Too Poor To Prosper - Division 2 2020/21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by longeared View Post
    The question is more why it has taken eight and a half months from being charged to reach this point.
    Well quite - this should have taken about a week.

I can't imagine Charlton would be able to get it together enough to take action - I'm surprised they managed to put together a statement saying they might.

Comment

Charlton trying to pull together to take legal action is quite a
      humorous notion.

Comment

My club only narrowly escaped being in their position but had been preparing for legal action for months, whereas Charlton dropped into the bottom 3 quite late and might not have realized until now that they had this potential escape route.

To be fair, if you finish below 50 points and survive, you've been lucky, including Barnsley, although this season has had an exceptional number of poor sides and cheating clubs. Next season's standards are likely to be even worse, which might enable Sheff Wed to scramble to safety.
        Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 01-08-2020, 10:32.

Comment

Fixtures are out. First two away matches for my lot are Watford and QPR which I'd normally go to. Brentford is in early November but I can't see away fans being let in anywhere by then. So, perhaps Millwall in March but I guess even that might be doubtful.
          Last edited by Capybara; 21-08-2020, 08:59.

Comment

Fixture day is somewhat ruined by the "no fans" thing. I was briefly excited by "Ooh - Birmingham away, that's a good one" but then realised that of course I wasn't going to go.

Comment

I looked at it in the sense of wondering what the first game I'll be allowed to go to will be. Going for Swansea home on February 13th.

Also liked the fact we're away to Wayne Rooney's Derby on the last day. I'm sure that will be a general love in for the EFL. Winner sends the loser down?

Comment

Wycombe's first ever game at this level is at home to us. And it'll only be seen by the red kites...

Comment

I wonder how long Derby are going to be able to afford Rooney's* wages, or is his main purpose to sell replica shirts?

*Rooney turns 35 in October.

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
                    Fixture day is somewhat ruined by the "no fans" thing. I was briefly excited by "Ooh - Birmingham away, that's a good one" but then realised that of course I wasn't going to go.
                    Non-season ticket holders won't be getting into the new stadium for a good while going by today's update.

Comment

To my astonishment I am slightly excited about Wycombe in Division 2. It's some rather twisted local patriotism thing - twisted because I have only been to Wycombe once, it's the other end of the county to where I hail from. Nonetheless, they are Bucks in the big leagues.

Comment

I hope Wycombe survive. I used to go to their old ground — with the 45 degree angle pitch — following Hitchin back in the old Isthmian League days. Also Gareth Ainsworth is a bit of a QPR legend, someone who generally gets mentioned in our annual New Manager stakes. Finally love quartered shirts, any club that wears them is OK in my book.

Comment

Our board have managed to keep hold of a manager, not just for one whole season, but into a second. The way we completely capitulated following the return was a big surprise and I feared for the managers job as we finished in relegation form. That and the target was play-offs, which we clearly should have been able to manage, but so miserably failed to hold on to.

Happy with the signings so far. All freebies. Taylor is a good player from what I've seen of him and overdue first team backup/partner for Grabban. I hope he only appears to be a bit of a mercenary and I'm not sure why he didn't extend his contract a few weeks at the end of last season to help Charlton out. Was he trying to make sure he didn't get injured in preperation for his last big contract? Blackett and Colback are very solid free signings, so things are looking fairly stable. Hold the front page!

I expect either Cash or Carvalho may leave to keep the finances stable, which is sad, yet seemingly inevitable at this level. We don't get into this selling your own stadium to get around FFP nonsense, which for some, now appears to be backfiring.
                          Last edited by Harbinger of Hope; 21-08-2020, 18:49. Reason: typo and edit

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
                            To my astonishment I am slightly excited about Wycombe in Division 2. It's some rather twisted local patriotism thing - twisted because I have only been to Wycombe once, it's the other end of the county to where I hail from. Nonetheless, they are Bucks in the big leagues.
                            I’m with you there. Although Reading are my team, I have a feeling Wycombe may actually be closer to my part of Maidenhead. I spent a lot more of my youth in the environs of Wycombe and Henley than Reading. Hang on I’ll work it out.

Pinkneys Green to Wycombe Wanderers FC 9.4 miles
                            Pinkneys Green to Reading FC 17.2 miles

Comment

Will this season be the first Berks-Bucks FL local derby?

Comment

apparently not. They met 4 years in a row in the third division between the 98/99 season and the 01/02 season

https://www.11v11.com/teams/wycombe-...ition/Reading/

Comment

Cripes have Wycombe been in the FL that long! I'd have guessed ten years or so.

Comment

Nearly thirty years now.

Comment

I'm convinced entire decades evaporate as you get older.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                        Cripes have Wycombe been in the FL that long! I'd have guessed ten years or so.
                                        But for one season, even we've been in the League 21 years. Wycombe have been in the League since I became more than just a child who liked kicking a ball to someone who followed it quite avidly.

Comment

https://twitter.com/AlexMiller91/status/1297058133416849409?s=19

Comment

Holy shit. I’m really feeling the lure of Wycombe now.

Comment

A huge blow for Swansea just before the start of the season, Trevor Birch has left to join Spurs.

Birch was our chairman for only 17 months but he stabilised the club, got our finances into some order and rebuilt the relationship with the fans that Huw Jenkins had destroyed. If it weren't for him I think we would have ended up in Division 3.

Comment

I was thinking: there's a disproportionate number of Boro fans here compared to the other clubs in the region.

Comment

See also Oxford and Brentford

Comment

Maybe it's something to do with having moved away from home but kept WSC as an anchor to the club as well as what got us into football as kids, and WSC achieved greater market penetration where we have lived? But I can't explain why we have two Barnsley fans here but no Sheffield United and not more than two Leeds AFAIK.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X