Too Poor To Prosper - Division 2 2020/21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too Poor To Prosper - Division 2 2020/21

We appear to be one of the few clubs knowing that we're playing in the second division next season, and, almost certainly back in the third the following season...

It's the Barnsley/Rotherham Yorkshire two-step

Comment

Ha, it does appear to be going that way.

Comment

Why isn't the division's name in the title?

Comment

Because I fucked up...

Comment

I'll ask Snake Plissken to change it...

Comment

Isn't it supposed to be Division 2?

Comment

Yup. Snake Plissken, please do the honours. Thanks.

Comment

So is this to be the Championship thread? I do wonder what shape Norwich will be in next season; they look pretty desperate at the moment.

Comment

So, before the previous season has started, I'm already hoping that Wigan stay up in 2020 and start this season with a points deduction. I'm not nice.

Comment

Looks like Norwich fancy a trip to the New York...

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                        So is this to be the Championship thread? I do wonder what shape Norwich will be in next season; they look pretty desperate at the moment.
                        I'd not bet against them going back up. If Villa drop, the impact of FFP may do for their chances.

Comment

Do we have any clues as to a likely start date for this tier? Since they are already playing within COVID protocols, there doesn't seem to be any need to delay much if they keep playing to the same regulations. I don't think they have to wait for Tiers 3 and 4 given that they went their own way over not finishing the season early.

Comment

Originally posted by Foot of Astaire's View Post
                            I'd not bet against [Norwich] going back up.
                            Ditto.

Comment

So, we have two south Wales clubs and lose one of the west London ones. Still, an easy trip to Watford makes up for that.

Comment

Starting on zero points is an overrated concept, anyway.

Comment

-12 is very Italian, yes

Comment

What on earth is the justification for postponing the points deduction?

Comment

You can join Derby on the Midland Main Line, er, Derby though?

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                        What on earth is the justification for postponing the points deduction?
                                        To allow time for appeals, I presume, which can now unfold at a leisurely pace without delaying the start of next season.

Actually I wonder how legally watertight the wording is on that front? Given the current national situation there's got to be a reasonable chance that season 2020-21 either will have to be abandoned or won't start at all. That might be some sort of avenue that the club explores.

Comment

But they've delayed the outcome to today. It makes no sense.

Comment

Yeah, but if they'd made the decision, say, a month ago there would still have been an appeal from either the club or the EFL and that takes time given that a new commission has to be formed to hear said appeal. Birmingham's case earlier in the season saw the decision announced on March 6th and the appeal didn't complete until June 11th (admittedly unclear how much of a role Covid played in that timescale). The question is more why it has taken eight and a half months from being charged to reach this point.

Comment

Will Charlton take legal action?

Comment

I hope so.

I really can't see why Wigan are punished this, but Wednesday next season.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                                  I hope so.

I really can't see why Wigan are punished this, but Wednesday next season.
                                                  Wigan went into administration which is an automatic 12 points deduction. Was it Ken Bates who put Leeds into admin when they were already relegated, prompting the EFL to have a cut off date when that deduction took place?

There was still plenty of the season left in Wigan's case so it was right it took place this season. If they'd hung onto that lead against Fulham in their last game, we wouldn't be having the debate.

In Wednesday's case, as I see it, it's a breach of FFP which doesnt get an automatic sanction. A panel was only set up in June to look at the ground sale, a time when the season would usually be over. It's the right decision imo that now they've been found guilty, the punishment should take place at the start of the following season.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X