First Manager of your Club who was born after you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Manager of your Club who was born after you

I passed this threshold in 2006 when Barnsley appointed Simon Davey. All but two since then have been younger than me, and one of those had done the job before.

Last 3 managers McClaren Bruce and Benitez are all within 12 months of my birth though on wrong side so getting closer. Though if Shearer 8 game run in 2009 is counted the threshold has already been passed.

Comment

Far as I can tell, it is Gus Poyet. It was very nearly Micky Adams but he's a month older.

And, yes, I do feel thoroughly decrepit now, diolch yn fawr..,

Comment

Bryan Robson, who joined in 1994. Other than the Venables interlude in 2001 they've all been younger ever since. Until this week ...

Comment

Brendan Rodgers at Liverpool, in 2013. At Exeter, I lost this race when they appointed Paul Tisdale in 2006. Current boss Matt Taylor is younger than Signora Rogin, who is eleven years younger than me.

Comment

Trevor Francis. He's almost eight years younger than me, so would have been 32 (ish) when he was appointed QPR manager in 1988.

Comment

Excluding very brief caretaker spells, it'd be Paul Simpson in 2003 at Carlisle.

Comment

Current Ireland manager Stephen Kenny, whe he replaced Roddy Collins in 2001.In fairness, he was only 30 when he took the job ( I was 37). We've had 6 permanent managers since then, and Kenny is younger than 4 of them.

Comment

Sam Ricketts is younger than me. Paul Hurst is only a year older than me. I don't think we've had any younger managers.

Comment

Dougie Freedman. His reign at our place aged us both considerably.

Comment

There wasn’t one, but there’s only two years between me and Ryan Lowe.

Comment

Hasn't happened yet. Ajax' youngest ever manager is eleven years older than I am.

Comment

Alex Neil for me. Appointed Norwich manager in January 2015 aged just 33 – I was 35. He's actually a few days younger than my younger brother, too.

Comment

It appears to be Michael Appleton in 2014.

Comment

Paul Hurst is two years younger than me, with his predecessor Graham Alexander being 6 months my senior.

I thought I was older than Mark Robins, but he's got 3 years on me, I guess I mentally grouped him in with Giggs and the Class of 92 boys, but of course he came before them, and indeed paved the way for them by saving Ferguson's job that time.

Comment

Brendan 'Ted' Rodgers. Previously only Paulo Sousa came close.

Comment

Roberto di Matteo, appointed in summer 2009, was the first Albion manager/coach to be younger than me.

Since him, all except Darren Moore have been older. I knew there had to be at least one reason to be grateful for the appointments of Alan Irvine, Tony Pulis and Alan Pardew.

Comment

We appear to have a frontrunner for this thread. Aside from caretakers, for me the first Reading manager was Brendan Rogers in 2009. He’s nine years my junior and I’m surprised to find that self-appointed incumbent Mark Bowen is slightly my senior.

Comment

For me it's Garry Monk, though this seems like a false statistic since Wednesday haven;t had any managers born between 65 and 79 (Monk). Carlos Carvalhal was born 3 months before me.

Edit: If we include caretaker managers it will be Lee Bullen (71)

Comment

I'm a month younger than current manager Thomas Frank, two months younger than Nicky Forster, and between 1 and 3 years younger than several others. Lee Carsley had ten games in charge, but refused to call himself manager, and I'm fully agreeing with him, as he's younger than me so it woud ruin my record.

Comment

None yet - despite our recent reputation for hiring young managers, Sam Ricketts is ten months older than me, Dean Keates four years, Bryan Hughes six years.

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate Leszno View Post
                                            Excluding very brief caretaker spells, it'd be Paul Simpson in 2003 at Carlisle.
                                            Graham Kavanagh for me, whatever year he took over. He was also under suspicion for the last player who was older, but he cleared that bar by nearly two years, I was surprised to read.

Comment

None yet. Michael Duff is our youngest manager for some time and he's 6 and a half years older than me.

Comment

Eddie Howe for me. I am younger than Sean Dyche though.

Comment

Hasn't happened yet. Neil Young, appropriately, has come closest. He was 40 when appointed in 2015, I was 36.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X