis sodding Wise, the only Leeds manager I've ever been ashamed to have as the manager of the club I support. (Incidentally, how weird is it to have that character on The Wire called Dennis ("Cutty") Wise - just so utterly incongruous.)

Comment

When Petter Myhre took over my club Valerenga temporarily in mid-season 2006 he was 34 and I was 36. The incumbent manager left the job in disgust after a hugely embarassing cup exit. Myhre was given the job permanently the next year but resigned after only half a season in charge following yet another hugely embarassing cup exit.

Two of the five managers we have had since have been younger than me. Our present one, thankfully, is three years older than me.

Comment

Excluding caretaker Giggs, the only Man Utd manager younger than me is OGS. So I was 52.

The first FC Koln coach who had to address me as "Sie" was Zvonimir Soldo in 2009, who is a year younger than me (so I was 43).

Comment

Paul Le Guen. When he left after 9 months I don't know which one of us had aged the most.

Comment

Originally posted by Jobi1 View Post
                                Despite tipping into my 5th decade a few weeks ago, it still hasn't happened for me yet. Closest was a year or so ago with the utterly inept Sam Collins, who appeared young and woefully inexperienced but is actually 3 years my senior. Perhaps it was the ill-fated experiment of having Chris Brass as player-manager in his mid-20s circa 2004 that has kept our board mostly favouring the older gentleman ever since.
                                Another reason for me to dislike Collins is that he broke my duck on this for York full time managers (Cresswell has one game as caretaker didn’t he?).

Brass is only a few months older than me. I remember at the time that it didn’t feel right.

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
                                  (Incidentally, how weird is it to have that character on The Wire called Dennis ("Cutty") Wise - just so utterly incongruous.)
                                  I know. One letter out.

Comment

None yet at Liverpool, I'm a couple of years younger than Rodgers. At Dundalk it's Ian Foster who got the job in 2010 aged 33. He's now high up in the England set-up. El-G mentions Stephen Kenny above, indeed the League of Ireland has always been a hotspot for young managers to get a start. Right now the managers of Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland, England U18 and Stoke (via Northern Ireland) are all under-50 and League of Ireland graduates.

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
                                      (Incidentally, how weird is it to have that character on The Wire called Dennis ("Cutty") Wise - just so utterly incongruous.)

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                                        thought I was older than Mark Robins, but he's got 3 years on me, I guess I mentally grouped him in with Giggs and the Class of 92 boys, but of course he came before them, and indeed paved the way for them by saving Ferguson's job that time.
                                        Whereas I have 6 months on Mark Robins.

Comment

Mick Harford's less than impressive reign in 2005 was the first by a full-time manager younger than me.

Comment

Originally posted by Crystal Staples View Post
                                            Hasn't happened yet. Neil Young, appropriately, has come closest. He was 40 when appointed in 2015, I was 36.
                                            And now it has, with 39 year old Simon Rusk appointed yesterday.

Comment

I can't find a DOB for Nicky English, but it will have been him. My own fault, obvs.

No-one before that was anywhere near my age. Since him, we've had one more - Neal Ardley.

Comment

Originally posted by 1974ddr View Post
                                                Paul Lambert. Since him, only Steve Bruce has been older than me. I suspect he will remain the answer to 'last manager of your club to be older than you'. But you never know... Warnock, McCarthy, Hughes... They're still out there.
                                                I think mine would be Lambert as well. Bruce is older, but definitely not wiser, than me.
                                                Last edited by Mr Beast; 28-01-2021, 11:24.

Comment

AVB seems to have been the only Spurs manager who's younger than me, by five years. Poch is six months older than I am, and Tactics Tim is three years older. (Both of them came after AVB, too.)

Comment

Craig Levein was the first permanent Leicester manager to be younger than me; though if we're counting caretaker managers then it would be Garry Parker who was in change for a week in 2001.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X